New Brunswick legislates to make crowding cyclists an offence

Old June 10th 17, 03:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default New Brunswick legislates to make crowding cyclists an offence

On 2017-06-09 18:04, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 09 Jun 2017 11:57:29 -0700, Joerg

On 2017-06-07 06:47,
wrote:
On Wednesday, June 7, 2017 at 6:19:10 AM UTC-7,
wrote:
On Thursday, June 1, 2017 at 12:51:15 PM UTC-4,
wrote:
On Thursday, June 1, 2017 at 9:35:56 AM UTC-7,
wrote:
About time.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...wick-1.4141075

The result, however, is likely to be that of Ontario's legislation
and *it **will be only enforced after a breach that injures
or kills a cyclist.

That is SOP.

As predicted:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...bike-1.4143365.

--
Andrew Chaplin SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO

You can't be serious can you? The car is king. And the larger
the vehicle the more status it has. And human life means nothing
to them. A driver can lose control of his vehicle and kill people
and be given a traffic fine period.

Until an automobile is treated as a dangerous weapon regardless
of the circumstances no one is going to be safe on the roads.

Unless this is affixed at the end of something more sturdy than his
pool noodle:

http://www.medievalwarfare.info/pics/morningstar.jpg

I bet drivers would become very careful since they don't want
their fancy new status symbol or manliness augmentation object
scratched up.

A couple of years ago while traveling on a heavily traveled road
there was an opening in traffic and there was a narrow overpass
ahead. A double semi a quarter of a mile behind me saw me pull
out in the lane to go under this under pass and slammed the gas
on. He had to be going 70 mph (truck max limit anywhere is 55) as
he approached. The road took a zig-zag under this underpass. As I
got under I pulled over and stopped with the concrete side of the
underpass protecting me. The truck was almost entirely out of
control as he passed by and this trailers swerved into the other
lane where thank God no traffic was at the time. This is a
commute route and it was only a God-send that there wasn't any
traffic there at the time. It was a powdered concrete hauler so
the entire vehicle was covered in grey dust so that it couldn't
be recognized and the license plates were invisible.

I've experience several of those low-lifes but usually in pickup
trucks in various states of dilapidation.

This is a key reason why I am staunchly pro bike path and prefer
riding on those or even more, singletrack, rather than in lanes.
Mountain lions are harmless compared to irate, soused, distracted
or stoned vehicle drivers.

If the cops had watched him do that they would be more likely to
give me a ticket for impeding traffic than they would if he had
hit cars coming the other way and had fatalities. In a real world
this man would have lost his license forever. Instead we see
multiple car pileups not every day but every hour now. No big
deal right?

If you get killed the driver will claim that you "suddenly swerved
into his path and that there was nothing he could do" and then be
acquitted. They even are if the cyclist didn't get killed and has
witnesses. BTST, as a witness in court in such a case. The trucker
didn't even have to pay a token fine.

This is why I believe that motor vehicles should be classified as a
dangerous weapon and be treated as such in any accidents meaning that
any driver causing an accident should be charged with misusing a
dangerous weapon. Remember that this isn't just car-bike but you can
just as easily be driving.

Never going to happen. There is a powerful automotive lobby and there is
no meaningful cycling lobby.

Yes a very powerful lobby. Some 218,084,000 people in the U.S., in
2015, or 66.8% of the U.S. population certainly seem to support the
auto industry.

It also depends where you are. Where I live they failed to install
bicycle infrastructure, hence nobody except sports folks rides, so no
pressure from the population. In Folsom or Davis that is a whole
different story. They always had good cycle paths and thus more riders,
so the number of people concerned results in some clout.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old June 11th 17, 07:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Doahn minimize the result.

Search n read

Civil law compared to statutory law