What is a cyclist?

Old October 24th 10, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Derek C

Default What is a cyclist?

On Oct 24, 11:15*am, Peter Parry wrote:
On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 00:24:30 -0700 (PDT), Doug
wrote:

I have an alternative compromise definition for this newsgroup in
particular.

Hopelessly inadequate - seehttp://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/oct/24/bike-snobs-guide-c...

We seem to have a lot of (self) Righteous cyclists in this news group.

Derek C
Old October 24th 10, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr. Benn[_7_]

"Doug" wrote in message
Motorists on this newsgroup will maintain that however infrequently
they step out of their car and onto a bicycle and peddle just a bit,
that entitles them to denigrate cyclists to the full here.

OTOH purists here will maintain that the only 'real' cyclist is one
who never ever uses a car and regularly cycles quite long distances
instead.

I have an alternative compromise definition for this newsgroup in
particular.

'A real cyclist is one who sometimes cycles but always criticises
motorists much more than they criticise cyclists on this newsgroup.'

Would that be more acceptable do you think?

No. Utterly stupid.

Old October 24th 10, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_8_]

On Oct 24, 8:24*am, Doug wrote:
Motorists on this newsgroup will maintain that however infrequently
they step out of their car and onto a bicycle and peddle just a bit,
that entitles them to denigrate cyclists to the full here.

OTOH purists here will maintain that the only 'real' cyclist is one
who never ever uses a car and regularly cycles quite long distances
instead.

I have an alternative compromise definition for this newsgroup in
particular.

'A real cyclist is one who sometimes cycles but always criticises
motorists much more than they criticise cyclists on this newsgroup.'

Would that be more acceptable do you think?

Doug.

Bugger it, I've been caught out.
I'll try something else when everybody has forgot about this.
Old October 24th 10, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

On 24/10/2010 08:24, Doug wrote:
Motorists on this newsgroup will maintain that however infrequently
they step out of their car and onto a bicycle and peddle just a bit,
that entitles them to denigrate cyclists to the full here.

OTOH purists here will maintain that the only 'real' cyclist is one
who never ever uses a car and regularly cycles quite long distances
instead.

I have an alternative compromise definition for this newsgroup in
particular.

'A real cyclist is one who sometimes cycles but always criticises
motorists much more than they criticise cyclists on this newsgroup.'

Would that be more acceptable do you think?

Of course not.

An unbiased cyclist with eyes and brains in his head and would always find
plenty to criticise in the behaviour of many other cyclists.
Old October 24th 10, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
BrianW[_2_]

On Oct 24, 8:24*am, Doug wrote:
Motorists on this newsgroup will maintain that however infrequently
they step out of their car and onto a bicycle and peddle just a bit,
that entitles them to denigrate cyclists to the full here.

OTOH purists here will maintain that the only 'real' cyclist is one
who never ever uses a car and regularly cycles quite long distances
instead.

I have an alternative compromise definition for this newsgroup in
particular.

'A real cyclist is one who sometimes cycles but always criticises
motorists much more than they criticise cyclists on this newsgroup.'

Would that be more acceptable do you think?

It's getting better, but may I suggest this alternative definition,
taken from the dictionary on my shelf: "cyclist - a person who rides a
bicycle".

Controversial, I know, but I think it works.
Old October 24th 10, 07:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JMS

On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 11:15:56 +0100, Peter Parry
wrote:

snip

Hopelessly inadequate - see
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...cycling-tribes

Excellent.

I think the author must have lurked here for a time - I an certainly
recognise some of them.

--

Per billion passenger kilometres

Car KSI 18
Cycle KSI 541
Pedestrian 358

(KSI : Killed or Seriously Injured)
Dft 2008 FIgures

Who says cycling is safer than walking?
Old October 25th 10, 07:15 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

On 24 Oct, 16:33, JNugent wrote:
On 24/10/2010 08:24, Doug wrote:

Motorists on this newsgroup will maintain that however infrequently
they step out of their car and onto a bicycle and peddle just a bit,
that entitles them to denigrate cyclists to the full here.

OTOH purists here will maintain that the only 'real' cyclist is one
who never ever uses a car and regularly cycles quite long distances
instead.

I have an alternative compromise definition for this newsgroup in
particular.

'A real cyclist is one who sometimes cycles but always criticises
motorists much more than they criticise cyclists on this newsgroup.'

Would that be more acceptable do you think?

Of course not.

An unbiased cyclist with eyes and brains in his head and would always find
plenty to criticise in the behaviour of many other cyclists.

Yes but they would find much more to criticise in the behaviour of
motorists.

Doug.
Old October 25th 10, 07:18 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

On 24 Oct, 19:13, BrianW wrote:
On Oct 24, 8:24*am, Doug wrote:

Motorists on this newsgroup will maintain that however infrequently
they step out of their car and onto a bicycle and peddle just a bit,
that entitles them to denigrate cyclists to the full here.

OTOH purists here will maintain that the only 'real' cyclist is one
who never ever uses a car and regularly cycles quite long distances
instead.

I have an alternative compromise definition for this newsgroup in
particular.

'A real cyclist is one who sometimes cycles but always criticises
motorists much more than they criticise cyclists on this newsgroup.'

Would that be more acceptable do you think?

It's getting better, but may I suggest this alternative definition,
taken from the dictionary on my shelf: "cyclist - a person who rides a
bicycle".

Controversial, I know, but I think it works.

So you agree, the motorists who infest this NG have only to ride a
bicycle just once to then claimed to be a 'pure' cyclist which
empowers them to criticise cyclists to the full on this NG from the
POV of a motorist?

-- .
UK Radical Campaigns.
http://www.zing.icom43.net
All public road users are equal but some are more equal than others.
Old October 25th 10, 07:20 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

On 24 Oct, 13:09, Doug wrote:
On Oct 24, 8:24*am, Doug wrote:

Motorists on this newsgroup will maintain that however infrequently
they step out of their car and onto a bicycle and peddle just a bit,
that entitles them to denigrate cyclists to the full here.

OTOH purists here will maintain that the only 'real' cyclist is one
who never ever uses a car and regularly cycles quite long distances
instead.

I have an alternative compromise definition for this newsgroup in
particular.

'A real cyclist is one who sometimes cycles but always criticises
motorists much more than they criticise cyclists on this newsgroup.'

Would that be more acceptable do you think?

Doug.

Bugger it, I've been caught out.
I'll try something else when everybody has forgot about this.

What a pity you have failed. Maybe you should try to emulate me more
often.

Doug.
Old October 25th 10, 07:31 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

On 25/10/2010 07:18, Doug wrote:
On 24 Oct, 19:13, wrote:
On Oct 24, 8:24 am, wrote:

[...]

No Doug, those who ride a bike can claim they are cyclists, that all.

--
Tony Dragon