Cyclist Luke Rowe delivers new bike to intensive care doctor

Old April 8th 20, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

Default Cyclist Luke Rowe delivers new bike to intensive care doctor

QUOTE:
Welsh cyclist Luke Rowe has hand-delivered a brand new bicycle to a doctor whose bike was stolen while working in intensive care in Cardiff.

The top Tour de France cyclist bought a £400 bike for Dr Tom Roberts after he finished treating coronavirus patients to find his was gone.

Rowe approached Dr Roberts after he tweeted about the incident, which happened at the University Hospital of Wales on Saturday.

Rowe, who lives in Lisvane, Cardiff, stayed two metres away from Dr Roberts as he personally delivered the new bike to his home in Cyncoed, Cardiff.

Dr Roberts said: "It was awfully nice of him - he didn't need to do this.

"Luke messaged me on Twitter after hearing about the theft and offered me the bike.

"He sent me a message to say he was on the way to mine and brought it round.."

Dr Roberts said: "I'd been working in intensive care, came out of work about 8:45pm and went down to where I normally park my bike. The lock had been cut through and my bike was missing.

"It's pretty disappointing at the moment, particularly when the NHS is being held in potentially a higher regard than it normally is.

"For someone to do that in a hospital when you are on shift working to help people and save their lives, that's a little bit disappointing."

https://www.itv.com/news/wales/2020-...-during-shift/
Old April 8th 20, 08:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pamela

On 17:37 8 Apr 2020, Simon Mason said:

Dr Roberts said: "I'd been working in intensive care, came out of work
about 8:45pm and went down to where I normally park my bike. The lock
had been cut through and my bike was missing.

I thought thefts had plummeted because the criminal classes were all self-
isolated at home.

Seems one thief was out and about with his bolt-cutters or whatever they use.
Old April 8th 20, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Wednesday, April 8, 2020 at 8:49:36 PM UTC+1, Pamela wrote:
On 17:37 8 Apr 2020, Simon Mason said:

Dr Roberts said: "I'd been working in intensive care, came out of work
about 8:45pm and went down to where I normally park my bike. The lock
had been cut through and my bike was missing.

I thought thefts had plummeted because the criminal classes were all self-
isolated at home.

I thought that *house* burglaries were down because most people are at home now, instead of being outside.