Bicycle maker Huffy seeks shield

Old October 21st 04, 03:23 PM
Garrison Hilliard

Default Bicycle maker Huffy seeks shield

Thursday, October 21, 2004
Bicycle maker Huffy seeks shield

Longtime Ohio company restructuring

By James Hannah
The Associated Press

This vintage 1960s Huffy bicycle was still going strong in Dayton this year. Huffy bicycles are now made overseas.
Associated Press file

DAYTON - Bicycle maker Huffy Corp. filed Wednesday for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, citing losses largely from a Canadian sports equipment company that it has partially sold.

Huffy lost $7.5 million in 2003 after losing $1.4 million in 2002.

The company's stock plummeted from $6.80 a share in December 2003 to 58 cents in August.

The New York Stock Exchange then suspended trading because the company's market value had fallen too low.

"We are focused on restructuring our operations around our bicycle and golf product lines, and I am confident that Huffy will emerge as a stronger and more competitive organization, well-positioned to succeed," said John Muskovich, president and chief operating officer.

Huffy recently sold its basketball-backboard unit, its customer service division and part of its Canada-based Gen-X business, which makes equipment for golf, snowboarding, inline skating, skiing and hockey. Huffy also sold the Gen-X name.

Huffy said other reasons for the filing include the increasing costs of complying with federal financial reporting regulations and mounting costs associated with former operations, such as the cleanup of a polluted site in California.

The company has said its bicycle division has been performing solidly and has increased its share of the U.S. bike market the past two years. It holds about 30 percent of the market.

The filing in U.S. Bankruptcy Court is meant to protect the company from creditors while it reorganizes. Huffy said daily operations would continue at its U.S. and Canadian subsidiaries.

The company expects to pay its employees in the usual manner and has sought permission from the bankruptcy court to pay vendors, suppliers and other business partners during the reorganization.

Huffy said it has obtained $50 million in financing for operating, supplier and employee expenses.

The company said suppliers have agreed to ship products for the holiday season and it is confident it can meet its commitments to customers through 2005.

Huffy employs about 140 workers and has offices or warehouses in Miamisburg and nearby Springboro as well as Toronto and Carson, Calif. Hundreds of jobs were cut when Huffy sold its customer service division in March.

Huffy imports its bicycles, wagons and three-wheeled vehicles for children from southeast Asia, including China and Taiwan, and sells them through high-volume retailers that account for about 85 percent of all wheeled products sold in the United States.

Huffy began in 1892 when George Huffman, owner of the Davis Sewing Machine Co., oversaw production of the company's first bicycle. Horace Huffman sold the company in 1925 and formed the Huffman Manufacturing Co., which eventually became Huffy Corp.

In the 1960s, Huffy began to diversify and entered the emerging discount-store market.

By the late 1990s, foreign competition began to take its toll and Huffy had closed its last U.S. bicycle plants.

http://www.enquirer.com/editions/200...z_huffy21.html
Old October 21st 04, 09:06 PM
gds

Thursday, October 21, 2004
Bicycle maker Huffy seeks shield

About time! Back when I lived in CT our LBS sponsored a yearly holiday
party. A highlight of the event was a contest called the "Huffy Toss"
Yep, it was like the hammer throw with a Huffy. The only thing we
thought them good for.
Old October 22nd 04, 12:45 AM
Mike Kruger

"Garrison Hilliard" wrote in message
The Associated Press

The company has said its bicycle division has been performing solidly and

has increased its share of the U.S. bike market the past two years. It holds
about 30 percent of the market.

30%? Even assuming it's unit sales (not dollar sales) they must have a bunch
of other names out there besides "Huffy".

Old October 22nd 04, 08:11 AM
Cheto

"Mike Kruger" wrote in message

30%? Even assuming it's unit sales (not dollar sales) they must have a

bunch
of other names out there besides "Huffy".

It's possible. I see an awful lot of them out on the road and I bet there's
a whole lot more rusting away in people's back yards and collecting dust in
garages.

How many people buy them, ride them a few times, decide they hate bicycling
and never ride them again?

Cheto

Old October 22nd 04, 02:25 PM
Beverly

"Cheto" wrote in message

"Mike Kruger" wrote in message

30%? Even assuming it's unit sales (not dollar sales) they must have a

bunch
of other names out there besides "Huffy".

It's possible. I see an awful lot of them out on the road and I bet

there's
a whole lot more rusting away in people's back yards and collecting dust

in
garages.

How many people buy them, ride them a few times, decide they hate

bicycling
and never ride them again?

Cheto

I see a lot of kids riding them around here. This might be because it's a
local business, too.
I know my kids rode them when they were youngsters (many years ago)

Beverly

New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM
Bicycle Roadside Assistance Clubs? Ablang General 2 November 12th 03 10:52 AM
A Bicycle Story Marian Rosenberg General 5 September 7th 03 01:40 PM
Disappointing (was Recommended high-volume floor-type bicycle pumps?) Jon Noring General 10 August 11th 03 01:08 AM