Lacing 24" 32 or 36 hole Rim to 48 hole Hub

Old April 5th 05, 02:13 PM
pdc

Default Lacing 24" 32 or 36 hole Rim to 48 hole Hub

Does anyone have some clear pics or any other help for lacing a 32 0r 36
hole 24" rim to a 48 hole Hub?

--
pdc - That's my boy!
pdc's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8160

Old April 5th 05, 04:37 PM
Tellurider

I was thinking about doing the same thing and I found a picture of a 48
hub to a 32 hole rim by skiping every third hole between the first spoke
cross and it looked good and used spokes all the same length but I was
unable to find it again. I have decided to get Qa-ax 48 hole trials rim
instead so I think I won't be doing this.

--
Tellurider - Dan Wilson

There's a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".
Tellurider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4972

Old April 5th 05, 04:46 PM
loosejello

Where are you buying your Qu-Ax rim?

--
loosejello
loosejello's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8295

Old April 5th 05, 04:54 PM
Tellurider

Right now you can get them from unicycle.com UK but I think I have
talked John Drumand into to ordering some and keep them in stock at udc
US. I think they would sell to people wanting to convert Torker 20" uni
into trials unis, and since they have Qu-ax they should have spare
parts.

Old April 5th 05, 04:57 PM
loosejello

Do they have them in 24" too?

Old April 5th 05, 05:10 PM
pdc

I found this
http://www.sun-ringle.com/ShowRoom/BMX/Rims/bfr.html

But with shipping is quite expensive.

Old April 5th 05, 06:02 PM
U-Turn

pdc wrote:
*I found this
http://www.sun-ringle.com/ShowRoom/BMX/Rims/bfr.html

But with shipping is quite expensive. *

I did a 48-spoke QU-AX / Halo Contra 24" wheel. It seems sturdy but a
bit heavy, although I don't have numbers to back that up. If you do
this, use 14/15 spokes to help keep the weight down. The rim has double
eyelets. This should be a great wheel for downhills with lots of drops,
but probably a little heavy for straight natural trials and 50-50 mixes
of slopes.

| Attachment filename: qu-ax_001_(small).jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/295575|

U-Turn - As long as my feet keep movin'...

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'
-- Dave Stockton

Old April 5th 05, 06:09 PM
pdc

U-Turn wrote:
*I did a 48-spoke QU-AX / Halo Contra 24" wheel. It seems sturdy but
a bit heavy, although I don't have numbers to back that up. If you do
this, use 14/15 spokes to help keep the weight down. The rim has
double eyelets. This should be a great wheel for downhills with lots
of drops, but probably a little heavy for straight natural trials and
50-50 mixes of slopes. *

Do you have any other pics? A closeup of the hub? Are all the spokes the
same length?
I've never built a wheel before but i wanna give it the ole college try.
(wait I didn't go to college)

Old April 5th 05, 09:08 PM
U-Turn

Since the hub and rim are both 48-hole, the spokes are all the same
length.

A 48-spoke wheel isn't necessarily the best configuration to start out
with because there isn't as much room to work between spokes and there
is a lot more manipulation to true the wheel.

However, my first wheel was a 48 spoke, so go for it!

I don't have any close-up pics at this time.