Sales of bicycles overtakes sales of cars in Spain

Old August 31st 15, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

Default Sales of bicycles overtakes sales of cars in Spain

One of the comments from this link:

"My car failed its MOT in November and I couldn't afford to have it
fixed, nor buy a replacement. I'm a single parent, a student with the OU
studying for a Classics degree and a part-time cleaner - I thought I
needed a car. I couldn't have been more wrong. I cycle to all my jobs -
the furthest away is 6 miles, no matter what the weather. I hadn't
cycled for over 30 years and never for more than a couple of miles. 10
months on I take the long route home (around 20-25 miles) whenever I can
just for the fun of it, I've lost 3 dress sizes and I am discovering
places I never knew existed. If I was offered a car as a gift now - I'd
say "thank you very much for your kindness, but no thank you" without a
second thought".

http://www.theguardian.com/environme...e-stories-blog
Old August 31st 15, 12:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Lang

Default Sales of bicycles overtakes sales of cars in Spain IN 2012!

On 31/08/2015 11:35, Bod wrote:
One of the comments from this link:

"My car failed its MOT in November and I couldn't afford to have it
fixed, nor buy a replacement. I'm a single parent, a student with the OU
studying for a Classics degree and a part-time cleaner - I thought I
needed a car. I couldn't have been more wrong. I cycle to all my jobs -
the furthest away is 6 miles, no matter what the weather. I hadn't
cycled for over 30 years and never for more than a couple of miles. 10
months on I take the long route home (around 20-25 miles) whenever I can
just for the fun of it, I've lost 3 dress sizes and I am discovering
places I never knew existed. If I was offered a car as a gift now - I'd
say "thank you very much for your kindness, but no thank you" without a
second thought".

http://www.theguardian.com/environme...e-stories-blog

There you go, being thick again. These are 2012 figures.

Cycle sales rose only because, with 25% unemployment at the time, people
were forced into cycling.

Now the economy has improved it has all changed back.

2014 figures; new car sales surged 24% for a 10th consecutive month of
year-on-year gains as the market rebounds from record lows with 18%
first-half growth.

Old August 31st 15, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 31/08/2015 11:35, Bod wrote:

One of the comments from this link:

"My car failed its MOT in November and I couldn't afford to have it
fixed, nor buy a replacement. I'm a single parent, a student with the OU
studying for a Classics degree and a part-time cleaner - I thought I
needed a car. I couldn't have been more wrong. I cycle to all my jobs -
the furthest away is 6 miles, no matter what the weather. I hadn't
cycled for over 30 years and never for more than a couple of miles. 10
months on I take the long route home (around 20-25 miles) whenever I can
just for the fun of it, I've lost 3 dress sizes and I am discovering
places I never knew existed. If I was offered a car as a gift now - I'd
say "thank you very much for your kindness, but no thank you" without a
second thought".

http://www.theguardian.com/environme...e-stories-blog

Which faculty of the OU allows one to study for a part-time cleaner?

And does the university have an English department?
Old August 31st 15, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

On 31/08/2015 12:16, David Lang wrote:
On 31/08/2015 11:35, Bod wrote:
[...]

And the figures for the total bicycle sales in Spain for 2014 (for
comparison) are ?
Old August 31st 15, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

On 31/08/2015 12:18, JNugent wrote:
On 31/08/2015 11:35, Bod wrote:

[...]

Información desconocida, Senor.
Old August 31st 15, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alycidon

On Monday, 31 August 2015 11:35:51 UTC+1, Bod wrote:
One of the comments from this link:

"My car failed its MOT in November and I couldn't afford to have it
fixed, nor buy a replacement. I'm a single parent, a student with the OU
studying for a Classics degree and a part-time cleaner - I thought I
needed a car. I couldn't have been more wrong. I cycle to all my jobs -
the furthest away is 6 miles, no matter what the weather. I hadn't
cycled for over 30 years and never for more than a couple of miles.

I did without a car to travel to work for 20 years - it's perfectly feasible and practical.

Old August 31st 15, 12:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

On 31/08/2015 12:26, Alycidon wrote:
On Monday, 31 August 2015 11:35:51 UTC+1, Bod wrote:
One of the comments from this link:

"My car failed its MOT in November and I couldn't afford to have it
fixed, nor buy a replacement. I'm a single parent, a student with the OU
studying for a Classics degree and a part-time cleaner - I thought I
needed a car. I couldn't have been more wrong. I cycle to all my jobs -
the furthest away is 6 miles, no matter what the weather. I hadn't
cycled for over 30 years and never for more than a couple of miles.

I did without a car to travel to work for 20 years - it's perfectly feasible and practical.

Aye, all you need is the self motivation to start with.
Old August 31st 15, 01:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Parry

On Mon, 31 Aug 2015 12:20:25 +0100, Bod wrote:

And the figures for the total bicycle sales in Spain for 2014 (for
comparison) are ?

According to the Spanish Association of Cycle Manufacturers and
Distributors (AMBE)compared to 2012, bike sales in Spain dropped by
7.5% in 2014. Electric bikes had the greatest percentage growth
(76%). In 2013 a total of 1,034,374 bikes were sold.

In Spain, 855,308 cars were sold in 2014, up 18.4 percent from 2013
and the best annual performance since 2010.
Old August 31st 15, 02:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

On 31/08/2015 13:41, Peter Parry wrote:
On Mon, 31 Aug 2015 12:20:25 +0100, Bod wrote:

And the figures for the total bicycle sales in Spain for 2014 (for
comparison) are ?

According to the Spanish Association of Cycle Manufacturers and
Distributors (AMBE)compared to 2012, bike sales in Spain dropped by
7.5% in 2014. Electric bikes had the greatest percentage growth
(76%). In 2013 a total of 1,034,374 bikes were sold.

In Spain, 855,308 cars were sold in 2014, up 18.4 percent from 2013
and the best annual performance since 2010.

Thanks for the stats.
Old August 31st 15, 02:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tarcap

"Bod" wrote in message ...

One of the comments from this link:

"My car failed its MOT in November and I couldn't afford to have it
fixed, nor buy a replacement. I'm a single parent, a student with the OU
studying for a Classics degree and a part-time cleaner - I thought I
needed a car. I couldn't have been more wrong. I cycle to all my jobs -
the furthest away is 6 miles, no matter what the weather. I hadn't
cycled for over 30 years and never for more than a couple of miles. 10
months on I take the long route home (around 20-25 miles) whenever I can
just for the fun of it, I've lost 3 dress sizes and I am discovering
places I never knew existed. If I was offered a car as a gift now - I'd
say "thank you very much for your kindness, but no thank you" without a
second thought".

http://www.theguardian.com/environme...e-stories-blog

Couldn't afford to run a car, so had to "slum it" on a bike.
We're always being told that cyclists are in the highest earning bracket -
what went wrong?