Mail on Sunday

Old October 19th 03, 01:00 PM
andy w

Default Mail on Sunday

Good to see Kate Hoey (ex sports minister) slagging off cyclists in the MoS
today. Whilst I have sympathy with the viewpoint that cyclists running red
lights etc gives us all a bad name, this sort of thing can only harden
motorists attitudes.

And Hoey was objecting to cyclists not riding in cycle lanes (ever tried
riding over a drain cover, Ms Hoey?) and to cyclists 'who ride down the
middle of the road and object when I sound my horn' (perhaps they're turning
right?).

Old October 19th 03, 01:17 PM
andy w

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/perso...,-2458,00.html

Contact details for the mini-driving ex-sports supremo (just in case you
fancied getting in touch).

Old October 19th 03, 01:58 PM
ouch

Good to see Kate Hoey (ex sports minister) slagging off cyclists in the MoS
today. Whilst I have sympathy with the viewpoint that cyclists running red
lights etc gives us all a bad name, this sort of thing can only harden
motorists attitudes.

And Hoey was objecting to cyclists not riding in cycle lanes (ever tried
riding over a drain cover, Ms Hoey?) and to cyclists 'who ride down the
middle of the road and object when I sound my horn' (perhaps they're turning
right?).

My understanding is that cyclists don't have to use cycle lanes. Isn't
this correct?
Old October 19th 03, 02:11 PM
andy w

Nope - aprt from a very few isolated places where cycles aren't allowed on
the road. But Hoey's comments can only serve to reinforce some motorists'
view that if a cyclist chooses not to (and I've emailed her and pointed out
that lanes are often full of rubbish and also have drain covers in them
which aren't much fun to ride over) then they're fair game and anything that
happens is their own fault.

Old October 19th 03, 02:59 PM
John Hearns

A quick search on their website foun da discussion board:

http://www.femail.co.uk/pages/standa...&in_page_id=25
Old October 19th 03, 03:50 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

andy w wrote:

Good to see Kate Hoey (ex sports minister) slagging off cyclists in the
MoS

I was feeling belligerent so I sent an email, as below.

Right, I'll admit it, I didn't read your piece in the Mail on Sunday. I
never read the Mail any more, it's too much like the BNP's house rag. But
I read a large selected quote from it, and I've seen the quote on their
discussion board. And I'm not happy.

As an MP you should know that red light jumping is very much the province of
youths and London cycle couriers - most adult cyclists have more sense.
Youths as a group are not known for their slavish devotion to the law -
especially when they graduate from relatively harmless bikes to that most
dangerous of toys, the motor car.

And the 50% of cyclists the RAC claim jump red lights compares favourably to
the 90% of drivers who admit to speeding. Of course cyclists who jump red
lights mainly endanger themselves, whereas speeding drivers spread the
danger around and transfer much of it onto vulnerable road users. The
truth is, if you ride a bike in a dangerous manner you end up dead sooner
rather than later. If you drive a car in a dangerous manner you are more
likely to kill someone else.

No, the real problem with cyclists is one of envy. Drivers stuck in their
mobile death greenhouses burning expensive petrol and priceless time see
the ability of cyclists to bypass congestion and take control of their
journey as an effront to their lifestyle choices. The driver knows that
their choice is fundamentally selfish, that the problems they experience
are largely of their own making, but they cover it with a whole raft of
self-justifying excuses about the impracticality of using more
environmentally benign modes. And then a cyclist leaves them standing in
the traffic.

Above all you should know that the hysterical Daily Mail anti-cyclist
bigotry which you have helped to fuel is a significant part of the car
supremacist agenda which is responsible for the fact that most large towns
and cities these days are nigh-on impassable. Except on a bike, of course.

Yours,

Guy Chapman

--
Guy
===
Old October 19th 03, 03:52 PM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

Ms Hoey stinks. It's not cyclists who kill some 3500 people every year on the
roads. and injure thousands more. Ms Hoey should be metaphorically shot.

Cheers, helen s

This is an invalid email adress to thwart spammers
To get my correct email remove the dependency on fame & fortune from
h*$el*$$e**nd***$o$ts***i*$*$m**m$$o*n**s@$*$a$$o* *l.c**$*$om$$

Any speeling mistakes are as a result of cats on the keybrrrdd

Old October 19th 03, 03:59 PM
andy w

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message
andy w wrote:

Good to see Kate Hoey (ex sports minister) slagging off cyclists in the
MoS

I was feeling belligerent so I sent an email, as below.

I too was moved to write to the hurrying Ms Hoey. If we get a reply we
should post them here.

"I write with regard to your article in today's Mail on Sunday.

You appear to regard cyclists as some sort of obstruction that stop you from
whizzing around London in your mini (very trendy, I'm sure). Have you ever
considered that you as one who insists on driving your little metal box into
London are one of those who cause delays and congestion? People who cycle
to work should be applauded not slagged off in some crass 'get the motorists
on our side' stunt.

You state that cyclists should be forced to ride in cycle lanes where they
are provided - can I suggest that you try riding in a cycle lane before you
begin pontificating? Cycle lanes are painted by the kerb - the gutter is
(a) full of rubbish and (b) has grates and drain covers in it. If you've
ever cycled you would realise that riding across these things causes
punctures and damage to your bike - so some of us exercise our legal right
as road users to cycle on the main cariageway when we feel it is safer to do
so. If that causes you to be held up for a few seconds then tough - my life
is more important than a few seconds of your time.

I was interested that you were careful to make the point that not all
cyclists are 'lycra louts' - but you must surely be aware that articles like
yours will make the large number of motorists who drive dangerously near
cyclists feel justified in their behaviour. "It's alright - I might have
broken his legs but he was one of them lycra louts that Kate Hoey was on
about."

If anyone wrote an article trying to smear an ethnic minority with such
broad generalisations ("but of course - there are some law abiding black
people - they're not all crack dealers") there would be an outcry - well I
for one hope that you have lost your party the support of a large section of
the population - you've ceratinly lost mine.

Oh - and by the way - sounding your horn to tell someone to get out of the
way is illegal."

Old October 19th 03, 04:14 PM
Peter B

"John Hearns" wrote in message
news
A quick search on their website foun da discussion board:

http://www.femail.co.uk/pages/standa..._id=200212&in_
page_id=25

What ****es me off about that is this bit:
"Do you agree with Kate Hoey? Do you think cyclists regularly break the law
and deliberately wind drivers up?
Or, are car drivers to blame? Do they think they own the road and show
little regard for vunerable cyclists?"

HELLO! there are bad apples in both barrels!

Pete

Old October 19th 03, 04:27 PM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

But Hoey's comments can only serve to reinforce some motorists'
view that if a cyclist chooses not to (and I've emailed her and pointed out
that lanes are often full of rubbish and also have drain covers in them
which aren't much fun to ride over) then they're fair game and anything that
happens is their own fault.

I've emailed her in pretty much the same light, pointing out it's not cyclists
who kill 3500 annually on Britain's road and injure many more. I've also
invited her out on a cycle ride.

Sunday Ride Richard Adams Rides 0 November 14th 03 06:45 PM
Herne Hill - Saturday and Sunday this weekend John Hearns UK 2 October 3rd 03 09:51 AM