letter to the editor of The Age re "Drugs, dial, drive, bloody idiot?"

Old July 18th 05, 02:20 AM
Carl Brewer

Default letter to the editor of The Age re "Drugs, dial, drive, bloody idiot?"

here's the article :

http://www.theage.com.au/news/editor...538863161.html

here's my letter to the editor in response :

Old July 18th 05, 02:27 AM
Carl Brewer

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 11:20:22 +1000, Carl Brewer
wrote:

here's the article :

http://www.theage.com.au/news/editor...538863161.html

here's my letter to the editor in response :

Hang me for bad form, with following up to my own post (it's not the
first or last time ...)

The article says the following :

The extraordinary finding that one in 50 drivers stopped by police over a six-month period was under
the influence of drugs is one indication of this. Banning a specific activity largely misses the point.

In the end, drivers will ignore road rules if they think they can get away with it or if they think they
personally are immune from the danger the rule is aimed at preventing. In practical terms,
enforcement has little chance of altering driver behaviour.

It's about attitude, approach and education. In that respect the prohibition on hand-held
mobile telephone use while driving has been an abject failure.

Now, that's bull**** (but I wasn't going to say that in my letter, I
want it published!). I would contend that the reason drink driving
is drastically less prevalent now than it was 20 years ago is
precicely *because* the rules have been enforced, with significant
rigour. Paragraph 2 above is on the money in its first sentence,
but way off in the second.

*If* car drivers actually got caught and punished for yapping into
their phones, they'd stop doing it, pronto.

The prohibition on mobile phone use is a failure because it hasn't
been seriously enforced, not because the prohibition is a bad
idea.

Old July 18th 05, 03:07 AM
alison_b

Carl Brewer Wrote:
here's the article

http://tinyurl.com/7pd4

[...]

The figures are also somewhat skewed, I understand, because dru
testing is set up in targetted areas - that is, when there is
likelihood of drivers being under the influence of drugs in particula
locations.

Frankly though, I'd take the keys off anybody who is under th
influence of anything and hide them where the sun don't shine! Perhap
the pain of retrieval may make them think twice

And yeah... add in mobile phones

(actually, that's a ring tone I don't want to think about downloading

cheers
Al

--
alison_b

Old July 18th 05, 03:27 AM
TimC

On 2005-07-18, Carl Brewer (aka Bruce)
wrote:
[...]

But read further down:
``Just as breaking the links between drinking and speeding and
driving took a concerted campaign, so too will breaking Australians
of the habit of trying to perform and concentrate on two complex
tasks at once.''

I suspect they are implying just what you are saying. A concerted
campaign should involve significant enforcement, as well as an
advertising campaign. I don't think they are ruling out the former in
combination with the latter.

--
TimC
If I sit here and stare at nothing long enough, people might think
Old July 18th 05, 03:50 AM
cfsmtb

TimC Wrote:
But read further down:
``Just as breaking the links between drinking and speeding and
driving took a concerted campaign, so too will breaking Australians
of the habit of trying to perform and concentrate on two complex
tasks at once.''

I suspect they are implying just what you are saying. A concerted
campaign should involve significant enforcement, as well as an
advertising campaign. I don't think they are ruling out the former in
combination with the latter.

Remember this? Sleepy raver killed cyclist, court told:
http://www.cyclingforums.com/showthread.php?t=12694

That mentioned, invariably there's a higher probability of roa
altercations with drivers who overestimate their skills over, say
accidents stemming from methamphetamine, sudafed, or benadryl abuse
It's the old argument of legislation vs education. So, how d
create behavioural change? I'd refer a combination of the two
$everely $lugging the hip pocket

--
cfsmtb

Old July 18th 05, 04:08 AM
Carl Brewer

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 12:50:58 +1000, cfsmtb
wrote:

That mentioned, invariably there's a higher probability of road
altercations with drivers who overestimate their skills over, say,
accidents stemming from methamphetamine, sudafed, or benadryl abuse.
It's the old argument of legislation vs education. So, how do
create behavioural change? I'd refer a combination of the two +
$everely $lugging the hip pocket.

And/or gaol and/or licence suspension/loss - it worked for seatbelts
and drink driving.

Old July 18th 05, 04:22 AM
flyingdutch

cfsmtb Wrote:
Remember this? Sleepy raver killed cyclist, court told:
http://www.cyclingforums.com/showthread.php?t=12694

That mentioned, invariably there's a higher probability of roa
altercations with drivers who overestimate their skills over, say
accidents stemming from methamphetamine, sudafed, or benadryl abuse
It's the old argument of legislation vs education. So, how d
create behavioural change? I'd refer a combination of the two
$everely $lugging the hip pocket.

Agree. BTW, trials currently underway (started last week!) have half
dozen stationery speeding cameras also taking either random o
user-instigated pix of drivers on the phone. These can cover not jus
vehicles passing the camera on the same side of the road but bot
directions

For those who travel High St Kew, halfway up cemetry hill there's on
most mornings.
It is hoped to roll this out into a anti-mobilephone campaign in comin
months (is the next election THAT close?

--
flyingdutch

Old July 18th 05, 04:30 AM
cfsmtb

flyingdutch Wrote:
Agree. BTW, trials currently underway (started last week!) have half
dozen stationery speeding cameras also taking either random o
user-instigated pix of drivers on the phone. These can cover not jus
vehicles passing the camera on the same side of the road but bot
directions

For those who travel High St Kew, halfway up cemetry hill there's on
most mornings. It is hoped to roll this out into a anti-mobilephon
campaign in coming months (is the next election THAT close?)

And.....lets see if this anti-mob campaign has real balls attached
Over simply being yet another revenue raiser for Bracks & co. The whol
speeding issue is completely arse first. Like why design vehicles wit
max speeds in excess of speed limits? (ah, der) So drivers can outgu
any pesky pyroclastic flows

--
cfsmtb

Old July 18th 05, 06:31 AM
TimC

On 2005-07-18, alison_b (aka Bruce)
Frankly though, I'd take the keys off anybody who is under the
influence of anything and hide them where the sun don't shine! Perhaps
the pain of retrieval may make them think twice

And yeah... add in mobile phones!

I'm sure there are some people who would like the vibrate mode of
their mobile used in such a way.

(actually, that's a ring tone I don't want to think about downloading!
)

Insert fart joek here

Sigh.

--
TimC
Kleeneness is next to Godelness.
Old July 18th 05, 06:38 AM
Carl Brewer

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 13:22:09 +1000, flyingdutch
wrote:

cfsmtb Wrote:
Remember this? Sleepy raver killed cyclist, court told:
http://www.cyclingforums.com/showthread.php?t=12694

That mentioned, invariably there's a higher probability of road
altercations with drivers who overestimate their skills over, say,
accidents stemming from methamphetamine, sudafed, or benadryl abuse.
It's the old argument of legislation vs education. So, how do
create behavioural change? I'd refer a combination of the two +
$everely $lugging the hip pocket.

Agree. BTW, trials currently underway (started last week!) have half a
dozen stationery speeding cameras also taking either random or
user-instigated pix of drivers on the phone. These can cover not just
vehicles passing the camera on the same side of the road but both
directions

Interesting, any idea of how the technology works? I would imagine
it wouldn't be too hard to scan for GSM transmissions in line of sight
from a camera and snap if there's a signal?