Belt drive

Old April 26th 19, 04:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Belt drive

On 2019-04-25 16:23, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 25 Apr 2019 18:00:49 -0000 (UTC), Roger Merriman

On 2019-04-12 07:27, db wrote:
My son is set on getting a belt drive for the bike he
is building. What is good about them? You have to have
the exact length for your bike, and if it breaks, it
is very expensive to replace.

So, why?

Dad gave him too much money :-)

Now, a shaft drive, that would be great.

Imagine it would be much heavier and complicated, they
have been tried and
used on MTB but don’t seem to have been cracked, I think
generally the
extra weight/cost though a E-MTB would mitigate that?

Bicycles have been built, and sold commercially, with
shaft drives for
a considerable number of years, since 1893 (by the League
Cycle
Company).

Strangely, perhaps because of the efficiency of other
drive systems
they were never what one might call popular.

BMW should sell MTB. They know how shaft-drive is done right.

Given a choice I’d love a belt drive bike for the commute
as I clock up
fairly respectable distances per day which does chew
though the drive
chain.

See:
https://momentummag.com/commuter-bik...-carbon-drive/

https://www.veercycle.com/
or perhaps even better see
https://www.cyclingabout.com/belt-dr...manufacturers/

I wouldn't want a belt drive. If that belt snaps it
generally does so without warning and then it can be a nasty
crash.

That's true but how different to the rider from a broken
chain, driveshaft, crank or pedal?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

You can't fix a broken belt drive with a scrounged fence nail and a rock. VBEG

With all the stuff he already carries he might as well carry a spare belt.

Cheers
Old April 26th 19, 05:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 4/26/2019 10:40 AM, Joerg wrote:
Beats
me why one still cannot buy this:

http://www.analogconsultants.com/ng/bike/Muddy5.JPG

The most likely reason is because there isn't a very large market for
such things. Lets see... you are 1.

Sometimes a market needs to be awakened first. Many times I heard people
say "I had to carry this, that and the other thing so I used the car".
Well, I don't, which is why my bikes see 2-3x the mileage of my car.

And so hundreds of your neighbors now have battle-tank bicycles and have
stopped driving their cars? ;-)

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 26th 19, 05:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Since nobody else has pointed it out yet: Toothed belts must have tension on them to work correctly, without skipping or gnawing their teeth away. Such tension is unhealthy for bottom bracket and hub bearings, and downright destructive to freewheels and freehubs.

I've repaired cheap belt drive bikes whose plastic pulleys had become so worn down in a relatively short time that the belt climbed over the teeth when pedaling hard.

I don't think belt drive makes sense for a bicycle, unless it's a fixed gear. A rear hub would have to be designed and built with static belt tension in mind for it to work well.
Old April 27th 19, 12:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Fri, 26 Apr 2019 07:27:05 -0700, Joerg

On 2019-04-25 16:32, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 25 Apr 2019 14:16:28 -0700, Joerg

On 2019-04-12 07:27, db wrote:
My son is set on getting a belt drive for the bike he is
building. What is good about them? You have to have the exact
length for your bike, and if it breaks, it is very expensive
to replace.

So, why?

Dad gave him too much money :-)

Now, a shaft drive, that would be great.

Imagine it would be much heavier and complicated, they have been
tried and used on MTB but don’t seem to have been cracked, I
think generally the extra weight/cost though a E-MTB would
mitigate that?

Motorcycle manufacturers have figured it out, most of all BMW.
That company should also build MTB, they know how it's done. Weight
doesn't always matter, especially not for many MTB riders. We just
want less wear and most importanly not have to clean and lube the
chain every 50 miles.

It often takes the bicycle industry decades longer to figure
something out. Such as decent heavy-duty rack space on FS MTB and
central-battery powered lighting where, no surprise, I had to build
it all myself. Beats me why one still cannot buy this:

http://www.analogconsultants.com/ng/bike/Muddy5.JPG

It's lasted many thousand hard miles now which included heavy
loads. Yeah, that bike is heavy but it never breaks down anymore.

Given a choice I’d love a belt drive bike for the commute as I
clock up fairly respectable distances per day which does chew
though the drive chain.

I'd be careful ...

https://www.thelocal.se/20180524/ike...-lead-to-falls

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Weight of an MTB doesn't matter? What a crock full of El Toro Poo
Poo! Maybe weight doesn't matter in your world but it sure does to a
LOT of other MTB users. I keep telling you Joerg; your best bet to
get the durability that you say YOU need is to buy a small gasoline
powered dirt motorcycle and convert it to pedal power. After all,
weight doesn't matter to you.

Within reason, of course. There are people who rather ride a bicycle
that weighs 10lbs more than customary but in contrast to others they
generally arrive at their destinations on time, due to a lack of
breakdowns. I happen to be one of those.

The only times during the last years (!) that I didn't arrive on time
were when I assisted others during repairs. Because they didn't have
thorn-resistant tubes et cetera.

But Joerg, I ride a conventional steel frame bicycle and I haven't had
a breakdown, or even something that came loose so I couldn't ride, in
20 years or more. In fact, in thinking back I can't even remember a
time that my bike broke and I couldn't ride it.

No flats in 20 years?

I didn't say anything about flat tires but I don't judge a flat tire
to be a "breakdown" or "came loose"
--
cheers,

John B.

Old April 27th 19, 12:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Fri, 26 Apr 2019 07:40:39 -0700, Joerg

On 2019-04-25 16:27, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 25 Apr 2019 12:22:41 -0700, Joerg

On 2019-04-25 11:00, Roger Merriman wrote:
Joerg wrote:
On 2019-04-12 07:27, db wrote:
[...]

The carbon-fiber bicycles are so popular is because they are light :-)

I doubt that marketing a bike because it is heavier than all the rest
would be a real smart marketing move :-)

No, it has to be marketed as sturdier than the others. That gets
customers. Why do you think heavy SUVs sell so well in some areas?

The reason that USV's were invented was to circumvent U.S.
regulations about fuel economy (if I remember correctly). By building
a vehicle on a truck chassis and classifying it as a truck the fuel
consumption limits for automobiles didn't apply.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old April 27th 19, 12:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Merriman[_4_]

On 2019-04-12 07:27, db wrote:
My son is set on getting a belt drive for the bike he
is building. What is good about them? You have to have
the exact length for your bike, and if it breaks, it
is very expensive to replace.

So, why?

Dad gave him too much money :-)

Now, a shaft drive, that would be great.

Imagine it would be much heavier and complicated, they have been tried and
used on MTB but don’t seem to have been cracked, I think generally the
extra weight/cost though a E-MTB would mitigate that?

Motorcycle manufacturers have figured it out, most of all BMW. That
company should also build MTB, they know how it's done. Weight doesn't
always matter, especially not for many MTB riders. We just want less
wear and most importanly not have to clean and lube the chain every 50
miles.

Any chain will need care if it’s being used in filthy conditions, though I
have found Squirt dry wax to be remarkably good.

https://www.amazon.com/Squirt-Long-L.../dp/B00ANNR15G

Bookmarked, another one to try some day although if ok I'd want to find
a lower priced source. So far I am happy with White Lightning Epic Ride.
The main work is the cleaning.

It often takes the bicycle industry decades longer to figure something
out. Such as decent heavy-duty rack space on FS MTB and central-battery
powered lighting where, no surprise, I had to build it all myself. Beats
me why one still cannot buy this:

http://www.analogconsultants.com/ng/bike/Muddy5.JPG

Probably because if your using the bike differently to others, my commute
bike though a hardtail is closer to that set up with panniers and a barbag
as I found the weight on the rear effected the handling though with the
weight spread even fully Laden the bike can be some fun in the woods if one
wants.

But for the Nice MTB I don’t need to take so much gear and as a leisure
rather than transport it’s a much nicer ride unladen.

Even during fun rides I carry a full tool kit, a big lock, some spare
parts and most of all water. The water alone can be north of a gallon in
summer because many MTB trails have no opportunity to refill (safely).

How often or likely is a full tool kit needed? Personally I do take some
Allen keys but can’t remember the last time they where needed.

For a fun ride lock generally isn’t needed, and even riding 20 miles 7k up
at above 30’C two water bottles was fine, 8 bottles is just over kill to
put it mildly.

It's lasted many thousand hard miles now which included heavy loads.
Yeah, that bike is heavy but it never breaks down anymore.

To be honest I haven’t found anything breaks with high mileage even on
rough surfaces, bar bolts the old hardtail was about 10 years old when I
pressed it into commuting service, and fitted panniers and what not, but
found that various bolts/attachments over the bike took it in turn to fail
over a few months.

I like to be able to take rocky trails and a HT would just not work for
me there, partially on account of some lower back issues. IMO any
bicycle should be able to carry a load in order to provide a practical
mode of transportation. For example, one client and a software engineer
are located along a rough singletrack. A trail where a HT bike isn't fun.

By the time you have that much weight, which is probably well over what the
suspension is rated for plus the thick tyres, inner tubes the ride is
likely to be fairly poor. I’ve swapped out some Marathon plus Touring for
some big apples and much better ride, particularly when heavily laden.

Given a choice I’d love a belt drive bike for the commute as I clock up
fairly respectable distances per day which does chew though the drive
chain.

I'd be careful ...

https://www.thelocal.se/20180524/ike...-lead-to-falls

Wasn’t that a fairly cheap and well faulty? Not really a fair test.

Normally Ikea tests the heck out of stuff. It's cheap alright but the
quality of their gear is often quite ok.

Roger Merriman

Old April 27th 19, 01:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Fri, 26 Apr 2019 23:24:17 -0000 (UTC), Roger Merriman

On 2019-04-25 11:00, Roger Merriman wrote:
Joerg wrote:
On 2019-04-12 07:27, db wrote:
[...]

I used to carry a lot of stuff, chain tool, spare links, etc. Then I
realized that I have never broken a chain so I discarded the chain
tool and the spare links, etc., and now I carry a spare tube, a CO2
cartridge and inflator, the 5 Allen wrenches that fit everything on
the bike and two tire tools.

Other than the tire tools and CO2 I can't remember when I needed
anything else :-)

For a fun ride lock generally isn’t needed, and even riding 20 miles 7k up
at above 30’C two water bottles was fine, 8 bottles is just over kill to
put it mildly.

I used to do a Sunday 50 km ride in 30 degree+ (C) weather and carried
two of the large size bicycle water bottles and never felt the need
for more.

Old April 27th 19, 10:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 26/04/2019 17.26, Chalo wrote:
Since nobody else has pointed it out yet: Toothed belts must have
tension on them to work correctly, without skipping or gnawing their
teeth away. Such tension is unhealthy for bottom bracket and hub
bearings, and downright destructive to freewheels and freehubs.

I've repaired cheap belt drive bikes whose plastic pulleys had become
so worn down in a relatively short time that the belt climbed over
the teeth when pedaling hard.

I don't think belt drive makes sense for a bicycle, unless it's a
fixed gear. A rear hub would have to be designed and built with
static belt tension in mind for it to work well.

I always wondered about that, but ime the tension on the belt is not so
different from the 90KG of me on it mushing it up a hill!

I wouldn't go for the plastic pulley option mind. Too much grinding
paste around my way :-(
Old April 27th 19, 03:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2019-04-25 16:23, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 25 Apr 2019 18:00:49 -0000 (UTC), Roger Merriman
wrote:

[...]

Given a choice I’d love a belt drive bike for the commute
as I clock up
fairly respectable distances per day which does chew
though the drive
chain.

See:
https://momentummag.com/commuter-bik...-carbon-drive/

https://www.veercycle.com/
or perhaps even better see
https://www.cyclingabout.com/belt-dr...manufacturers/

I wouldn't want a belt drive. If that belt snaps it
generally does so without warning and then it can be a nasty
crash.

That's true but how different to the rider from a broken chain,
driveshaft, crank or pedal?

Chains usually do not snap without some serious lack of maintenance or
running them way past prime. Never heard of a driveshaft break except
once on a heavy vehicle (bus). Belts usually snap out of the blue.

As for cranks a friend of mine had an expensive Campagnolo crank break
and it was clearly a manufacturing defect but they refused to even do a
warranty exchange. He landed towards the middle of the road but luckily
no cars came along.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old April 27th 19, 03:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2019-04-25 16:27, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 25 Apr 2019 12:22:41 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

[...]

It's lasted many thousand hard miles now which included heavy loads.
Yeah, that bike is heavy but it never breaks down anymore.

The carbon-fiber bicycles are so popular is because they are light :-)

I doubt that marketing a bike because it is heavier than all the rest
would be a real smart marketing move :-)

No, it has to be marketed as sturdier than the others. That gets
customers. Why do you think heavy SUVs sell so well in some areas?

The reason that USV's were invented was to circumvent U.S.
regulations about fuel economy (if I remember correctly). By building
a vehicle on a truck chassis and classifying it as a truck the fuel
consumption limits for automobiles didn't apply.

That sounds like fake news. My SUV is classified as a passenger vehicle,
else it would require a different kind of license plate like the pickup
truck of a neighbor does. He also has to pay more tax on it.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

What is the case with belt drive? Andre Jute[_2_] Techniques 62 October 27th 09 08:42 AM
Belt Drive Arrives Leo Lichtman[_2_] Techniques 1 November 22nd 08 12:40 AM
Belt drive parts hhu Techniques 0 January 30th 05 10:26 PM
SS Belt Drive? supabonbon Mountain Biking 23 November 18th 04 10:53 PM
SS Belt Drive? supabonbon Techniques 39 November 18th 04 10:53 PM