Bicycles not viable transport in high winds ?

Old October 28th 13, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

Default Bicycles not viable transport in high winds ?

I went out for a drive today (usual thing: buy cuttings at the garden
centre) I saw tens of thousands of vehicles of all types inc.
motorcycles by the dozen, except for bicycles, I only saw 4 in a 30 mile
round trip, and one of those was on a cycle path with lights working and
helmet on, so he doesn't count.

Anyway, why the dearth of bicycles on such a lovely sunny breezy day?
Old October 28th 13, 10:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John Benn

"Mrcheerful" wrote in message
I went out for a drive today (usual thing: buy cuttings at the garden
centre) I saw tens of thousands of vehicles of all types inc. motorcycles
by the dozen, except for bicycles, I only saw 4 in a 30 mile round trip,
and one of those was on a cycle path with lights working and helmet on, so
he doesn't count.

Anyway, why the dearth of bicycles on such a lovely sunny breezy day?

I didn't see a single cyclist on a 17 mile round trip today. I'm not
surprised either, the weather has been terrible. They must all have taken
the bus or "worked from home".

Old October 28th 13, 10:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

On Mon, 28 Oct 2013 18:26:14 +0000, Mrcheerful
wrote:

I went out for a drive today (usual thing: buy cuttings at the garden
centre) I saw tens of thousands of vehicles of all types inc.
motorcycles by the dozen, except for bicycles, I only saw 4 in a 30 mile
round trip, and one of those was on a cycle path with lights working and
helmet on, so he doesn't count.

Anyway, why the dearth of bicycles on such a lovely sunny breezy day?

Over 130 flights at Heathrow cancelled; several rail lines closed;
Dover shut down; London Underground in chaos; motor vehicles diverted
off the A282; 65 mile detours around the Severn Crossings; buses blown
over. It seems that the humble bicycle was about the only form of
transport still viable: but I don't see any problem with a few
cyclists deciding to stay at home.
Old October 28th 13, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

wrote:

I went out for a drive today (usual thing: buy cuttings at the garden
centre) I saw tens of thousands of vehicles of all types inc.
motorcycles by the dozen, except for bicycles, I only saw 4 in a 30 mile
round trip, and one of those was on a cycle path with lights working and
helmet on, so he doesn't count.

Anyway, why the dearth of bicycles on such a lovely sunny breezy day?

Over 130 flights at Heathrow cancelled; several rail lines closed;
Dover shut down; London Underground in chaos; motor vehicles diverted
off the A282; 65 mile detours around the Severn Crossings; buses blown
over. It seems that the humble bicycle was about the only form of
transport still viable: but I don't see any problem with a few
cyclists deciding to stay at home.

a few? on my journey I would usually see at least a few dozen, there
was no shortage of every other form of road transport.
Old October 28th 13, 11:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

"Mrcheerful" wrote

I went out for a drive today (usual thing: buy cuttings at the garden
centre) I saw tens of thousands of vehicles

Could you not have gone to a garden centre in the same country?

of all types inc.
motorcycles by the dozen, except for bicycles, I only saw 4 in a 30 mile
round trip, and one of those was on a cycle path with lights working and
helmet on, so he doesn't count.

Anyway, why the dearth of bicycles on such a lovely sunny breezy day?

As they are rich and don't have the expenses of a car, they can afford more
time off work.

If it was so nice outside why did you stay inside?

Old October 28th 13, 11:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

On 28/10/2013 22:25, TMS320 wrote:
"Mrcheerful" wrote

I went out for a drive today (usual thing: buy cuttings at the garden
centre) I saw tens of thousands of vehicles

Could you not have gone to a garden centre in the same country?

of all types inc.
motorcycles by the dozen, except for bicycles, I only saw 4 in a 30 mile
round trip, and one of those was on a cycle path with lights working and
helmet on, so he doesn't count.

Anyway, why the dearth of bicycles on such a lovely sunny breezy day?

As they are rich and don't have the expenses of a car, they can afford more
time off work.

If it was so nice outside why did you stay inside?

because it was the only viable transport option.
Old October 29th 13, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Monday, 28 October 2013 18:26:14 UTC, Mrcheerful wrote:

Anyway, why the dearth of bicycles on such a lovely sunny breezy day?

Compare the number of damaged bikes with the number of damaged cars he
https://witness.theguardian.com/assi...b0ac030bfe39ff
then conclude whether cyclists or motorists were more sensible.

I rode into work yesterday and today, it wasn't especially windy in these parts.
Old October 29th 13, 08:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mentalguy2k8[_2_]

wrote in message
On Monday, 28 October 2013 18:26:14 UTC, Mrcheerful wrote:

Anyway, why the dearth of bicycles on such a lovely sunny breezy day?

Compare the number of damaged bikes with the number of damaged cars he
https://witness.theguardian.com/assi...b0ac030bfe39ff
then conclude whether cyclists or motorists were more sensible.

Indeed, I expect many motorists wish they'd stored their cars in their
hallways.

Old October 29th 13, 08:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 29/10/2013 19:29, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

wrote in message
On Monday, 28 October 2013 18:26:14 UTC, Mrcheerful wrote:

Anyway, why the dearth of bicycles on such a lovely sunny breezy day?

Compare the number of damaged bikes with the number of damaged cars he
https://witness.theguardian.com/assi...b0ac030bfe39ff
then conclude whether cyclists or motorists were more sensible.

Indeed, I expect many motorists wish they'd stored their cars in their
hallways.

I hear that rips about three and a half feet off the floor, all the way
along the hallway wallpaper (or gauges in the plaster), are very trendy.

Old October 29th 13, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

as is dog **** and grease in the kitchen and bedroom

Viable transport Mrcheerful UK 133 October 14th 13 12:44 PM
Viable form of transport Partac[_10_] UK 30 August 1st 13 09:55 AM
Viable transport? Mrcheerful[_3_] UK 1 July 11th 13 01:04 PM
Non-viable transport news [email protected] UK 131 July 5th 13 02:35 PM
Viable transport Mrcheerful[_3_] UK 4 December 4th 12 09:07 PM