Bicyclists, lycra and pong

Old September 6th 13, 10:55 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

Default Bicyclists, lycra and pong

On 06/09/2013 10:53, Partac wrote:

"Bod" wrote in message ...

On 06/09/2013 01:59, Partac wrote:

"Bod" wrote in message ...
On 04/09/2013 10:35, Partac wrote:

"Peter Keller" wrote in message ...
http://bit.ly/15szP5k

Bicycles, Lycra and pong.

Three words that describe cycling very well.

Erm! Most cyclists don't wear Lycra.

But most cyclists do pong.

Rubbish! I cycle 6 to 8 miles a day and I smell of roses when I've
finished a ride :-)

Ah, but there lies the problem. Cyclists think they don't smell, but
others do.

Do I detect that you are a saddle sniffer? :-)
Old September 6th 13, 11:13 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Partac[_10_]

"Bod" wrote in message ...
On 04/09/2013 10:35, Partac wrote:

"Peter Keller" wrote in message ...
http://bit.ly/15szP5k

Bicycles, Lycra and pong.

Three words that describe cycling very well.

Erm! Most cyclists don't wear Lycra.

But most cyclists do pong.

Rubbish! I cycle 6 to 8 miles a day and I smell of roses when I've
finished a ride :-)

Ah, but there lies the problem. Cyclists think they don't smell, but
others do.

Do I detect that you are a saddle sniffer? :-)

Don't need to get that close to be treated to the smell. Twenty paces is
sufficient.

Old September 6th 13, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

Bicycles, Lycra and pong.

Three words that describe cycling very well.

Erm! Most cyclists don't wear Lycra.

But most cyclists do pong.

Rubbish! I cycle 6 to 8 miles a day and I smell of roses when I've
finished a ride :-)

Ah, but there lies the problem. Cyclists think they don't smell, but
others do.

Do I detect that you are a saddle sniffer? :-)

Don't need to get that close to be treated to the smell. Twenty paces is
sufficient.

I could imagine that after a long sweaty Lycra clad cycling ride, that
they would whiff a bit.
Old September 6th 13, 04:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Fri, 6 Sep 2013 08:03:12 +0000 (UTC)
Peter Keller wrote:

On Fri, 06 Sep 2013 01:59:16 +0100, Partac wrote:

But most cyclists do pong.

That is also probably true.

Eh? Many people manage to use a bicycle without raising a sweat.
They may be making "pedestrian trip substitute" journeys, rather than
a quick ten mile commute, but with 25% of car journeys under two
miles, they could be replacing car use too. They may not be "cyclists"
as an enthusiast would describe it, but they're using a bike as
transport.

Old September 6th 13, 11:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

On Friday, 6 September 2013 09:04:36 UTC+1, Peter Keller wrote:
On Thu, 05 Sep 2013 15:16:33 -0700, thirty-six wrote:

On Wednesday, 4 September 2013 09:45:09 UTC+1, Peter Keller wrote:

http://bit.ly/15szP5k

Hmm, what's on the menu, cheeseburgers and latte or fruit and green tea?

That is somewhat irrelevant if the prospective consumee is refused entry

to the establishment.

What a body consumes is relevant to the odour it gives off. The establishment holds some responsibility in that food or stuff which it offers its patrons will affect their odour. Give them food-stuff, made from grain and/or animal flesh, and they will be sour, give them the food, be it fruits and herbs, and they will be sweet.
Old September 7th 13, 09:56 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

Peter Keller wrote:

On Fri, 06 Sep 2013 01:59:16 +0100, Partac wrote:

But most cyclists do pong.

That is also probably true.

Eh? Many people manage to use a bicycle without raising a sweat.
They may be making "pedestrian trip substitute" journeys, rather than a
quick ten mile commute, but with 25% of car journeys under two miles,
they could be replacing car use too. They may not be "cyclists"
as an enthusiast would describe it, but they're using a bike as
transport.

To me a "cyclist" is someone who cycles between various points of a task
or set, coming back to the beginning, and then going around again.
I prefer to call a person who uses a contraption with two wheels and a
means of transferring force from the body to the wheels a "bicyclist"
Old September 7th 13, 12:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Sat, 7 Sep 2013 08:56:27 +0000 (UTC)
Peter Keller wrote:

On Fri, 06 Sep 2013 16:07:59 +0100, Rob Morley wrote:

They may not be
"cyclists" as an enthusiast would describe it, but they're using a
bike as transport.

To me a "cyclist" is someone who cycles between various points of a
task or set, coming back to the beginning, and then going around
again.

I thought just that, when (or maybe just after) I posted that. :-)

I prefer to call a person who uses a contraption with two
wheels and a means of transferring force from the body to the wheels
a "bicyclist"

It's a bit clumsy, and don't you think "pedal cyclist" is more useful,
as it includes unicyclists and tricyclists while excluding motor
bicyclists?

Old September 8th 13, 09:02 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

Peter Keller wrote:

On Fri, 06 Sep 2013 16:07:59 +0100, Rob Morley wrote:

They may not be "cyclists" as an enthusiast would describe it, but
they're using a bike as transport.

To me a "cyclist" is someone who cycles between various points of a
task or set, coming back to the beginning, and then going around
again.

I thought just that, when (or maybe just after) I posted that. :-)

I prefer to call a person who uses a contraption with two wheels and a
means of transferring force from the body to the wheels a "bicyclist"

It's a bit clumsy, and don't you think "pedal cyclist" is more useful,
as it includes unicyclists and tricyclists while excluding motor
bicyclists?

"Pedal cyclist" is also OK and unambiguous, and, as you say, more
inclusive and exclusive when needed.
Old September 8th 13, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Stanley Daniel de Liver[_2_]

Peter Keller wrote:

On Fri, 06 Sep 2013 16:07:59 +0100, Rob Morley wrote:

They may not be
"cyclists" as an enthusiast would describe it, but they're using a
bike as transport.

To me a "cyclist" is someone who cycles between various points of a
task or set, coming back to the beginning, and then going around
again.

I thought just that, when (or maybe just after) I posted that. :-)

I prefer to call a person who uses a contraption with two
wheels and a means of transferring force from the body to the wheels
a "bicyclist"

It's a bit clumsy, and don't you think "pedal cyclist" is more useful,
as it includes unicyclists and tricyclists while excluding motor
bicyclists?

Better than "push-bike"!

--
It's a money /life balance.

Plasma Pong pinefresh Unicycling 3 June 30th 07 06:16 AM
Just what is it about lycra?!? cfsmtb Australia 45 November 27th 06 06:07 AM
Just what is it about lycra?!? cfsmtb Australia 4 November 23rd 06 10:59 AM
Just what is it about lycra?!? LotteBum Australia 2 November 23rd 06 07:37 AM
Lycra is BAD Mark Thompson UK 24 May 8th 04 08:24 PM