6 months out - Coker frame upgrade

Old September 11th 06, 12:30 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Trapper

Default 6 months out - Coker frame upgrade

I'm thinking about upgrading my stock Coker frame in early '07. The
trouble is that I'm not sure who is still making frames and who isn't.
Is there a current list somewhere or should we just hash it out here?
I'm looking for something that isn't prone to flex. (I'm a
clydesdale.)

--
Trapper
Trapper's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10341

Old September 11th 06, 12:42 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
joemarshall

Is it a stock coker wheel?

If so, the flex may possibly be because of a poor wheelbuild.

Also, do you run magura brakes? If you're having problems with maguras,
downgrading to a cheap caliper brake doesn't have the brake pad rubbing
issues that maguras have.

Joe

--
joemarshall

my pics http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuq44

Old September 11th 06, 01:19 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Trapper

Gosh. I posted a reply but I don't see it. Here it goes again...

Dave Stockton will pass out cold if he hears you talking like that
I can't imagine a better wheelbuild. (heheheh) I had the rim
machined for brakes but have not put any on yet. I didn't have the
extra cash for to get the brakes at the time but wanted to make the
transition as smooth as possible when I did upgrade the frame. The
stock Coker does not have the mounting hardware on it nor do I wish to
deal with having mounts brazed on and then have to powdercoat/paint the
frame.

Part of the reason for the upgrade is to be able to get setup with
brakes, part is to upgrade to a stronger frame with minimal flex, and
the final reason is to have a frame that looks worthy of sporting
Dave's wheelset and Scott's saddle. The stock chrome frame just
doesn't marry up well for me so the bling factor kicks in here. It's
not all about functionality and logic. Some of it is entirely
superficial.

Old September 11th 06, 01:36 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
joemarshall

Trapper wrote:
The stock Coker does not have the mounting hardware on it nor do I wish
to deal with having mounts brazed on and then have to powdercoat/paint
the frame.

You don't need mounts for a caliper brake, which according to Roger
unicycle.com is the best brake for a coker.

But if you want a frame anyway, hunter make a coker frame.

Oh and unicycle.com are coming out with a new frame pretty soon which
would fulfil your bling criteria.

Joe

Old September 11th 06, 01:37 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
plumsie

Well if you are after a frame with little or no flex and that has the
bling factor check out the new UDC 36 frame, it should be available
very soon (next few weeks) and is very nice.

Plumsie

--
plumsie
plumsie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9800

Old September 11th 06, 01:45 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Trapper

joemarshall wrote:
You don't need mounts for a caliper brake, which according to Roger
unicycle.com is the best brake for a coker.

Joe

I'm intrigued. How does it stay on the frame if it doesn't use mounts?

Old September 11th 06, 01:56 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
pdc

I got a Hunter frame and noticed a distinct difference in flex when
climbing. They are a little pricey but they are beautifully formed.

|Filename: Hunter Coker.JPG |

pdc

"What doesn't kill you strengthens you, what kills you strengthens your
mother"
pdc's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8160

Old September 11th 06, 08:13 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mark williamson

Trapper wrote:
I'm intrigued. How does it stay on the frame if it doesn't use mounts?

A caliper brake needs only a single hole, which you can drill yourself
at the top of the forks - no need to braze on any special mounts. I
believe you can also attach a V brake this way, using an adapter.

There's a tutorial on attaching a caliper brake in the first issue of
the Uni magazine.

--
mark williamson

Dave: Just a question. What use is a unicyle with no seat? And no
pedals!
Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!
mark williamson's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11301

Frame upgrade Javier Techniques 21 January 7th 06 02:19 PM
My Coker Frame Has Come! burnitalltwice Unicycling 4 September 30th 05 10:07 PM
FS: NOS Colnagos and never ridden 50th Anniversary Schwinn Paramount Frank Marketplace 0 January 6th 05 06:45 AM
Inexpensive coker frame fluffinator007 Unicycling 8 March 30th 04 09:48 PM
New Coker: Hunter frame, Stockton wheel rubic Unicycling 14 September 15th 03 04:07 PM