Pavement motorist jailed for 12 years.

Old January 18th 12, 08:44 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

Default Pavement motorist jailed for 12 years.

Its amazing that such people are let loose on our roads and pavements.
What if a cyclist had happened to get in his way? Presumably he will
be allowed to drive again and put lives at risk following his 10 year
driving ban.

"A drunken motorist who drove his car at a group of his friends
following a row outside a Bristol pub has been jailed for 12 years.

Luke Julius, 25, from Bedminster, mounted a pavement and hit 26-year-
old Beverley Cousins on 11 September 2011.

Bristol Crown Court heard she was so badly injured that she had her
right leg amputated above the knee.

Julius admitted causing grievous bodily harm with intent, dangerous
driving and drink-driving at an earlier hearing..."

Mo
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-16600444

-- .
World Carfree Network.
http://www.worldcarfree.net/
Help for your car-addicted friends in the U.K.
Old January 18th 12, 08:59 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Beretie Wooster

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 23:44:59 -0800 (PST), Doug
wrote:

Its amazing that such people are let loose on our roads and pavements.
What if a cyclist had happened to get in his way? Presumably he will
be allowed to drive again and put lives at risk following his 10 year
driving ban.

"A drunken motorist who drove his car at a group of his friends
following a row outside a Bristol pub has been jailed for 12 years.

Luke Julius, 25, from Bedminster, mounted a pavement and hit 26-year-
old Beverley Cousins on 11 September 2011.

Bristol Crown Court heard she was so badly injured that she had her
right leg amputated above the knee.

Julius admitted causing grievous bodily harm with intent, dangerous
driving and drink-driving at an earlier hearing..."

Mo
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-16600444

I thought this reckless pavement motoring thing was all a bit of a
myth until I heard the story of a colleague.

Her daughter had just emerged from her front door in Lewisham when she
was hit by a motorist completely on the pavement. The mother screamed
at the driver who just drove off.

Incidently, the road was completely clear, and the motorist had no
lights on at 5.30.
Old January 18th 12, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Just zis Guy, you know?[_33_]

wrote:

[...]

There was anther one on the news this morning. Bloke mounted the
pavement twice, turns out he'd failed a roadside eyesight test not
long before.

Guy
--
Guy Chapman, http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
The usenet price promise: all opinions are guaranteed
Old January 18th 12, 09:32 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Just zis Guy, you know?[_33_]

On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 08:21:39 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
wrote:

There was anther one on the news this morning. Bloke mounted the
pavement twice, turns out he'd failed a roadside eyesight test not
long before.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-24027874-girl-killed-on-pavement-by-87-year-old-urged-by-police-to-give-up-driving.do

Guy
Old January 18th 12, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Partac[_7_]

"Doug" wrote in message

Its amazing that such people are let loose on our roads and pavements.
What if a cyclist had happened to get in his way? Presumably he will
be allowed to drive again and put lives at risk following his 10 year
driving ban.

"A drunken motorist who drove his car at a group of his friends
following a row outside a Bristol pub has been jailed for 12 years.

Luke Julius, 25, from Bedminster, mounted a pavement and hit 26-year-
old Beverley Cousins on 11 September 2011.

Bristol Crown Court heard she was so badly injured that she had her
right leg amputated above the knee.

Julius admitted causing grievous bodily harm with intent, dangerous
driving and drink-driving at an earlier hearing..."

You're always banging on that motorists are getting let off lightly. Could
you please now furnish an example of where a pavement cyclist is imprisoned
for 12 years?

Old January 18th 12, 10:57 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Jan 18, 9:24*am, "Partac" wrote:

You're always banging on that motorists are getting let off lightly. Could
you please now furnish an example of where a pavement cyclist is imprisoned
for 12 years?

They tend not to kill anybody though.

--
Simon Mason
Old January 18th 12, 11:00 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Squashme

On Jan 18, 9:24*am, "Partac" wrote:
"Doug" *wrote in message

[...]

Could you find a comparable case?

"The court heard that Julius has previous convictions for violence.

In 2004 he appeared before the juvenile court for assaulting a police
officer and received an absolute discharge.

In June 2005 Julius faced Bristol Crown Court accused of a knife point
robbery and was sent to a young offenders' institution for 30 months.

The following November he was sentenced to 12 weeks custody by
magistrates in Bristol for assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

And in December 2007 he received a community order after being
convicted of using threatening words or behaviour."

He will be allowed to use his weapon again one day. Should such a
person as him have been considered a fit person to permit to drive? It
is rightly being suggested that older motorists should be better
regulated. Perhaps violent criminals should also be re-assessed by the
same authorities?

It seems that he pleaded not guilty to attempted murder and this was
accepted. He seemed to wish to kill someone, though perhaps not Miss
Cousins. So 12 years may not be that heavy.
Old January 18th 12, 11:15 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

On Jan 18, 9:24*am, "Partac" wrote:
"Doug" *wrote in message

[...]

Can't you read? This guy had previous and his use of his car-weapon
was deliberate.

-- .
A driving licence is a licence to kill.
Old January 18th 12, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Jan 18, 10:15*am, Doug wrote:
On Jan 18, 9:24*am, "Partac" wrote:

"Doug" *wrote in message

[...]

A driving licence is a licence to kill.- Hide quoted text -

Partac would defend a mass murderer if it scored him a point against
cyclists.

--
Simon Mason
Old January 18th 12, 11:23 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Partac[_7_]

"Doug" wrote in message

On Jan 18, 9:24 am, "Partac" wrote:
"Doug" wrote in message

[...]

Yes I can read, but you obviously cannot. Now I repeat the question: could
you please furnish me details of where a pavement cyclist (using his
bicycle-weapon) receives a sentence of 12 years.

And no, I will not be giving a comparable example: It's not me who is making
any claims - i am merely asking a question, which I suspect will go
unanswered.