Near Miss of the Day 452: Horse box lorry driver's astonishinglyclose pass "scared me sh*tless," says cyclist

Old August 9th 20, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

Default Near Miss of the Day 452: Horse box lorry driver's astonishinglyclose pass "scared me sh*tless," says cyclist

Bloody hell - that was close!
QUOTE:
Here's an astonishingly close overtake on a cyclist, at speed, by the driver of a horse box lorry - leaving the rider who found himself on the receiving end to say that it "scared me ****less."

The road.cc reader who filmed it, Bruce, said: "It was on the A413 near Whittlebury, just outside Towcester.

"I didn't report it as the number plate is not 100% clear unfortunately, that plus Northamptonshire police never ever update you on submitted videos (against their policy) so totally discouraged from reporting on their side.

"Other forces are much better," he added.

https://road.cc/content/news/near-mi...shtless-276307
Old August 9th 20, 09:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Collins

On Sunday, 9 August 2020 19:51:44 UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
Bloody hell - that was close!
QUOTE:
Here's an astonishingly close overtake on a cyclist, at speed, by the driver of a horse box lorry - leaving the rider who found himself on the receiving end to say that it "scared me ****less."

The road.cc reader who filmed it, Bruce, said: "It was on the A413 near Whittlebury, just outside Towcester.

"I didn't report it as the number plate is not 100% clear unfortunately, that plus Northamptonshire police never ever update you on submitted videos (against their policy) so totally discouraged from reporting on their side..

"Other forces are much better," he added.

https://road.cc/content/news/near-mi...shtless-276307

Nugents will say 'No harm no foul', apparently if you don't actually hit the other road user it doesn't count. Unless you are riding a bicycle and go through a traffic light after it has been red for 0.000000000000001 seconds of course, in that case it proves all cyclists are criminals. I assume Nugents apply the same 'logic' to drunk drivers.
Old August 9th 20, 09:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Sunday, August 9, 2020 at 9:28:36 PM UTC+1, Mike Collins wrote:
apparently if you don't actually hit the other road user it doesn't count.

QUOTE:
What is the sentence for a dangerous driving charge?

A dangerous driving charge is a very serious offence. It can lead to imprisonment as well as a 12 month ban and having to take an extended re-test. Factors that can impact on your sentence include;

Evidence of consumption of alcohol or drugs
Excessive speed
Offence committed whilst driver was disqualified / had no licence and/or insurance
Competitive driving, racing or showing off
Previous convictions, poor driving record and disregard for earlier sentences imposed

Disregard for other pedestrians or road users in the vicinity; and

Prolonged episode of bad driving.
Old August 9th 20, 11:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]

On 09/08/2020 21:37, Simon Mason wrote:
On Sunday, August 9, 2020 at 9:28:36 PM UTC+1, Mike Collins wrote:
apparently if you don't actually hit the other road user it doesn't count.

QUOTE:
What is the sentence for a dangerous driving charge?

A dangerous driving charge is a very serious offence. It can lead to imprisonment as well as a 12 month ban and having to take an extended re-test. Factors that can impact on your sentence include;

Evidence of consumption of alcohol or drugs
Excessive speed
Offence committed whilst driver was disqualified / had no licence and/or insurance
Competitive driving, racing or showing off
Previous convictions, poor driving record and disregard for earlier sentences imposed

Disregard for other pedestrians or road users in the vicinity; and

Prolonged episode of bad driving.

....and having non-functioning windscreen wipers or other egregious
failure to maintain the vehicle in a safe and roadworthy condition?
Old August 9th 20, 11:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]

On 09/08/2020 19:51, Simon Mason wrote:
Bloody hell - that was close!
QUOTE:
Here's an astonishingly close overtake on a cyclist, at speed, by the driver of a horse box lorry - leaving the rider who found himself on the receiving end to say that it "scared me ****less."

The road.cc reader who filmed it, Bruce, said: "It was on the A413 near Whittlebury, just outside Towcester.

"I didn't report it as the number plate is not 100% clear unfortunately, that plus Northamptonshire police never ever update you on submitted videos (against their policy) so totally discouraged from reporting on their side.

"Other forces are much better," he added.

https://road.cc/content/news/near-mi...shtless-276307

Why does it matter that Northamptonshire Police don't update you when
you "dob someone in"?

How does that make reporting of alleged bad driving in any way pointless?
Old August 11th 20, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pamela

On 23:54 9 Aug 2020, JNugent said:

On 09/08/2020 19:51, Simon Mason wrote:
Bloody hell - that was close! QUOTE: Here's an astonishingly close
overtake on a cyclist, at speed, by the driver of a horse box lorry -
leaving the rider who found himself on the receiving end to say that
it "scared me ****less."

The road.cc reader who filmed it, Bruce, said: "It was on the A413 near
Whittlebury, just outside Towcester.

"I didn't report it as the number plate is not 100% clear
unfortunately, that plus Northamptonshire police never ever update you
on submitted videos (against their policy) so totally discouraged from
reporting on their side.

"Other forces are much better," he added.

https://road.cc/content/news/near-mi...scared-me-shtl
ess-276307

Why does it matter that Northamptonshire Police don't update you when
you "dob someone in"?

How does that make reporting of alleged bad driving in any way
pointless?

Perhaps Bruce considers himself an honourary member or very close friend
of the police, entitled to know their internal activities and have them
report back.

There are already enough police time wasters and Bruce might well guess
his previous pettifoggery lies in File 13.
Old August 11th 20, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Tuesday, August 11, 2020 at 6:55:50 PM UTC+1, Pamela wrote:

There are already enough police time wasters and Bruce might well guess
his previous pettifoggery lies in File 13.

Apparently, there are not enough as the police are asking for more footage and driving crime reports from cyclists.

https://road.cc/content/news/police-...ffences-276091