Winter Shoes (w/ Speedplay cleats)?

Old September 3rd 03, 12:03 AM
John Finney

Default Winter Shoes (w/ Speedplay cleats)?

About a year (and one winter) has passed since I have seen any reviews
of winter cycling shoes. I am prepared to purchase the new model from
either Lake or Gaerne, but would like to hear pros/cons and other
recommendations from similarly cold-footed riders.

In particular, can anyone confirm that Lake or Gaerne winter shoes
can/cannot work with Speedplay (X/2) cleats?

For the record, the following have proven insufficient: plastic bread
bags, shoe covers, duct tape, neoprene socks, Gore-Tex socks, and
battery powered heated insoles (although those aren't bad). I have
Reynaud's syndrome, and if you have it too you know about cold toes...
Old September 3rd 03, 01:17 AM
Bruce

Most road shoes handle at least the 3-bolt "Look" pattern, and Speedplay
cleats come with an adapter plate for that pattern.

A more important issue for you would be if the shoe is warm enough. See if
you can find one to try, or at least return it if it doesn't match your
expectations. Look for one the fits but also has some room for a slightly
thicker sock then a summer sock.

-Bruce

m...

Old September 3rd 03, 03:27 AM
Dave Thompson

"John Finney" wrote in message
m...
About a year (and one winter) has passed since I have seen any reviews
of winter cycling shoes. I am prepared to purchase the new model from
either Lake or Gaerne, but would like to hear pros/cons and other
recommendations from similarly cold-footed riders.

In particular, can anyone confirm that Lake or Gaerne winter shoes
can/cannot work with Speedplay (X/2) cleats?

For the record, the following have proven insufficient: plastic bread
bags, shoe covers, duct tape, neoprene socks, Gore-Tex socks, and
battery powered heated insoles (although those aren't bad). I have
Reynaud's syndrome, and if you have it too you know about cold toes...

Visit Speedplay's web-site and research your shoe choice to see if they are
compatible. E-mail to them will also answer your questions. They are very
responsive to customers.
http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm?f...de.searchstart

Old September 3rd 03, 03:41 AM
Robin Hubert

"John Finney" wrote in message
m...
About a year (and one winter) has passed since I have seen any reviews
of winter cycling shoes. I am prepared to purchase the new model from
either Lake or Gaerne, but would like to hear pros/cons and other
recommendations from similarly cold-footed riders.

In particular, can anyone confirm that Lake or Gaerne winter shoes
can/cannot work with Speedplay (X/2) cleats?

For the record, the following have proven insufficient: plastic bread
bags, shoe covers, duct tape, neoprene socks, Gore-Tex socks, and
battery powered heated insoles (although those aren't bad). I have
Reynaud's syndrome, and if you have it too you know about cold toes...

On average my peripherals stay pretty warm. My approach to winter shoes
though has been to use a slightly larger (mostly wider) shoe. With a
medium-heavy set of wool socks I'm good to 20-something. Below that I
resort to booties.

It's nice to have some layering effect versus the big coat effect.

--
Robin Hubert

Old September 3rd 03, 06:35 AM
Bill Davidson

John Finney wrote:
In particular, can anyone confirm that Lake or Gaerne winter shoes
can/cannot work with Speedplay (X/2) cleats?

Did you check Speedplay's shoe compatibility guide?

http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm?f...de.searchstart

--Bill Davidson
--
Please remove ".nospam" from my address for email replies.

I'm a 17 year veteran of usenet -- you'd think I'd be over it by now

Old September 3rd 03, 11:39 AM
tony the tiger

I have mild Reynauds, so I understand your cold feet!

First, I decided to use SPD pedals in the winter on my road bike.
Since the road surfaces are more slick in winter, I wanted to be able
to walk in my cycling shoes without the usual impediments that the
exposed Look cleats that I usually use cause.

I bought the Lake winter MTB shoes. Expensive, but worth every penny.
I got them 2 sizes too big (I have wide feet). I replaced the stock
insoles with some Spenco crosstrainers. With a pair of cycling socks
and a pair of medium weight wool hiking socks they fit great.

When it is real cold out I put one of those chemical foot warmer
packets over my toes between the socks. With this set up, I can ride
into the teens without cold feet.

For my hands, I use Pearl Izumi lobster mitts, and if it is frigid out
I'll use the chemical hand warmers in there as well.

Hope this helps.

TG
Old September 3rd 03, 12:50 PM
Peter Cole

"Bruce" wrote in message
Most road shoes handle at least the 3-bolt "Look" pattern, and Speedplay
cleats come with an adapter plate for that pattern.

A more important issue for you would be if the shoe is warm enough. See if
you can find one to try, or at least return it if it doesn't match your
expectations. Look for one the fits but also has some room for a slightly
thicker sock then a summer sock.

I say get them 2 sizes too big & wear lots of socks.

Old September 3rd 03, 01:57 PM
John Finney

Thanks to all for pointing me to Speedplay's site. It appears I will
have no compatibility problems with either the Lake or Gaerne shoes.

Now for warmth -- does anyone have experience with either shoe?

Old September 3rd 03, 02:02 PM
John Finney

I forgot to mention that I have also tried large shoes with Smartwool
mountaineering socks. That solution is OK for about an hour, but I'm
looking for something warmer.

Another solution that works OK is apply capcaisin arthritis cream to
toes before riding -- the increased blood flow from the chemically
opened capillaries adds warmth. The problem is "fire feet" after the
ride -- it is very difficult to clean off the cream well enough to
stop the heat.