First coker crash

Old November 19th 06, 01:23 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
cathwood

Default First coker crash

I had my first coker crash today.

Here's the story:

I have recently learnt to freemount and had freemounted but landed with
my foot in an uncomfortable position. I have learned to move my foot by
wriggling it on the pedal pins. However, it seems that if the edge of
my foot is at the edge of the pedal then either due to the pattern on
the shoe or the pins being bigger on the edge, I find it difficult to
move my foot from this position. And I find it really annoying.

Anyway, there I was riding along with my foot at the edge of the pedal
and feeling uncomfortable because I wanted to move my foot outwards a
bit. I tried to ignore the feeling and then I tried to move my foot. I
fiddled around for a while then one moment I was fiddling with my foot
and the next minute I was on the floor. No warning. No feeling of
falling off and so having time to 'land' in some way. No. One minute I
was riding, the next minute I was on the floor.

Luckily I had just ridden round the corner from some little girls who
had admiringly asked how I did it and I had told them that you
practice. Luckily too no one had seen me because there is nothing I
hate more than being asked if I'm OK when I've hurt myself. My sense of
shame is stronger than my sense of self-preservation so I would
probably say that I was OK even if my arm was hanging off.

Even luckier still, I hadn't really hurt myself. I banged and scraped
my elbow but it wasn't enough to make me shorten my ride and I even
went the long way home because it was such a nice day.

My elbow is just sore enough to make me think about wearing elbow pads
when riding, especially if I was only in a t shirt. But perhaps not.
Anyway it was not the slow decent that I always thought that falling
off the coker would be.

--
cathwood

Cathy

Old November 19th 06, 01:25 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
iridemymuni

as long as you didnt get hurt.

well with any luck it wont be the first of many.

what pedals are you using?

--
iridemymuni

munipsycho wrote:
Just a bit of advice: never vomit while wearing a full-face helmet.

irvinegr wrote:
haha i just thaught it was funny the title is "3th movie"

pixystix6 wrote:
oo give him and intising lap dance while he rubs pasteries all over you

kapoute wrote:
It just depend if you are gay or not...

'Bike Coalition!!' (www.bikecoalition.com)
iridemymuni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11900

Old November 19th 06, 02:30 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
gordito8me

ya that's happened to me. I was trying to get my foot into place and
(call me stupid) I was hopping while doing this and my foot hit the
back part of the pedal and it came back and put some rakeage into my
shins. I ended up having to pull the pedal out of my shin.

--
gordito8me
gordito8me's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13641

Old November 19th 06, 02:38 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
onewheeldave

cathwood wrote:
[...]

A few weeks back I has a very similar fall on the 29-er.

Just riding, not doing anything tricky, my left (non-mounting) foot
felt slightly off- I recall adjusting it, then the next thing I'm
-slammed- into the ground- it made a hell of a 'slapping' sound and
pretty much the whole pedestrianised bit I was on turned to look

Normally, the very few UPDs I have are easy to walk out of, the even
fewer that I had up on the ground are usually decent landings.

I think with this, one of my feet somehow got tangled in the cranks-
possibly the uni was going backwards at this time and this lead to the
'slamming' effect.

Although the injury was slight (skinned elbow) I felt that it could
have been a lot worse ie broken elbow if I'd been less lucky.

I've not ridden the 29-er since and have stuck to the 24x3- i will
doubtless go back to the 29-er, but only when I've developed a stategy
to mitigate against that kind of rare, but random, UPD.

It did occur to me to start wearing elbow pads, but, though I'm totally
happy to use helmet and wrist guards, I find elbow pads for just (non
trick) riding to be undesirable in terms of both comfort and looks.

I have become very much more aware when making foot adjustments on the
pedals- I've had other strange UPDs when doing this. I feel it's more
of a danger when it's my non-mounting foot as, due to the fact that, as
it goes on first it's generally well-placed and rarley need adjustment
whereas my right foot gets more practice as it often needs adjustment
immediately after mounting.

As a circus skills/arts/crafts tutor, I'm always very wary of things
that can damage wrists/elbows, so I did take this particular fall very
seriously.

--
onewheeldave

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the ******* work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32
onewheeldave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/874

Old November 19th 06, 03:14 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Trapper

By all means wear the elbow pads! Very few things are more painful that
an elbow injury and it's so easily prevented. I always wear wrist and
elbow protection with my Coker. When it's cold out and I'm wearing
workout pants the kneepads just won't stay put. So if I'm wearing
shorts I also have on the kneepads. You never think about them until
until the exposed nerve endings are screaming "Why! Why! WHY!" and you
can only say "I dunno?"

--
Trapper
Trapper's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10341

Old November 19th 06, 04:24 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
cathwood

I long ago came to the realisation that if I UPD'd on the coker that I
was going to hurt myself - otherwise I would never have ridden any
faster than very slowly. I'm resistant to wearing elbow pads because I
neither like the restricted feeling that they give nor do I like the
time taken to get ready for a ride. It takes enough time already to get
the cycle shorts on, the camelpak ready, sort out my wrist guards
(which I landed on - probably would have had a broken wrist otherwise -
I always wear wrist guards), my helmet, mp3 player and mobile phone.
Since I have only had this kind of UPD on the coker once in the 6
months that I've had it and that my ears are the most important part of
my job, elbows don't come into it, I'm willing to risk it elbow padless
unless it happens again.

I was happy that I wasn't too afraid to get back on - freemounting as
well, although I wasn't very enthusiastic about moving my foot on the
pedal on the way home.

--
cathwood

Cathy

Old November 19th 06, 04:26 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
maximus unius

gordito8me wrote:
ya that's happened to me. I was trying to get my foot into place and
(call me stupid) I was hopping while doing this and my foot hit the
back part of the pedal and it came back and put some rakeage into my
shins. I ended up having to pull the pedal out of my shin.

That sounds VERY PAINFUL.

--
maximus unius

Originally Posted by *Beener*
Is ISIS, ISIS, is ISIS not ISIS, is KOXX ISIS really ISIS, is Kris Holm
ISIS more ISIS than KOXX ISIS, ISISISISISIS!

maximus unius's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13699

Old November 19th 06, 04:32 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
cathwood

maximus unius wrote:
That sounds VERY PAINFUL.

It absolutely does. Much more painful than a banged elbow.

--
cathwood

Cathy

Old November 19th 06, 04:41 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
brendan

i had to do that once too, remove the pedal off the shin.. the day i had
just fitted my brand new wellgo pedals, went with my trial biker
friends and we found a nice drop, about 0.8m or sommit (i didnt have a
trials uni at the time), and i jumped, and fell and the wheel came
right back into my shins (at the time no 661s) and straight into the
back of my leg... damn the back of legs are soft, the pins went through
and i ahd to physicslaly remove them... i still haev the marks of the
pins in the back of my leg... 4 of them went into my shin....

funnily enough on the moment it wasnt that bad, but afterwards it was
****ing pretty baddly and started being quite painfull...

anyways sorry to hear your coker fall, doesnt sound nice... if i ever
get enough money to get a distance uni, i think i'd go for the 29"....
36" looks kinda scary. lol

--
brendan
brendan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13680

Old November 19th 06, 05:17 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Loosemoose

Ow! Sorry to hear about your unfortunate fall Cathy, happens to
'everyone' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaTT3iqYE8c) at some
point... Glad to hear you're ok tho, and it hasn't shaken you too
badly. I wear wrist, knee and head protection when cokering, but then
I've still got many miles to cover before I can consider myself as
competent on mine.

Loose.

--
Loosemoose

Vice President - Southampton University Circus Society

"Come on you target for far away laughter,
come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine..." - Pink
Floyd
Loosemoose's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6326