Front Brake LH or RH?

Old September 25th 20, 11:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Front Brake LH or RH?

On Fri, 25 Sep 2020 12:26:34 +0100, Tosspot
wrote:

On 24/09/2020 23.38, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 24 Sep 2020 11:42:38 +0100, Tosspot
wrote:

On 24/09/2020 00.36, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 9/23/2020 12:51 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Wed, 23 Sep 2020 08:55:56 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

https://cyclingindustry.news/rose-bi...r-brake-rules/

Who needs two levers anyway?
https://www.outbraker.com/double-booster/
"DBB is designed for disabled riders who need to control Front/Rear
Brakes together with one arm."

I think that's far from ideal. Except for the slowest paved road
flatland riding, it's very valuable to be able to control the two brakes
individually. I'm not sure what that company is doing with a variable
reservoir, but their adjustment probably can't be made instantaneously
while riding.

The best idea was from Oli Sparrow, who seems to have shuffled off the
interweb, his idea was a single lever controlling both independently.

A picture here;

http://www.mtb-amputee.com/images/Oli%20Sparrow02.jpg

His website detailed it a lot more. I'm sure there was a market, as
people that needed one would pay a lot, but a small market.

I looked at the picture. But does one only have a choice between the
rear brake or the front brake?

No the axes combine, like a universal joint. There is a piston for each
axis so you can balance the braking force front/rear as you wish. It
really is quite clever in concept, and simple in implementation.

While I'm sure that it works but it seems a rather complex solution to
what really isn't a problem :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old September 26th 20, 12:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

wrote:

[...]

Easy to say when you've got two hands.
Old September 26th 20, 01:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Stvzo lamps

On 9/25/2020 1:46 PM, Sepp Ruf wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 9/25/2020 7:44 AM, Sepp Ruf wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:

I agree, BTW, that StVZO does not guarantee a smooth, non-spotty beam.
And a well designed beam makes a huge difference.

Face it, Frank: The cutoff-beam of a Finland-made, $15 Herrmans Black-MR4
lamp will still be brighter and better balanced to see by (tree branches
excluded) than your legacy halogen dynamo lamp.

Oh, I don't doubt that. It's been a long time since I used a halogen
lamp of any kind.

Okay, I wrongly remembered something about you refusing to use that Oculus
lamp thing in favor of your trusted halogen dynamo light.

No, I've got LED dyno lights on all the bikes that are actually ridden.
Almost all of them are one or another product from Busch & Muller.

The Oculus is still here in the drawer. It's still for sale, although I
haven't really been advertising it.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 26th 20, 01:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Well yes, but one might equally argue that a foot brake, like the old
"coaster brake", is vital to those with no hands.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old September 26th 20, 01:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

Says the man with two hands.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old September 26th 20, 02:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

My friend’s son has one hand that is “withered” and another one that’s
good. They’ve looked at numerous solutions over the years to get front and
rear brakes to work and this one looks nice. A niche market, to be sure,
but buyers exist.

Old September 26th 20, 02:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

I have some experience with one-handed active sport
cyclists. They all hate CB. Most run derailleur controls
on one side (with a dual command brake lever or cable
splitter). Some prefer 7/8/11 gearboxes.

Old September 26th 20, 12:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

It's a problem if you have only one hand/arm or are disabled on one side
which was it's intended audience. A frind has little/no use of his left
hand, which for MTBing means he uses RH/Rear for obvious reasons. Not
so good on tarmac though as he found out.

Old September 26th 20, 01:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Wolfgang Strobl[_3_]

Am Thu, 24 Sep 2020 10:56:05 -0400 schrieb Frank Krygowski
:

On 9/24/2020 10:45 AM, Sepp Ruf wrote:

(And Stvzo approved battery

lights have been completely legal for seven years.)

They're hard to find here in the U.S. Do you have links to common ones
over there?

In 2008, I bought an Ixon IQ LED light for my Panasonic PR3000 racing
bike, for commuting purposes, as a replacement for the formerly used
halogen light. I'm retired for a few years now and rarely ride in the
dark, anymore, but still own and use it, occasionally. My wife ownes one
for her bike, too.

https://www.mystrobl.de/ws/pic/fahrrad/ixoniq/DSC_3811.jpg
https://www.mystrobl.de/ws/pic/fahrrad/ixoniq/DSC_3798.jpg

(These pictures are from 2008)

I'd buy it again. AFAIK, B&M still sell these, plus some enhanced
versions, mainly newer, more efficient LED, 80 lux vs 40 lux.

https://www.bumm.de/en/products/akku-scheinwerfer/parent/192/produkt/192qmla.html?

https://www.bumm.de/en/produkte/akku-scheinwerfer.html
--
Bicycle helmets are the Bach flower remedies of traffic