A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » Regional Cycling » UK
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Selfish drivers putting cyclists at risk.



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old January 19th 16, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alycidon
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,921
Default Selfish drivers putting cyclists at risk.

QUOTE:
"RESIDENTS say they are concerned for their safety because motorists are using a walkway as a cut-through.

Hull City Council is being urged to install railings or more bollards in Leonard Street, off Beverley Road, to prevent cars from driving across a grass verge onto the cycle path and pavement.

Stacey Milnes, 31, has lived in the area all her life and believes something needs to be done as a matter of urgency. She said: "Cars are just cutting through across the path.

Hull City Council has promised to look into the matter.

Jane Price, the council's assistant city manager, said the actions of the motorists were unacceptable.

She said: "We expected that, by installing a bollard, we would have prevented car access, but smaller vehicles persist in cutting through.

"We will, therefore, be looking at the layout of the bollards, to restrict all vehicle access, which should stop this antisocial behaviour."

http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Hull-...ail/story.html
Ads
  #2  
Old January 19th 16, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 11,574
Default Selfish drivers putting cyclists at risk.

On 19/01/2016 10:02, Alycidon wrote:

QUOTE:
"RESIDENTS say they are concerned for their safety because motorists are using a walkway as a cut-through.
Hull City Council is being urged to install railings or more bollards in Leonard Street, off Beverley Road, to prevent cars from driving across a grass verge onto the cycle path and pavement.
Stacey Milnes, 31, has lived in the area all her life and believes something needs to be done as a matter of urgency. She said: "Cars are just cutting through across the path.
Hull City Council has promised to look into the matter.
Jane Price, the council's assistant city manager, said the actions of the motorists were unacceptable.
She said: "We expected that, by installing a bollard, we would have prevented car access, but smaller vehicles persist in cutting through.
"We will, therefore, be looking at the layout of the bollards, to restrict all vehicle access, which should stop this antisocial behaviour."


http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Hull-...ail/story.html


Motorists using their vehicles on a walkway?

Hard to see how and why it's on-topic here.

But hang on... this is a demarcation dispute, is it?

After all, abusing footways and walkways is a cyclist's job, isn't it?

QUOTE:
We will, therefore, be looking at the layout of the bollards, to
restrict all vehicle access...
ENDQUOTE

The bollards will have to be REALLY close together to prevent *all*
vehicle access, wouldn't you say?
  #3  
Old January 19th 16, 01:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 11,574
Default Selfish drivers putting cyclists at risk.

On 19/01/2016 10:02, Alycidon wrote:

QUOTE:
"RESIDENTS say they are concerned for their safety because motorists are using a walkway as a cut-through.

Hull City Council is being urged to install railings or more bollards in Leonard Street, off Beverley Road, to prevent cars from driving across a grass verge onto the cycle path and pavement.

Stacey Milnes, 31, has lived in the area all her life and believes something needs to be done as a matter of urgency. She said: "Cars are just cutting through across the path.

Hull City Council has promised to look into the matter.

Jane Price, the council's assistant city manager, said the actions of the motorists were unacceptable.

She said: "We expected that, by installing a bollard, we would have prevented car access, but smaller vehicles persist in cutting through.

"We will, therefore, be looking at the layout of the bollards, to restrict all vehicle access, which should stop this antisocial behaviour."

http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Hull-...ail/story.html


How can cyclists be "put at risk" on a walkway?

Surely they are not abusing the rights of pedestrians by cycling on this
walkway, are they?
  #4  
Old January 19th 16, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alycidon
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,921
Default Selfish drivers putting cyclists at risk.

On Tuesday, 19 January 2016 10:02:10 UTC, Alycidon wrote:


She said: "We expected that, by installing a bollard, we would have prevented car access, but smaller vehicles persist in cutting through.

"We will, therefore, be looking at the layout of the bollards, to restrict all vehicle access, which should stop this antisocial behaviour."

http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Hull-...ail/story.html


QUOTE:
"Installing more bollards is only papering over the cracks. There must be serious problems with the road system if drivers feel the need to cut through. A sensible council would look at the big picture, but with HCCs anti-car policy I fully expect the entire area to be made buses only."

What is "anti car" about stopping the selfish gits ripping up the grass and driving over a shared use path?

It is PRO COMMUNITY.

Look at the state of that.

http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/image...7261-large.jpg

VANDALS, pure and simple.


  #5  
Old January 19th 16, 10:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,727
Default Selfish drivers putting cyclists at risk.

On Tuesday, January 19, 2016 at 1:33:02 PM UTC, JNugent wrote:

How can cyclists be "put at risk" on a walkway?

Surely they are not abusing the rights of pedestrians by cycling on this
walkway, are they?


What is the official definition of this 'Walkway' term you have introduced?



  #6  
Old January 20th 16, 12:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 11,574
Default Selfish drivers putting cyclists at risk.

On 19/01/2016 22:01, Simon Jester wrote:
On Tuesday, January 19, 2016 at 1:33:02 PM UTC, JNugent wrote:

How can cyclists be "put at risk" on a walkway?

Surely they are not abusing the rights of pedestrians by cycling on this
walkway, are they?


What is the official definition of this 'Walkway' term you have introduced?


The term "walkway" was used in the original post.

Ask Mason.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Driver jailed for putting child cyclists at risk Alycidon UK 1 October 25th 15 05:15 PM
Selfish cyclists in Northwich are putting pedestrians at risk Mr Benn[_5_] UK 13 July 5th 12 07:29 PM
Study to investigate if cyclists are putting their health at risk----- one for Geoff. Rob Australia 1 March 29th 11 12:20 PM
Putting cyclists at risk Wallace Shackleton UK 25 March 19th 04 11:51 AM
Risk Homeostasis - Drivers and Cyclists Robert Haston Recumbent Biking 50 December 12th 03 04:56 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2023 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.