Really oiff topic

Old December 1st 19, 05:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default Really oiff topic

On Sun, 1 Dec 2019 04:21:12 -0000 (UTC), news18
wrote:

On Sat, 30 Nov 2019 13:14:27 -0800, pH wrote:

As for lions and crocodiles :-) No lions and I believe that crocodiles
catch more people, annually, in Australia than they do in Thailand. But
we do have a certain amount of problems with elephants.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYHcMc748Uc --
cheers,

John B.

Wow!
Guess I should not complain about dogs.

Crocs are only a problem if you want to go swimming in the same water
they do or you are stupid enough to camp overnight close to the water
hole.

On a club trip decades ago, a "discussion" about camping near the
waterholee was finally settled when on the morning after, fresh croc
prints were discovered 50 yards from the waterhole in a direct line to
where our tens had been that night. Since the print spacing were broader
than any one shoulder, the point was never argued again.

Crocs(no swimming) and mosquitoes are the two major reasons to not go
touring in Northern Australia.

No mosquitoes in the south?
--
cheers,

John B.

Old December 1st 19, 07:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

wrote:

[...]

Some, but they tend not to swarm and give you a new shirt just after dark.
In northern Aus, you put on long clothing and liberally apply insect
repelant before dusk. And, the overwheliming sound you hear is mass
mossie buzzing.

Down south they tend to bred far less and the buzz is usually solitary.
One warm blooded person seems to provide protection for a group. VBG.

Old December 1st 19, 04:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 11/30/2019 10:37 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Saturday, 30 November 2019 23:21:14 UTC-5, news18 wrote:
[...]

Righto, plus a lot of people don't realize just how fast a croc can run too.

Cheers

As is often doted, one need not outrun a crocodile, just run
faster than the other guy.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old December 1st 19, 11:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Sun, 01 Dec 2019 10:04:32 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

[...]

Have fat, clumsy, friends in other words :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old December 2nd 19, 12:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Mon, 02 Dec 2019 06:01:49 +0700, John B. wrote:

[...]

The advice only works if crocodiles don't fixate on their target and are
happy to swap to a seemigly easier target mid run.

Old December 2nd 19, 12:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Sunday, December 1, 2019 at 2:29:48 AM UTC-5, news18 wrote:
On Sun, 01 Dec 2019 12:01:57 +0700, John B. wrote:

No mosquitoes in the south?

Some, but they tend not to swarm and give you a new shirt just after dark.
In northern Aus, you put on long clothing and liberally apply insect
repelant before dusk. And, the overwheliming sound you hear is mass
mossie buzzing.

Down south they tend to bred far less and the buzz is usually solitary.
One warm blooded person seems to provide protection for a group. VBG.

Some people are exceptionally attractive to mosquitoes. Supposedly, it can be
due to many factors: metabolism, diet, blood type, etc.

I'm one of those people, as my family well knows. As an example: I was once
working for a large local corporation that employed hundreds of engineers, most
of them seated in cubicles in a very large room, maybe 150 feet square. My desk
was dead center.

As I sat working one day, a mosquito landed on my arm. To reach me, she had to
fly past, oh, perhaps 100 other less tasty engineers. But she chose me.

- Frank Krygowski

Old December 2nd 19, 01:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Sun, 1 Dec 2019 16:36:10 -0800 (PST), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

[...]

There is no question that you are correct. I am seldom bitten by a
mosquito while my wife, at the same time and in the same place will be
bitten frequently.

As a bit of useless information only the female mosquito bites, the
male gets by on plant nectar.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old December 5th 19, 01:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tanguy Ortolo

John B., 2019-11-29 23:31+0100:
It was just that I had thought that 3 hours and 45 minutes was a long
time to spend washing dishes. But you are correct that the manual
shows that as the most economic program.

That can be explained. When you have to wash something, to make sure
everything sticky is washed out, you can either use very hot water and
bush hard, or just put to dish inside warm water for a long time, until
every dirty bit softens and goes off easily. The equivalent for a
dishwasher is to use less powerful jets of warm water rather than
powerful jets of almost boiling water.

--
Tanguy