New Brunswick legislates to make crowding cyclists an offence

Old June 1st 17, 05:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default New Brunswick legislates to make crowding cyclists an offence

About time.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...wick-1.4141075

The result, however, is likely to be that of Ontario's legislation and it will be only enforced after a breach that injures or kills a cyclist.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO

Old June 1st 17, 11:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-06-01 09:51, wrote:
On Thursday, June 1, 2017 at 9:35:56 AM UTC-7, wrote:
About time.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...wick-1.4141075

The result, however, is likely to be that of Ontario's legislation and it will be only enforced after a breach that injures or kills a cyclist.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO

That is SOP.

My impression in California is that after they passed the 3-ft law the
percentage of car drivers who actually give me and other cyclist that or
more space has significantly increased.

For me another increase came much earlier though, when I installed
really bright lights. The rear looks like police cruiser lights from the
distance. The front is bright enough so oncoming drivers see me from
hundreds of yards away and often pull farther to the right to give the
driver on my side more room. That hardly ever happened with the old lights.

Disclaimer: I can only say that for rural and suburban routes and I
rarely cycle in dense city traffic.

And yeah, there is still the occasional low-life doing a close pass in
his banged-up truck or whatever, hurling obscenities out of the window
or showing the finger.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old June 7th 17, 02:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, June 1, 2017 at 12:51:15 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Thursday, June 1, 2017 at 9:35:56 AM UTC-7, wrote:
About time.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...wick-1.4141075

The result, however, is likely to be that of Ontario's legislation
and Â*it Â*Â*will be only enforced after a breach that injures or kills a cyclist.

That is SOP.

As predicted: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...bike-1.4143365.
Old June 7th 17, 02:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, June 7, 2017 at 6:19:10 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Thursday, June 1, 2017 at 12:51:15 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Thursday, June 1, 2017 at 9:35:56 AM UTC-7, wrote:
About time.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...wick-1.4141075

The result, however, is likely to be that of Ontario's legislation
and Â*it Â*Â*will be only enforced after a breach that injures or kills a cyclist.

That is SOP.

As predicted: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...bike-1.4143365.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO

You can't be serious can you? The car is king. And the larger the vehicle the more status it has. And human life means nothing to them. A driver can lose control of his vehicle and kill people and be given a traffic fine period.

Until an automobile is treated as a dangerous weapon regardless of the circumstances no one is going to be safe on the roads.

A couple of years ago while traveling on a heavily traveled road there was an opening in traffic and there was a narrow overpass ahead. A double semi a quarter of a mile behind me saw me pull out in the lane to go under this under pass and slammed the gas on. He had to be going 70 mph (truck max limit anywhere is 55) as he approached. The road took a zig-zag under this underpass. As I got under I pulled over and stopped with the concrete side of the underpass protecting me. The truck was almost entirely out of control as he passed by and this trailers swerved into the other lane where thank God no traffic was at the time. This is a commute route and it was only a God-send that there wasn't any traffic there at the time. It was a powdered concrete hauler so the entire vehicle was covered in grey dust so that it couldn't be recognized and the license plates were invisible.

If the cops had watched him do that they would be more likely to give me a ticket for impeding traffic than they would if he had hit cars coming the other way and had fatalities. In a real world this man would have lost his license forever. Instead we see multiple car pileups not every day but every hour now. No big deal right?
Old June 7th 17, 06:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:
About time.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...wick-1.4141075

The result, however, is likely to be that of Ontario's legislation
and Â*it Â*Â*will be only enforced after a breach that injures or
kills a cyclist.

That is SOP.

As predicted:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...bike-1.4143365.

--
Andrew Chaplin SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO

You can't be serious can you? The car is king. And the larger the
vehicle the more status it has. And human life means nothing to them.
A driver can lose control of his vehicle and kill people and be given
a traffic fine period.

Until an automobile is treated as a dangerous weapon regardless of
the circumstances no one is going to be safe on the roads.

Unless this is affixed at the end of something more sturdy than his pool
noodle:

http://www.medievalwarfare.info/pics/morningstar.jpg

I bet drivers would become very careful since they don't want their
fancy new status symbol or manliness augmentation object scratched up.

[...]

I've experience several of those low-lifes but usually in pickup trucks
in various states of dilapidation.

This is a key reason why I am staunchly pro bike path and prefer riding
on those or even more, singletrack, rather than in lanes. Mountain lions
are harmless compared to irate, soused, distracted or stoned vehicle
drivers.

If the cops had watched him do that they would be more likely to give
me a ticket for impeding traffic than they would if he had hit cars
coming the other way and had fatalities. In a real world this man
would have lost his license forever. Instead we see multiple car
pileups not every day but every hour now. No big deal right?

If you get killed the driver will claim that you "suddenly swerved into
his path and that there was nothing he could do" and then be acquitted.
They even are if the cyclist didn't get killed and has witnesses. BTST,
as a witness in court in such a case. The trucker didn't even have to
pay a token fine.

Old June 8th 17, 03:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:
[...]

This is why I believe that motor vehicles should be classified as a dangerous weapon and be treated as such in any accidents meaning that any driver causing an accident should be charged with misusing a dangerous weapon. Remember that this isn't just car-bike but you can just as easily be driving.

Yesterday as I was entering the freeway all of the lanes were totally clear and as I was about to merge into the slow lane some SOB in the only car for a quarter mile sped up and then honked his horn at me. Then he slowed back down and exited the freeway a mile further down the road. This was little more than assault with a deadly weapon.
Old June 8th 17, 10:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

https://www.google.com/search?q=chia...nVRNZ3AmrPRMM:

Old June 9th 17, 07:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-06-07 06:47,
wrote:
[...]

Never going to happen. There is a powerful automotive lobby and there is
no meaningful cycling lobby.

Yesterday as I was entering the freeway all of the lanes were totally
clear and as I was about to merge into the slow lane some SOB in the
only car for a quarter mile sped up and then honked his horn at me.
Then he slowed back down and exited the freeway a mile further down
the road. This was little more than assault with a deadly weapon.

I had one of those a couple of months ago. Wanted to pass anotehr
cyclist on an uphill, looked back, not one car in the right lane for
miles, just a couple in the fast lane. Signaled with my left arm just to
make sure. The millisecond I pulled farther into the lane to pass I
heard one of them stepping on it, leaning on the horn and then pushing
be to the right. He had pulled into the right lane to zoom up to me.
Just another low-life.

Old June 10th 17, 02:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On 2017-06-07 06:47,
wrote:
[...]

Yes a very powerful lobby. Some 218,084,000 people in the U.S., in
2015, or 66.8% of the U.S. population certainly seem to support the
auto industry.

--
Cheers,

John B.