Deore much superior to Alivio = V-brakes?

Old December 7th 19, 07:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Deore much superior to Alivio = V-brakes?

I want to get some BLACK V-brakes to go with my BLACK Tektro V-brake levers for a dropbar.

The not so local bicycle shop has both Alivio and Deore V-brake calipers in black.

There is a $24.00 difference in the price of the two pairs of Deore versus Alivio. Is there a REALLY noticeable difference in the PERFORMANCE of Deore V-brake calipers over Alivio ones?

Here are the numbers I got from the shop's website.

Alivio Black Front EBRT4000FX43SLP
Alivio Black Rear EBRT4000RX43SLP

Deore Black Front EBRT610FX41SLP
Deore Black Rear EBRT610RX41SLP

I hope these numbers help.

Cheers
Old December 7th 19, 07:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Saturday, December 7, 2019 at 10:23:32 AM UTC-8, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I want to get some BLACK V-brakes to go with my BLACK Tektro V-brake levers for a dropbar.

The not so local bicycle shop has both Alivio and Deore V-brake calipers in black.

There is a $24.00 difference in the price of the two pairs of Deore versus Alivio. Is there a REALLY noticeable difference in the PERFORMANCE of Deore V-brake calipers over Alivio ones?

Here are the numbers I got from the shop's website.

Alivio Black Front EBRT4000FX43SLP
Alivio Black Rear EBRT4000RX43SLP

Deore Black Front EBRT610FX41SLP
Deore Black Rear EBRT610RX41SLP

I hope these numbers help.

Cheers

Be aware that flat bar levers have a different ratio than drop bar levers so there are two types of V-brakes - cross brakes and MTB brakes. The arms of the cross V-brakes is shorter and they usually say so. I think that you can get either from Tektro and TRP makes only cross V-brakes as far as I know. Most of the rest of the manufacturers make them for MTB's though that market seems to be falling.
Old December 7th 19, 08:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 12/7/2019 12:23 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I want to get some BLACK V-brakes to go with my BLACK Tektro V-brake levers for a dropbar.

The not so local bicycle shop has both Alivio and Deore V-brake calipers in black.

There is a $24.00 difference in the price of the two pairs of Deore versus Alivio. Is there a REALLY noticeable difference in the PERFORMANCE of Deore V-brake calipers over Alivio ones?

Here are the numbers I got from the shop's website.

Alivio Black Front EBRT4000FX43SLP
Alivio Black Rear EBRT4000RX43SLP

Deore Black Front EBRT610FX41SLP
Deore Black Rear EBRT610RX41SLP

I hope these numbers help.

Cheers

Deore has fancy brake shoe holders. Arms, springs, small
parts aren't different.

Both come with the 'safety' spring inside the front noodle
which makes your front brake feel soft. It's a feature,
called Power Modulator. If that annoys you as it does us,
any LBS will have a not-Shimano noodle for a couple of dollars.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old December 7th 19, 08:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Saturday, 7 December 2019 14:22:11 UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Thanks again Andrew.

I guess I'll go with the Alivio ones then.

Cheers