Heart rate and fat burning

Old August 7th 04, 01:42 PM
GABIKE

Default Heart rate and fat burning

I started road biking 2 1/2 years ago as a way to improve my fitness. Since
then I have become addicted and have started thinking about racing. My first
year I rode 800 miles, my second year 900 miles. So far this year I have ridden
1,600 miles. My endurance is up, my max speed it up, but Im not losing any
weight. The other day during a club ride I was talking to one of the local
racers and he suggested in order to lose fat I need to slow down and decrease
my heart rate. During a normal ride I have an average HR at around 185, he said
all Im doing is burning glucose and not fat and that I need to slow it down to
an average HR of around 140.
Im sure the guy was being honest with me but before I drastically change the
way I ride I wanted to get the opinions of some others who race and may have
been in my shoes at some point.
Im 32 yeas old, 6ft tall and 195#'s
Thanks for any help you can give.
Old August 7th 04, 04:40 PM
steve

In article
,
wrote:

(GABIKE) writes:

I started road biking 2 1/2 years ago as a way to improve my fitness. Since

[...]
Im 32 yeas old, 6ft tall and 195#'s
Thanks for any help you can give.

Yepperz. Long Slow Distance aerobic rides are the way to burn fat

[...]

here is an interesting discussion on the matter:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...=OlTv4.1550%24
M83.61633%40newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net&rnum= 4&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3D
en%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26q%3Dfat%26btnG%3DSearch%26meta%3Dgroup%253Drec .
bicycles.racing
Old August 7th 04, 05:15 PM
h squared

steve wrote:

In article
,
wrote:

(GABIKE) writes:

I started road biking 2 1/2 years ago as a way to improve my fitness. Since

[...]
Im 32 yeas old, 6ft tall and 195#'s
Thanks for any help you can give.

Yepperz. Long Slow Distance aerobic rides are the way to burn fat

[...]

here is an interesting discussion on the matter:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...=OlTv4.1550%24
M83.61633%40newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net&rnum= 4&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3D
en%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26q%3Dfat%26btnG%3DSearch%26meta%3Dgroup%253Drec .
bicycles.racing

easier link to use-
http://groups.google.com/groups?&thr....earthlink.net

(thanks to dronkert for teaching me that trick)
Old August 7th 04, 05:54 PM
Chris

"GABIKE" wrote in message
I started road biking 2 1/2 years ago as a way to improve my fitness.

Since
then I have become addicted and have started thinking about racing. My

first
year I rode 800 miles, my second year 900 miles. So far this year I have

ridden
1,600 miles. My endurance is up, my max speed it up, but Im not losing any
weight. The other day during a club ride I was talking to one of the local
racers and he suggested in order to lose fat I need to slow down and

decrease
my heart rate. During a normal ride I have an average HR at around 185, he

said
all Im doing is burning glucose and not fat and that I need to slow it

down to
an average HR of around 140.

I am sure he was "honest" but that is kind of simplistic. The only reason to
slow down your heart rate during ride is if and when you *need to* to add
more volume to your training. Don't slow down until you can increase your
time on the bike and use your "freshness" as a guide to how much you slow
down. I would say for your volume you need to continue at that pace, but
only if you are able to ride recovered for your next rides. BTW, when you do
this, you will want to add rides that are lower in intenstity and keep some
rides at the same or higher. Likely you will end up not slowing down at all
for the amount of time you are currently on the bike. When you add
additional rides, take *only those* at the slower pace to aid recovery, to
add aerobic capacity and to burn more calories and so on.

Im sure the guy was being honest with me but before I drastically change

the
way I ride I wanted to get the opinions of some others who race and may

have
been in my shoes at some point.
Im 32 yeas old, 6ft tall and 195#'s
Thanks for any help you can give.

Your volume likely needs to be much higher before you consider racing. If
you really are going to race, you need to get your volume to near where you
will need to for your racing objectives and then work on your diet. Well, it
is better to have already done it, but it might be too much to handle going
out and changing so much at once. You might try making both changes at the
same time because it could very well be the case that your current diet
can't support higher volumes of training yet.

Simply riding lots will not cause a much weight loss unless you have already
been eating a really healthy diet. What can happen is that your body craves
certain foods as a result of your training and if it can't get it from what
you eat, you will likely end up eating more of what you already do and then
maybe something else on top of it. That is why there are so many overweight
weekend warrior athletes.

Start reading up on typical performance of racers in your class (including
age if you plan to race with age graded masters). Look for groups of riders
(preferably racers and even better if they are close to who you will race
against) ASAP and then start planning that training volume, specialization
(of training) and then get your diet sorted out. Once you have a sense for
where you need to be WRT weight, power and endurance, try to increase each
in reasonable increments (that you will learn about as you go). If you do it
this way, you will likely be able to at least not finish DFL and get forever
turned off to racing. Maybe you are a natural athlete and you don't need all
of this but you are here, so you may as well find out the most likely path
to reasonable success.

Old August 7th 04, 07:11 PM
Daremo

Keeping an entire ride averaging 185 is pretty damn brutal ........

You are basically above your anaerobic threshhold the whole time. You
want to be aerobic.

The formulae evevryone is putting out will probably do the trick.

But what everyone is not telling you is the nutrition and hydration
part of it. More important the the numbers and calories you put out is
the type and amount you put in. Make sure your diet is balanced and
thought out.

One example is don't eat a big/heavy meal after you ride as your body
will be too busy burning calories from the ride to really process it
well. Food combining like heavy starches (ie. carbos) with proteins
cause your digestion to get all f'ed up. Combine starches with
vegtables at about a 1:2 or 1:3 ratio (less carbs to more veggies).
Same goes for proteins.

Key to it is ride in your aerobic zone (age/fitness/weight calculated)
and eat intelligently. THEN you will lose the weight that you want.

--
Daremo

Old August 7th 04, 07:21 PM
Tom Young

(GABIKE) wrote in message ...
[...]

I think you need a new heart rate monitor. Using the rule of thumb
formula for maximum heart rate of 220 – your age, your calculated max
heart rate is 188. If your actual *average* heart rate on your rides
is 185 - 98.4% of maximum – then those 2 minute rides you're taking
aren't burning many calories.

I've read that when you are exercising at fairly low heart rates,
probably around 50% - 60% of max (94 – 113 bpm in your case) the body
tends to get a slightly higher proportion of its energy from stored
fat than when you're exercising with a heart rate closer to the max.
But, for weight control, that's largely irrelevant. No matter what,
the issue of calories in versus calories out prevails. If you train
at a very low heart rate, burning slightly more fat than you would at
a high heart rate, but consume more calories than you expend, you'll
gain weight.

What you need to do is do long distance rides at something like 60% -
75% of maximum heart rate, something you can sustain for many hours,
and be careful about what you eat. It's not the issue of the
percentage of energy the body is getting from stored fat. Rather,
it's the issue of expending a lot of calories on these long training
rides and then not replenishing those calories by overeating.
Old August 7th 04, 07:42 PM
IMKen

"GABIKE" wrote in message
[...]

Good for you on getting out with the bike. First you need to understand
that 1600 miles is a lot to a guy that never biked before but extremely
little for one who races. I am an amateur riding in the older age groups
these days and still manage 200 to 250 miles per week. Add more time on
the bike when you can find the time and interest. Watch the type of foods
you consume and your weight will begin to come down and your ability to
perform better will go up. Keep it up and be consistent.

Ken

Old August 7th 04, 10:52 PM
Sam

"GABIKE" wrote in message
[...]

The guy does not know what he is talking about. Weight loss is a function
of creating an energy deficit. The fuel "used" does not matter. Many
people have misunderstood that lower intensity might mean a higher
percentage of energy from fat, but that is not the only way to lose weight.

I would agree that slowing down to develop a base is a great idea since
cycling is an aerobic sport (dammit!). 1600 miles in 7 months is not that
much riding (40 mpw?) however enough that you should be losing some weight
as long as you are not increasing your energy intake.

Also, you say you are not losing weight, are your clothes fitting
differently (looser)?

I would suggest upping the volume of riding to get more miles in and also
seeing a sport nutritionist--not someone who calls themselves that, but
someone with a degree and preferably a registered dietitian to assess your
diet. Often times small changes in diet are all that is needed (like
reducing desserts or soft drink intake).

Old August 7th 04, 10:58 PM
Sam

"Daremo" wrote in message
news

Keeping an entire ride averaging 185 is pretty damn brutal ........

You are basically above your anaerobic threshhold the whole time. You
want to be aerobic.

The formulae evevryone is putting out will probably do the trick.

But what everyone is not telling you is the nutrition and hydration
part of it. More important the the numbers and calories you put out is
the type and amount you put in. Make sure your diet is balanced and
thought out.

One example is don't eat a big/heavy meal after you ride as your body
will be too busy burning calories from the ride to really process it
well. Food combining like heavy starches (ie. carbos) with proteins
cause your digestion to get all f'ed up. Combine starches with
vegtables at about a 1:2 or 1:3 ratio (less carbs to more veggies).
Same goes for proteins.

For someone training, I would say it is a good idea to each a moderate
to high carb meal after training to increase muscle glycogen resynthesis
rate. A little protein might help that, but there are other and perhaps
better reasons to take in some protein post exercise.