Shimano best to worst list

Old September 8th 05, 07:56 PM

Default Shimano best to worst list

Do I have this list right in order from best to worst?
Road:
Dura Ace 7800
Dura Ace 7800 Triple
Dura Ace Track
Ultegra 6600 or 600
105 Silver
105 Black
Flat Bar
Tiagra
Sora
RX-100
RSX
C-Series
2203

Mountain:
Deore XTR
Deore XT
Deore LX /DX
100GS
STX /500GS
Saint135
Saint150
Hone
Deore
Alivio /400GS /Exage
Acera /300GS
Altus / 200GS
Tourney
Nexus

Old September 8th 05, 08:48 PM
bryanska

I sure like that someone wrote this all down. It's damn hard to figure
out.

Old September 8th 05, 08:52 PM
Brian Huntley

bryanska wrote:
I sure like that someone wrote this all down. It's damn hard to figure
out.

Oh, I agree with that part. Especially the MTB "A"s - where my bikes
tend to live. I've always been unclear on the
Alivio/Acera/Altus/Acura/Amiga heirarchy.

Old September 8th 05, 09:03 PM
buckyllama

"Best and worst" are subjective to being with. The "Best" for an
application may fall in the middle of the range if a user values
durability and future parts-compatability over light weight for
example.

Having said that the lines fall as follows (things on the same line are
positioned equally in shimano's lineup) (I think this is right, doing
it from memory)

Road/Track:
all Dura Ace
all Ultegra, 600
all 105
Tiagra, RX-100, I think the "Flat bar" stuff is compareable at this
level
Sora, RSX, 2200

MTB:
XTR
XT, Saint
LX, Hone (Saint and hone are more freeride, Lx/XT are more xc)
Deore, STX-RC
STX (note that stx-rc and stx used to occupy the positions in the
lineup now occupied singularly by Deore)
Alivio, Exage
Acera
Altus
Tourney, 100GS

Nexus is a whole different category for internal-hub components. If
you were to compare them to the other lines in terms of quality they'd
fall anywhere from the altus/sora range through the lx/105 range.

The C-series is designed for hybrid/comfort bikes.

DX is shimano's BMX designation.

I'd also note that there seems to be less variability in the road
lineup than mountain. Tourney is crap. Sora is actually quite good.

Old September 8th 05, 09:46 PM
Paul Hobson

buckyllama wrote:
[snip]

The C-series is designed for hybrid/comfort bikes.

DX is shimano's BMX designation.

I'd also note that there seems to be less variability in the road
lineup than mountain. Tourney is crap. Sora is actually quite good.

My "entry-level" road bike has Sora components on it. I still think
it's great! It shifts quickly, accurately and precisely. While it's
true that I can't reach the thumb lever from the drops, I still like it.
I really can't imagine how the cost difference between any other group
would be worth it to a casual rider.

--
Paul M. Hobson
Georgia Institute of Technology
Old September 8th 05, 10:01 PM

Default New List Shimano best to worst list

So, based on your feedback, here is the new list.
Anyone disagree?
Where should 100GS go?

Road:
Dura Ace 7800
Dura Ace 7800 Triple
Dura Ace Track
Ultegra 6600 or 600
105 Silver
105 Black
Flat Bar, Tiagra, RX-100
Sora, RSX, 2203

Mountain:
Deore XTR
Deore XT, Saint
Deore LX /DX, Hone
100GS??
STX /500GS
Saint135
Saint150
Hone
Deore, STX-RC
Alivio, 400GS, Exage
Acera, 300GS
Altus, 200GS
Tourney, 100GS??

Old September 8th 05, 10:11 PM
bfd

Why would DA triple or track be "lower" than DA 7800? Would they all
pretty much be the same, except for the different use, e.g., DA 7800 is
for road, DA 7800 is for road with lots of hills/mts, DA track is for
uh, track use.

Similarly, why is 105 silver "higher" than 105 black?

Old September 9th 05, 06:46 AM
Bill Henry

Paul Hobson wrote:
buckyllama wrote:
[snip]

The C-series is designed for hybrid/comfort bikes.

DX is shimano's BMX designation.

I'd also note that there seems to be less variability in the road
lineup than mountain. Tourney is crap. Sora is actually quite good.

My "entry-level" road bike has Sora components on it. I still think
it's great! It shifts quickly, accurately and precisely. While it's
true that I can't reach the thumb lever from the drops, I still like it.
I really can't imagine how the cost difference between any other group
would be worth it to a casual rider.

Yeah, I'm in the market for an entry-level road bike and I'll probably
end up with Sora, too. Wouldn't mind 105, but don't have the $ to plunk
down for it.