Irony

Old October 8th 03, 11:06 PM
sabin_a.

Default Irony

Two days ago, I was happily practicing seat-out hopping, up onto the
retaining wall in my backyard. I have been adding wooden planks to it to
make it taller. I added another plank to make it 23 inches tall. On my
first try I made it!
I wanted to do it another time to make sure it wasn't a fluke...I
jumped...My tire caught the edge...I slipped and fell backwards ramming
my right index finger into the ground....
The next day I got it X-rayed. Turnes out I refractured it the
same place I did about a year and a half ago.
It's supposed to take about 2 weeks to recover.

While I am still here, could anybody give me some tips on jumping
seat out. My goal (once my finger gets better) is to be able hop 2 ft
(on to something) every time. Mabye kris Holm or Ryan Atkins or anybody
else who could hop could give me some tips. It would be a big help

-Sabin

-I always pre-hop-

--
sabin_a.
sabin_a.'s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4457

Old October 9th 03, 01:55 AM
sabin_a.

Does anyone feel my pain?....Because I sure do.

By the way, it took me 20 minutes to write this...Just
kidding.

-Sabin

Old October 9th 03, 02:05 AM
Checkernuts

For me a 2 foot hop isnt any different than a 20" one really. You should
just keep praticing and your form will get better. And you will get more
consistant. I dont think there is any key move that makes it easy to
jump 2 feet high. It just takes pratice.

Chex

--
Checkernuts - Me Fail English? That's Unpossible

No one said it was gonna be easy and I'm not afraid to try, with the
odds stacked up against me I will have to fight, One Life One Wheel got
to do it right. H20
Checkernuts's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/801

Old October 9th 03, 06:41 AM
zach_jucha

chex said it, practice! but i have a question for you. when you do seat
out, do you have to bend over more to get a grip on the seat? i can't
stand up on the pedals and grab the seat comfortably seat-out style, i
have to lean over. should i raise it?

--
zach_jucha - As seen on TV

zachary is in the process of starting his own art movement

http://www.googlism.com/index.htm?ism=zachary&type=1
zach_jucha's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4072

Old October 9th 03, 07:23 AM
john_childs

sabin_a. wrote:
*
Does anyone feel my pain?....Because I sure do.
*

Yes, I feel your pain only because I saw you yesterday with that big
honking splint on your finger. However, if you had your crash on video
and then posted it in the gallery we could *all* share in your pain over
and over and over and over and over again.

Just be happy you're not posting your story in this thread '\"Broken
Bones\"' (http://tinyurl.com/mh1q)

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

Old October 9th 03, 10:37 PM
sabin_a.

To: zach,

I hop to the left, left pedal in back using my
right hand to hold the seat. Alot of people hold the part of the seat
where it goes in the most. However, I don't do that. I hold the seat on
the back right edge so it is easier to hold the seat away from your body
when you are in the air. Suck up you're knees and try to lean a little
bit forward in the air, while bringing the wheel under you. I do this
because, when you bring the wheel up when you hop there is all that
empty space between the wheel and you're butt. So crouch low at the
height of the jump.

By the way, can you jump 2 ft?

-Sabin

Old October 9th 03, 11:09 PM
Klaas Bil

On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 19:55:45 -0500, sabin_a.
wrote:

By the way, it took me 20 minutes to write this...Just
kidding.

While you can't ride (or can you?), you should figure out a story that
you can type with only the left hand. Possibly about stewardesses, which
allegedly is the longest word in English typed with only the left hand
(in the usual 10-finger system that is).

Klaas Bil

--
Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
Klaas Bil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3442

Old October 9th 03, 11:33 PM
zach_jucha

whoah, klaas, i think that was like the epitome of useless trivia.

sabin, my highest documented hop is 20 inches with the seat under. the
video clip is in my gallery under "hopping practice".

i asked that question because watching ryan atkins' clips, he stands
upright and holds the seat in the back, whereas i have to lean over
considerably to get a grip. i used to have my seat way too low, but
practice is really what has made me jump higher. also, i'm 6'2", so if
anyone can tell me how high my unicycle should be, that might help. i
just can't jump well with the seat out beause i have to lean over to
grab the seat well. though, for seat under hops i can grab the handle in
front fine.

Old October 10th 03, 12:46 AM
sabin_a.

Sorry zach,I didn't quite know what you were saying.

My back is straight when I hop seat out. I have my seat adjusted
so it is a little bit below the waist when I am standing straight
seat-out. Of course I'm only 5'5" and 14...Sad, isn't it?

-Sabin

Old October 10th 03, 01:49 AM
zach_jucha

okay, i'm going to mess around with the seat height. but meanwhile, 14??
sorry i didn't notice that before, but that's crazy because you sound
really good from what i've heard. way better then me what with 360's and
two foot hops. then again, i'm sure even this little girl could
schoolmaster me at unicycling:

[image: http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/al...aae.sized.jpg]