Turning?

Old October 7th 06, 05:28 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
JusticeZero

Default Turning?

OK, I watched the tutorial films, i've read the forums, and i'm still
not sure how to turn aside from excessive flailing (not very effective
and tends to unbalance me) I'm not "leaning too much" since if anything
i'm not leaning enough, as my wheel ends up outside of the turn from
where i'm sitting still mostly vertical, and things fall apart from
there, or else I just can't turn aside from jerking the seat and the
like, or vaaastly slow turns that don't even get me turned around on a
practice space.
What should my weight be doing in a turn? What's the dynamics involved?
What's doing the work of the turn? Just turning my upper body doesn't
seem sufficient so far as I end up very twisted while flailing etc. but
seem to go straight nonetheless, but I may be missing something.

--
JusticeZero
JusticeZero's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13539

Old October 7th 06, 07:04 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Trapper

What worked for me was to stop trying to turn tight circles and start
out with a slow bank that eventually got me around corners. I'm
talking about riding on empty streets and eventually getting around a
corner but being in the oncoming lane. How I did that was like this.
If you are making a right turn take your left finger and point that way
with your arm going across your chest. Not so it touches your chest
but like you're making a 45 degree angle with your chest and arm. If
you keep going straight then you probably have your hips in a death
lock. Relax a little. Start by making slow banks like an airplane
would. When you get the hang of it start making tighter and tighter
turns. Eventually it all comes together.

--
Trapper
Trapper's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10341

Old October 7th 06, 07:59 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
onelesscar

Depending on how long you've been unicycling, you may not have enough
practice or control to turn yet. When learning, it's very
tough/difficult to turn, but once you gain more control, you are just
suddenly able to turn.

That being said, I think there are two ways: action/reaction turns, and
banked turns. Action/reaction is when you quickly twist your upper body
(or flail) in the opposite direction to turn the uni in the direction
you want.

Banked turns are easier on the wheel, since you have less skid, and are
performed by leaning into the direction of a turn at speed.

--
onelesscar

"It's f*$%^*g raining!"
"Well, is it f*$%^*g or is it raining?"

"That car was -melting-????"
onelesscar's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11127

Old October 7th 06, 08:12 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Chexjc

^^yea..the more you ride straight..the easier it'll become to turn...at
first i turned by slowing down and then jerking the seat..but that
looks sloppy. When you get the hang of riding better you'll be able to
lean into the turns and make them look nice

--
Chexjc
Chexjc's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13511

Old October 7th 06, 09:19 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Borgschulze

I find the twisting my hips and thrusting down on the forward pedal on
the opposite side you're turning works out well.. although it is
sketchy.

--
Borgschulze

Spare some change for a new unicycle?
Borgschulze's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13501

correct right turning procedure Michele Woods Australia 20 May 27th 06 12:50 PM
Turning problem Mark Australia 14 September 29th 05 04:58 AM
Turning...one foot riding Memphis Mud Unicycling 4 April 26th 04 10:08 PM
Braking while turning [email protected] Techniques 45 August 1st 03 06:56 PM