Trade Rat Bike Thief

Old June 23rd 05, 07:21 AM
Steve McDonald

Default Trade Rat Bike Thief

My neighbor and his kids always leave their bikes unlocked in their
front yard. I've heard of a thief trading up for a bike that was
better, but what happened here was unusual. The neighbor's bike was
taken, but another was left in its place. The bike left behind is at
least 3 times more valuable and fits the size of the neighbor much
better. He now leaves this bike unlocked in his backyard, as a gesture
towards security. He rides it every day, as it's so much faster and
comfortable than the stolen one.

I have a hunch that this bike was also stolen and was used for
temporary transportation. The thief may have felt it was time to dump a
hot bike and use one that may not be reported (this was the case). If
so, this is a clever ploy, to break the chain
of possession and have a bike that is stolen but won't likely be
reported. Not that I'm trying to give anyone ideas.

Steve McDonald

Old June 23rd 05, 01:07 PM
Scott

Steve McDonald wrote:
[...]

Of course, it isn't reported because the finder thinks
finders keepers. Meanwhile, the police are frustrated
and a thief gets away.

Give your neighbor a big ol' pat on the back for me. Sheesh.

scott

Old June 23rd 05, 01:37 PM
Maggie

Steve McDonald wrote:

I have a hunch that this bike was also stolen and was used for
temporary transportation. The thief may have felt it was time to dump a
hot bike and use one that may not be reported (this was the case). If
so, this is a clever ploy, to break the chain
of possession and have a bike that is stolen but won't likely be
reported. Not that I'm trying to give anyone ideas.

Steve McDonald

I think your hunch is right...duh. This is done with stolen cars all
the time. There comes a time to dump it and take another one. My car
was stolen 4 times. Each time it turned up on a side street in Newark.
It was taken for joy rides. They left me a bunch of CD's once and then
once they left a machetti. I think that is how they got in. I finally
brightened up and put a kill switch in. Now my son has the car. I
drive a piece of crap no one would want to joy ride in unless they were
desperate.

Maggie

Old June 23rd 05, 03:07 PM
dgk

On 23 Jun 2005 05:37:32 -0700, "Maggie"
wrote:

Steve McDonald wrote:

[...]

Someone once broke into my car and stole a crappy stereo. They left
behind the screwdriver that they used to break in. Car is long gone
but I still have that screwdriver.
Old June 23rd 05, 08:13 PM
AustinMN

My neighbor and his kids always leave their bikes unlocked in their
front yard. I've heard of a thief trading up for a bike that was
better, but what happened here was unusual. The neighbor's bike was
taken, but another was left in its place. The bike left behind is at
least 3 times more valuable and fits the size of the neighbor much
better. He now leaves this bike unlocked in his backyard, as a gesture
towards security. He rides it every day, as it's so much faster and
comfortable than the stolen one.

Another possibility is that your neighbor "traded up," and this is how
he explained it to his parents without admitting to bike theft.

Austin (feeling just a bit to jaded today, I guess)

Old June 23rd 05, 08:26 PM
Maggie

dgk wrote:

Someone once broke into my car and stole a crappy stereo. They left
behind the screwdriver that they used to break in. Car is long gone
but I still have that screwdriver.

I did not keep the machetti.....and the CD's were not in English. The
car was a total mess every time it was stolen. After I put the kill
switch in, I went out to my car and the ignition was taken apart. I
had to have that fixed but at least they didn't get my car this time.
My kill switch is so well hidden. My son uses it all the time now that
I gave him the car.

If someone steals the car that I drive around in now, I feel sorry for
them. They definately have problems. Unless someone just steals it to
change cars while trying to get away from police or something. Who
knows, I live in Jersey. Nothing surprises me. ;-)

Maggie

Old June 24th 05, 03:22 PM
The Wogster

Maggie wrote:

dgk wrote:

Someone once broke into my car and stole a crappy stereo. They left
behind the screwdriver that they used to break in. Car is long gone
but I still have that screwdriver.

I did not keep the machetti.....and the CD's were not in English. The
car was a total mess every time it was stolen. After I put the kill
switch in, I went out to my car and the ignition was taken apart. I
had to have that fixed but at least they didn't get my car this time.
My kill switch is so well hidden. My son uses it all the time now that
I gave him the car.

If someone steals the car that I drive around in now, I feel sorry for
them. They definately have problems. Unless someone just steals it to
change cars while trying to get away from police or something. Who
knows, I live in Jersey. Nothing surprises me. ;-)

I had a car like that, I swore that if a thief stole it, I would go to
court, and ask the judge, to make him keep it. The best solution to a
stolen car is to drive an old hunk of junk, that nobody would want.
Then again, I tend to buy a brand new car, and drive it until it so
expensive to repair that it's cheaper to make payments on a new one
again. That usually means buying a new car every 10-12 years or so,
it's getting close though, current one just turned 10.

Old June 25th 05, 07:31 AM
Steve McDonald

My neighbor who was left the better bike is 60 years old,
temporarily disabled from an accident and not likely a bike thief
himself. So, I don't think he was involved in any deception. He can
ride a bike fairly well, but walks very slowly and limps.

The last time I drove a car, I had a series of 3 hidden throwout
switches for the ignition. It was a "smart" system and a thief not only
had to know that there were 3 switches and find each one, but they had
to be turned on in a certain sequence. It was a pleasure for me to be
inconvenienced, each time I had to throw them all myself. Too bad I
can't use such a means to keep a bike from being ridden.
I had a blonde girlfriend who couldn't remember the sequence, so this
was a clever way to keep her from driving my car.

Actually, I do sabotage my bikes when I lock them away from home.
I lift the chain off the gear cluster, so when force is put on the
pedals, it jams between the outside of the gears and the frame. It
prevents the bike from being pedaled, unless a thief figures out the
problem and knows how to unstick it, which usually isn't easy. This
unpleasant little glitch with the chain happens to most of us
accidentally on occasion, but I put it to work in my favor. When I
return to my bike, the chain can be easily lifted back onto the gears,
if it isn't pedaled first. If leave my bike for a moment and go just a
short distance away without locking it, I usually pull this chain trick.

Steve McDonald