Making "protected" bike lanes safe

Old April 9th 19, 07:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

Default Making "protected" bike lanes safe

For six or seven years, the loudest and best financed bike lobbying organizations
have been saying we need "protected" bike lanes everywhere. They say it's
obviously inadequate to have just a paint stripe separating bikes from cars; we
need at _least_ posts, and preferably a line of parked cars. You know, so the
bicyclists are totally hidden from motorists until the motorist crosses the bike
lane to access a street or driveway.

Segregation skeptics have been saying for just as long that the "protection"
vanishes precisely where the conflicts are worse. And the design adds new
surprises to traffic interactions. Surprises in traffic are NOT good.

And there have been crashes, just as predicted. A mile of "protected" bike lane
put in Columbus, Ohio a few years ago went from 1.5 car-bike crashes per year
to 13 crashes (IIRC) in the year it was installed.

And here's the latest one: https://sf.streetsblog.org/2019/04/0...e-mixing-zone/

The solution? "Protected" intersections everywhere! https://vimeo.com/86721046

I haven't seen any cost estimates for this new cycling nirvana. That would be
interesting.

- Frank Krygowski
Old April 10th 19, 08:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

It's all folly until we ban cars from areas where there are cyclists and peds present.
Old April 10th 19, 06:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, April 9, 2019 at 11:39:10 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Bike lanes have sufficient "protection" by lines on the street. In many places you have broken glass in the lane and you have to pull out into the full lane. Yesterday there were heavy gusting winds and on the downhills I had to use the entire lane to be able to retain full control.
Old April 10th 19, 06:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

[...]

The problem with far too many painted strip bike lanes is that they put the bicyclist smack dab in the door zone of parked cars. I've seen bike lanes that go partway onto the on ramp of a 100 kph 60 mph highway where bicycles are NOT permitted. The problem is that any motorist using such an on ramp does NOT expect to see a bicyclist there. I use the through traffic lane in those areas and ignore the painted bicycle lane entirely.

That's also not to mention painted bicycle lanes that end suddenly especially those that do it on a downhill.

Cheers
Old April 11th 19, 12:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Wed, 10 Apr 2019 10:40:28 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot

[...]

Perhaps the solution is to go the other way and build motor vehicle
only lanes. This would do essentially the same thing as the bicycle
only lanes of separating the big fierce motor vehicles from the small
meek bicycles.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old April 11th 19, 01:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Wednesday, April 10, 2019 at 7:48:01 PM UTC-4, John B. wrote:
[...]

Or just let the bicycles share the lane with the motor vehicles?

Cheers
Old April 11th 19, 02:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 4/10/2019 8:04 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

It's legal here. It's what I do. It works. Remember, I'm the guy who
doesn't have cars cut across my path, despite the lack of magic DRLs.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 11th 19, 04:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Wed, 10 Apr 2019 17:04:35 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

[...]

Oh No! Thaqt is dangerius which is why politicians are building bike
lanes :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old April 11th 19, 04:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Wed, 10 Apr 2019 21:25:24 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

[...]

Well, I had supposed that building bike lanes was actually beneficial
to the cyclist. Otherwise why would your duly elected leaders build
them? Rather like the great Wall of America that your leader is intent
on building will make the U.S. safe from those poor misbegotten people
in South America.

Strangely we don't have those things here and I don't find it
difficult to ride here :-) In fact, as I have written, the only time I
have felt in real danger was when I ran a stop sign and someone was
coming the other way. It was a three way cross and I didn't see anyone
so just kept going.... I hadn't noticed a pickup which came over the
brow of a little rise. I went off the road (very quickly) and crashed
in a bed of nettles :-)

--
cheers,

John B.

Old April 11th 19, 04:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, April 10, 2019 at 6:48:01 PM UTC-5, John B. wrote:
[...]

Oh, you're not an American obviously. If you were from the USA you would know that Interstates are only for motor vehicles. Bicycles are not allowed on Interstates.