Bicycle riddle

Old June 3rd 17, 07:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default Bicycle riddle

On Sat, 03 Jun 2017 18:53:36 +0700, John B.
wrote:

On Fri, 02 Jun 2017 08:31:23 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:
Some discussion on the hat (kippah) thing:
http://messianicfellowship.50webs.com/kippah.html
In Herbrew tradition, only the men wear a kippah. The women go
bareheaded. Also notice that angles do not wear a kippah.

I thought that a proper Jewish wife covered her hair. Even to the
extent of wearing a wig.

Y'er right. Women wear a shawl or some kind of head covering. But
only men wear a kippah.

Angels may not wear a kippah but the Pope wears a zucchetto, which
might be described as an Italian yarmulke :-)

Yep, and for good reason. A small symbolic kippah and shawl were
quite adequate for the early days of Judaism and Christianity. During
the middle ages, the Christian establishment decided to subsidize the
building trades by construction huge churches, basilicas, chapels,
cathedrals, etc. Unfortunately, the budget didn't include central
heating, making praying in these monstrosities a rather chilling
experience. The papal robes and associated accessories were far more
practical than decorative as they were intended to keep the wearer
warm. The mutation of the kippah into a zucchetto was part of the
process. I'm not sure where the camauro came from, but I suspect it
either has something to do with staying warm, or Santa Claus:
https://www.google.com/search?q=camauro&tbm=isch

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=painting+Hebrew+angels
How much of this Victorian and Edwardian men followed is debatable.
More likely, it was driven by the fashions of the day, not biblical
precedents. In the late 19th century, when bicycle playing cards and
safety bicycles were being contrived, it was common, fashionable, and
customary to wear a hat when outdoors. I have no clue if the fashion
extended to angels.

I believe that women covering their hair is more or less a world wide
custom. At least I've observed that single women in Asia quite often
wear their hair loose down their back (My Thai wife had hair almost to
her waist when I met her) and after marriage they either cut it off
wear it up. European women (the gentle born at least) always cover
their head or wear a hat to enter a church. I'm not sure about modern
Church attire but the Nuns I see here all cover their hair. Muslim
women cover their hair, at a minimum, and as I mentioned I understand
that some Jewish women cover their hair after marriage.

That sounds right. Among Jewish women, only married orthodox women
cover their hair in public:
http://www.myjewishlearning.com/article/hair-coverings-for-married-women/
This is not a universal practice among orthodox women because it's
considered more a matter of custom, than a religious requirement.

However, that might soon change if bicycle helmet proponents
successfully expand their efforts into safety helmets for pedestrians
or walking helmets:
http://www.digitalslurry.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/scandinavian-walking-helmets-featured.png
Don't forget the lighting:
https://media.treehugger.com/assets/images/2013/11/2478950420_d35f4c180c_o.jpg.650x0_q70_crop-smart.jpg

I was referring specifically to the word "dehydration" and I can't see
the connection between hat and dehydration.

Covering the head and letting the sweat build up in the head covering
also reduces water loss due to evaporation. It's one of the
techniques for desert survival.

Added to that one would have to ask why some bloke that travels by
using wings needs with sandals.

To operate the controls of the space ship that they arrived in and to
give the wings a rest.

Good Lord! They didn't come in space ships. Angels apparently predated
the earth: When God created the earth, the angels "began shouting in
applause". From the book of Job (in the late comers' book)

Yeah, that's a problem. If angels arrived before the earth was
created, then where would they have purchased the shoes err...
sandals?

Incidentally, the earth was created on October 7, 3761 BCE which makes
it 5777 years old.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old June 3rd 17, 10:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:
[...]

Jeff, the giant churches in most of the major cities were built after the Roman Warm Period and hence they were cool in the summer and warm in the winter. During the Medieval Warm Period people were already set in their ways and everyone wore hats. During the Little Ice Age people would go to church because it was much warmer inside those large stone buildings and many people's body heat keeping the air reasonably warm which you couldn't get at home. This probably gave Christian religion (Roman Catholic of course though in the middle east it was Greek Orthodox.)

On entering a church men would doff their hats as a sign of reverence and women would cover their heads for the same reason. But these habits were as a direct result of the Roman Warm Period which occurred during the time of Christ.
Old June 3rd 17, 11:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Saturday, June 3, 2017 at 11:17:36 AM UTC-7, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Incidentally, the earth was created on October 7, 3761 BCE which makes
it 5777 years old.

The problem with direct interpretation of the bible is that it was written by men without modern knowledge. Time and space weren't understood and writing it down in ancient Greek which still cannot be accurately translated presented a problem to modern interpretations.

Science has absolutely NO guesses as to where the matter and energy came from to create the Universe. The motions of the galaxies and the fact that the Universe is accelerating rather than decelerating means that the Big Bang Theory is balderdash.

Real science has no more idea of how our Universe came to be than any of the religions. So pretending that science can be used to interpret anything other than the here and now is silly.
Old June 4th 17, 03:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:
[...]

As for supporting the building trades, You seem to be ignoring the
First and Second Temple :-)
"Herod's Temple was one of the larger construction projects of the 1st
century BCE"

[...]

I suggest that is a bit of an exaggeration, or at least it seems to
be.
http://www.menshealth.com/health/the...e-on-your-body

Added to that one would have to ask why some bloke that travels by
using wings needs with sandals.

To operate the controls of the space ship that they arrived in and to
give the wings a rest.

Good Lord! They didn't come in space ships. Angels apparently predated
the earth: When God created the earth, the angels "began shouting in
applause". From the book of Job (in the late comers' book)

Yeah, that's a problem. If angels arrived before the earth was
created, then where would they have purchased the shoes err...
sandals?

Incidentally, the earth was created on October 7, 3761 BCE which makes
it 5777 years old.

--
Cheers,

John B.

Riddle Squashme UK 20 May 31st 13 08:01 AM
Best Bike Buys searches online bike stores to help you find bicycles,bikes, bicycle parts, bicycle clothing, and bicycle accessories [email protected] UK 1 May 15th 08 09:07 AM
Best Bike Buys searches online bike stores to help you find bicycles,bikes, bicycle parts, bicycle clothing, and bicycle accessories [email protected] Racing 0 May 14th 08 09:55 PM
Best Bike Buys searches online bike stores to help you find bicycles,bikes, bicycle parts, bicycle clothing, and bicycle accessories [email protected] Techniques 0 May 14th 08 09:54 PM
Best Bike Buys searches online bike stores to help you find bicycles,bikes, bicycle parts, bicycle clothing, and bicycle accessories [email protected] General 0 May 14th 08 09:54 PM