Belt drive

Old April 13th 19, 03:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Belt drive

On Friday, April 12, 2019 at 8:45:25 PM UTC-5, Tim McNamara wrote:
On Fri, 12 Apr 2019 19:19:22 -0500, AMuzi wrote:
On 4/12/2019 6:37 PM, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 12 Apr 2019 16:07:53 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Friday, April 12, 2019 at 9:27:51 AM UTC-5, db wrote:
My son is set on getting a belt drive for the bike he is building.
What is good about them? You have to have the exact length for your
bike, and if it breaks, it is very expensive to replace.

So, why?

-- Dieter Britz

Go over to YouTube and do a search on Gates Belt Drive. A number of
videos will appear that talks about bikes with this drive system and
usually Rohloff or Pinion gear boxes.

There was a guy at a marina where I kept my boat that had an aluminum
single speed bike with a belt drive. It apparently worked great, he
parked it on the dock next to his boat and it was there for years and
years with no apparent maintenance what so ever. A chain drive would
have been rusted itself into one solid chunk in that period :-)

Was that the Bridgestone OPC14 with V Belt drive?
I sold those . Nicely done, great price, no complaints.

Wild looking thing:

https://sheldonbrown.com/bridgestone...e-opc-14b.html

It says that little bike weighed 29 pounds! I know the belt drive did not add that much. Did the bell and basket add all the extra tonnage?
Old April 13th 19, 03:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

--
Dieter Britz

Go over to YouTube and do a search on Gates Belt Drive. A number of videos will appear that talks about bikes with this drive system and usually Rohloff or Pinion gear boxes.

There was a guy at a marina where I kept my boat that had an aluminum
single speed bike with a belt drive. It apparently worked great, he
parked it on the dock next to his boat and it was there for years and
years with no apparent maintenance what so ever. A chain drive would
have been rusted itself into one solid chunk in that period :-)

Was that the Bridgestone OPC14 with V Belt drive?
I sold those . Nicely done, great price, no complaints.

I don't know. I did noticed that it was a "notched" Vee belt although
I don't think that the pulleys were notched and it was not a fixie and
had brakes fore and aft.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old April 13th 19, 08:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 12/04/2019 16:27, db wrote:
My son is set on getting a belt drive for the bike he
is building. What is good about them? You have to have
the exact length for your bike, and if it breaks, it
is very expensive to replace.

So, why?

Clean, quiet, lighter, maintenance free. You'll need to break the frame
somehow (or a split belt. Anyone used one?) and you'll need either
horizontal dropouts or a eccentric bottom bracket, they have quie a bit
of tension.

For a commuter, with a decent frame, I'd go that way now, for just about
any other application I'd stick with a chain.
Old April 13th 19, 12:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Saturday, April 13, 2019 at 9:52:22 AM UTC+2, Tosspot wrote:
On 12/04/2019 16:27, db wrote:
My son is set on getting a belt drive for the bike he
is building. What is good about them? You have to have
the exact length for your bike, and if it breaks, it
is very expensive to replace.

So, why?

Clean, quiet, lighter, maintenance free. You'll need to break the frame
somehow (or a split belt. Anyone used one?) and you'll need either
horizontal dropouts or a eccentric bottom bracket, they have quie a bit
of tension.

For a commuter, with a decent frame, I'd go that way now, for just about
any other application I'd stick with a chain.

+1 Something like this:

https://www.rosebikes.nl/rose-black-...-heren-2676774

Lou
Old April 16th 19, 09:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2019-04-12 07:27, db wrote:
My son is set on getting a belt drive for the bike he
is building. What is good about them? You have to have
the exact length for your bike, and if it breaks, it
is very expensive to replace.

So, why?

Dad gave him too much money :-)

Now, a shaft drive, that would be great.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old April 25th 19, 07:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Merriman[_4_]

On 2019-04-12 07:27, db wrote:
My son is set on getting a belt drive for the bike he
is building. What is good about them? You have to have
the exact length for your bike, and if it breaks, it
is very expensive to replace.

So, why?

Dad gave him too much money :-)

Now, a shaft drive, that would be great.

Imagine it would be much heavier and complicated, they have been tried and
used on MTB but don’t seem to have been cracked, I think generally the
extra weight/cost though a E-MTB would mitigate that?

Given a choice I’d love a belt drive bike for the commute as I clock up
fairly respectable distances per day which does chew though the drive
chain.

Roger Merriman

Old April 25th 19, 07:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 2019-04-12 07:27, db wrote:
My son is set on getting a belt drive for the bike he
is building. What is good about them? You have to have
the exact length for your bike, and if it breaks, it
is very expensive to replace.

So, why?

Dad gave him too much money :-)

Now, a shaft drive, that would be great.

Imagine it would be much heavier and complicated, they have been tried and
used on MTB but don’t seem to have been cracked, I think generally the
extra weight/cost though a E-MTB would mitigate that?

Given a choice I’d love a belt drive bike for the commute as I clock up
fairly respectable distances per day which does chew though the drive
chain.

Have to say a belt ticks far more boxes that a shaft. If I were doing
it all over again, a belt would be the answer, you don't even have to
enclose it.

Old April 25th 19, 08:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2019-04-12 07:27, db wrote:
My son is set on getting a belt drive for the bike he
is building. What is good about them? You have to have
the exact length for your bike, and if it breaks, it
is very expensive to replace.

So, why?

Dad gave him too much money :-)

Now, a shaft drive, that would be great.

Imagine it would be much heavier and complicated, they have been tried and
used on MTB but don’t seem to have been cracked, I think generally the
extra weight/cost though a E-MTB would mitigate that?

Motorcycle manufacturers have figured it out, most of all BMW. That
company should also build MTB, they know how it's done. Weight doesn't
always matter, especially not for many MTB riders. We just want less
wear and most importanly not have to clean and lube the chain every 50
miles.

It often takes the bicycle industry decades longer to figure something
out. Such as decent heavy-duty rack space on FS MTB and central-battery
powered lighting where, no surprise, I had to build it all myself. Beats
me why one still cannot buy this:

http://www.analogconsultants.com/ng/bike/Muddy5.JPG

It's lasted many thousand hard miles now which included heavy loads.
Yeah, that bike is heavy but it never breaks down anymore.

Given a choice I’d love a belt drive bike for the commute as I clock up
fairly respectable distances per day which does chew though the drive
chain.

I'd be careful ...

https://www.thelocal.se/20180524/ike...-lead-to-falls

Old April 25th 19, 10:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On 2019-04-25 11:00, Roger Merriman wrote:
Joerg wrote:
On 2019-04-12 07:27, db wrote:
[...]

Weight of an MTB doesn't matter? What a crock full of El Toro Poo Poo! Maybe weight doesn't matter in your world but it sure does to a LOT of other MTB users. I keep telling you Joerg; your best bet to get the durability that you say YOU need is to buy a small gasoline powered dirt motorcycle and convert it to pedal power. After all, weight doesn't matter to you.

Cheers
Old April 25th 19, 10:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2019-04-25 11:00, Roger Merriman wrote:
Joerg wrote:
On 2019-04-12 07:27, db wrote:
[...]

Within reason, of course. There are people who rather ride a bicycle
that weighs 10lbs more than customary but in contrast to others they
generally arrive at their destinations on time, due to a lack of
breakdowns. I happen to be one of those.

The only times during the last years (!) that I didn't arrive on time
were when I assisted others during repairs. Because they didn't have
thorn-resistant tubes et cetera.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

What is the case with belt drive? Andre Jute[_2_] Techniques 62 October 27th 09 08:42 AM
Belt Drive Arrives Leo Lichtman[_2_] Techniques 1 November 22nd 08 12:40 AM
Belt drive parts hhu Techniques 0 January 30th 05 10:26 PM
SS Belt Drive? supabonbon Mountain Biking 23 November 18th 04 10:53 PM
SS Belt Drive? supabonbon Techniques 39 November 18th 04 10:53 PM