Cycling California's coast in the winter

Old September 10th 03, 07:04 PM
Ed

Default Cycling California's coast in the winter

How about cycling California's coast in the winter time (around christmas)?
We are thinking about San Francisco - San Diego. Is it cold, misty or rainy?

Thanks, two dutch cyclists

Old September 10th 03, 07:49 PM
Ken

"Ed" wrote in :
How about cycling California's coast in the winter time (around
christmas)? We are thinking about San Francisco - San Diego. Is it cold,
misty or rainy?

Winter is the rain season along the California coast. It doesn't rain every
day and sometimes you might get a whole week of sunny weather. Days are
short though. Temperature along the coast is generally cool (but generally
above freezing at night), though San Francisco is also cool in the summer.

If you're camping out, April or May might be a better choice.
Old September 10th 03, 09:12 PM
Gerry

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 20:04:44 +0200, "Ed"
wrote:

How about cycling California's coast in the winter time (around christmas)?
We are thinking about San Francisco - San Diego. Is it cold, misty or rainy?

Be forewarned: heavy winter rains can cause flooding and mud slides
and may close coast roads. Heavy fog can also be a problem but can
appear during any season. Generally speaking, although it is hard to
predict major wind patterns, during winner, strong winds will prevail
from south to north.

Average Rainfail (inches)
Dec Jan Jun Jul
San Francisco 2.89 4.45 0.11 0.03
Santa Barbara 2.26 3.57 0.05 0.03
Santa Maria 1.84 2.64 0.05 0.03
San Diego 1.31 2.28 0.09 0.03

Normal Mean Daily Temperature (degrees F)
Dec Jan Jun Jul
San Francisco 49.5 49.4 61.4 62.8
Santa Barbara 53.2 53.1 64.2 67.0
Santa Maria 51.6 51.6 60.9 63.5
San Diego 57.6 57.8 67.4 70.9

Ref:
http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/

Old September 11th 03, 02:39 AM
Zippy the Pinhead

wrote:

How about cycling California's coast in the winter time (around christmas)?
We are thinking about San Francisco - San Diego. Is it cold, misty or rainy?

Yes.
Old September 13th 03, 02:00 AM
peter

wrote:

How about cycling California's coast in the winter time (around christmas)?
We are thinking about San Francisco - San Diego. Is it cold, misty or rainy?

Yes. It's not good riding.

If you're looking for another route that time of year, I rode
the Natchez Trace through Mississippi during the first part of
December and found good weather. This may vary from year to year,
however.

Peter