The Unwritten Rules Of The Road (not for cyclists)

Old May 22nd 09, 09:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Squashme

Default The Unwritten Rules Of The Road (not for cyclists)

From GQ (Paul Henderson):-

http://tinyurl.com/r5qx8m
Old May 23rd 09, 05:50 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nuxx Bar

On May 22, 9:16*pm, Squashme wrote:
From GQ (Paul Henderson):-

http://tinyurl.com/r5qx8m

Ah yes. The usual bitterness and tarring of all motorists etc with
the same brush that is so beloved of the minority of militant cyclists.
Old May 23rd 09, 07:11 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
[email protected][_2_]

On 22 May, 21:16, Squashme wrote:
From GQ (Paul Henderson):-

http://tinyurl.com/r5qx8m

Looks all fine and dandy to me, judging by yesterday at 4pm. Death
trap Friday, it seemed to be.

--
Simon Mason
Old May 23rd 09, 07:14 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
burtthebike

wrote in message
On 22 May, 21:16, Squashme wrote:
From GQ (Paul Henderson):-

http://tinyurl.com/r5qx8m

Looks all fine and dandy to me, judging by yesterday at 4pm. Death
trap Friday, it seemed to be.

I've noticed the same phenomenon myself, on Fridays, be extra vigilant, as
for some reason, drivers are taking less care.

BTW, interesting article, but the web site wouldn't allow comments when I
tried.

Old May 23rd 09, 07:48 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

wrote in message
On 22 May, 21:16, Squashme wrote:
From GQ (Paul Henderson):-

http://tinyurl.com/r5qx8m

Looks all fine and dandy to me, judging by yesterday at 4pm. Death
trap Friday, it seemed to be.

I've noticed the same phenomenon myself, on Fridays, be extra vigilant, as
for some reason, drivers are taking less care.

Is that what it was? I hit the road at 4.45 (which is unusual for me) and
thought that the standard of driving had diminished considerably. After
several very close overtakes I took the defensive position of
bang-in-the-middle-of-lane. Problem solved :-)

Old May 23rd 09, 08:48 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Keith T

wrote:
On 22 May, 21:16, Squashme wrote:
From GQ (Paul Henderson):-

http://tinyurl.com/r5qx8m

Looks all fine and dandy to me, judging by yesterday at 4pm. Death
trap Friday, it seemed to be.

--
Simon Mason

Drove to Cornwall and back yesterday -- I'd say that by 5pm there wasn't
a lot of chance for kamikaze driving on the way to the south west.
Saw lots of bikes on the backs of cars (but then the A30 /A303 is hardly
a cycle track)

--

Come to Dave & Boris - your cycle security experts.
Old May 23rd 09, 09:16 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"mileburner" wrote in message

I've noticed the same phenomenon myself, on Fridays, be extra vigilant,
as for some reason, drivers are taking less care.

Is that what it was? I hit the road at 4.45 (which is unusual for me) and
thought that the standard of driving had diminished considerably. After
several very close overtakes I took the defensive position of
bang-in-the-middle-of-lane. Problem solved :-)

It was also a Bank Holiday so drivers were even more determined to get up
the arse of the next car with you in the way.

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Old May 23rd 09, 09:42 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr. Benn

"mileburner" wrote in
:

"burtthebike" wrote in message

wrote in message
.
..
On 22 May, 21:16, Squashme wrote:
From GQ (Paul Henderson):-

http://tinyurl.com/r5qx8m

Looks all fine and dandy to me, judging by yesterday at 4pm. Death
trap Friday, it seemed to be.

I've noticed the same phenomenon myself, on Fridays, be extra
vigilant, as for some reason, drivers are taking less care.

Is that what it was? I hit the road at 4.45 (which is unusual for me)
and thought that the standard of driving had diminished considerably.
After several very close overtakes I took the defensive position of
bang-in-the-middle-of-lane. Problem solved :-)

Until some brain-dead white van driver takes exception to you obstructing
the road and side-swipes you into a tree. Yes, so much safer.
Old May 23rd 09, 09:52 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"Mr. Benn" %%@%%.% wrote in message

I've noticed the same phenomenon myself, on Fridays, be extra
vigilant, as for some reason, drivers are taking less care.

Is that what it was? I hit the road at 4.45 (which is unusual for me)
and thought that the standard of driving had diminished considerably.
After several very close overtakes I took the defensive position of
bang-in-the-middle-of-lane. Problem solved :-)

Until some brain-dead white van driver takes exception to you obstructing
the road and side-swipes you into a tree. Yes, so much safer.

Then he loses his licence and therefore his job.

The point is that it is the cars obstructing the roads by their sheer
numbers and the impatient car drivers imagine it's us holding them up
whereas it's the exact opposite.

Old May 23rd 09, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr. Benn

"Simon Mason" wrote in
. uk:

"Mr. Benn" %%@%%.% wrote in message

I've noticed the same phenomenon myself, on Fridays, be extra
vigilant, as for some reason, drivers are taking less care.

Is that what it was? I hit the road at 4.45 (which is unusual for
me) and thought that the standard of driving had diminished
considerably. After several very close overtakes I took the
defensive position of bang-in-the-middle-of-lane. Problem solved :-)

Until some brain-dead white van driver takes exception to you
obstructing the road and side-swipes you into a tree. Yes, so much
safer.

Then he loses his licence and therefore his job.

And the cyclist potentially loses his life. Which is more important? It's
not worth risking your life to make some kind of stand against motorised
vehicles.

I asked a very keen cyclist that I work with about primary position. He's
the kind of person who thinks nothing of commuting 40 miles a day when the
weather's good. Firstly, he'd never heard of "primary position" and after
I explained, he totally agreed that it was a foolish thing to adopt.

The point is that it is the cars obstructing the roads by their sheer
numbers and the impatient car drivers imagine it's us holding them up
whereas it's the exact opposite.

Not where I live.