Low profile tires ?

Old June 1st 17, 05:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DougC

Default Low profile tires ?

On 5/31/2017 9:33 PM, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 31 May 2017 07:59:20 -0400, Duane
wrote:

On 30/05/2017 8:46 PM, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 30 May 2017 10:17:41 -0400, Duane
wrote:

On 30/05/2017 9:35 AM, Andy wrote:
On Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 9:30:58 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 7:58:59 PM UTC-7, Andy wrote:
I saw a bike today with the rim real close to the street.

I had a second look and saw black under the rim.

Do they make low profile tires for bikes ?

Andy

We're seeing progressively wider rims that end up pulling the sidewalls of the tire out and the depth of the tire is reduced. In these cases you should use wider tires to obtain a normal profile.

Interesting.

Andy

My HED Ardennes 23SL wheels are 23mm and are designed for 23mm tires.
The current model Ardennses Plus are 25mm and as far as I know they are
designed for 25mm tires.
http://www.hedwheels.com/hed-wheels-faq.asp

Sheldon published a table of rim width and usable tire widths.
--
Cheers,

Not much luck finding Sheldon's comments about HED technology.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html#width

--
Cheers,

John B.

That is the ISO chart, that favors putting relatively wide tires on
narrow rims for testing and for their 'official' sizing definition. I'd
love to see ISO's reasoning for this, but it isn't publicly stated. It
might be in their standards copy, but that costs $200 or whatever to
look at.

Note that for pretty much any other kind of tire, you would never mount
a tire that had a width that was 2X the rim's bead with. Tires on cars,
trucks, ATV, motorcycles, tractors or airplanes is rarely more than
about 1.25 times the rim with at the most.

The current trend among road bikes is the other direction, with the
tire's stated width nearly the same or even less than the rim's outside
width. If this causes any problems, nobody doing it seems to have
noticed yet.

Old June 1st 17, 06:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

The 'stated' is constrained by liability advising engineering.

There are trends

And here suspicions arise due to more various apps like gravel low profile

filled with more riders and LCD

Poss oblivious to a short sidewall is limiting.
Old June 1st 17, 11:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

I know about the charts. I meant the technology of HED wheels which are
recommended to be used with tires the same size as the rims.

--
duane
Old June 1st 17, 12:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

It is my understanding that the HED wheels you are talking about are
designed to run with a specific size tire solely for aerodynamic
reasons in order to minimize drag caused by where air coming off the
tire first reattaches.
https://intheknowcycling.com/2016/04...s-wheel-sizes/

If your concern is the lowest possible drag then I assume that using
HED recommended tire sizes is important.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old June 2nd 17, 12:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

No, your understanding is not correct.
https://www.competitivecyclist.com/h...elset-clincher

Or google HED wheels.

--
duane
Old June 2nd 17, 01:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

I'm not sure about the correct accoutrements for rocking a
HED style statement. From that page:

"Which color scheme are these actually? The first picture
shows the print on the wheel as black with white outlines,
the second picture shows the text in full white?"

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old June 2nd 17, 02:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Yup. I read the site and then I read
https://www.competitivecyclist.com/h...lset-clincher#
Which tells me that:

"If the tech sheet, marketing copy, and glowing reviews from major
publications aren't enough to sell you on the plush, efficient ride of
HED's Ardennes Plus SL Road Wheelset, then just head to your local
two-wheeled hotspot and count the number of times you see that
unmistakable branding roll by on everything from carbon race frames to
steel touring machines with wheelbases you can measure in meters. This
ubiquity is no accident."

Then I got to thinking that I've never seen a "HED's Ardennes Plus SL
Road Wheelset", never. So I just assigned the claims for HED to the
container labeled "Outrageous and unproven claims".
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old June 2nd 17, 02:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Thu, 01 Jun 2017 19:08:48 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Well, if they were white or partly white they certainly weren't
"tactical tires" as everyone knows that the word "tactical" actually
means black.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old June 2nd 17, 10:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

Whatever. If you want to think people use the same tire width as the rim
width because of some aero fettish, that's up to you.

As for what you've seen I can't argue but they're popular here on Québec
roads.

--
duane
Old June 2nd 17, 12:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bertrand

Sheldon published a table of rim width and usable tire widths.

I know about the charts. I meant the technology of HED wheels which are
recommended to be used with tires the same size as the rims.

It is my understanding that the HED wheels you are talking about are
designed to run with a specific size tire solely for aerodynamic
reasons in order to minimize drag caused by where air coming off the
tire first reattaches.
https://intheknowcycling.com/2016/04...s-wheel-sizes/

If your concern is the lowest possible drag then I assume that using
HED recommended tire sizes is important.

A claim (by the wheel manufacturer) of wheel failure caused by using tires
that were too narrow for the rims:

http://www.velonews.com/2017/06/news...tirreno_439821