Lithium Grease

Old March 23rd 04, 08:40 PM
Simonb

Default Lithium Grease

What is it for? Is it OK to use it for hubs and such?

Thanks

Simon

Old March 23rd 04, 10:53 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 20:40:38 -0000, "Simonb"
wrote in message
:

What is it for? Is it OK to use it for hubs and such?

As long as it doesn't form crystals...

--
Guy
===

Old March 23rd 04, 11:51 PM
Frank X

wrote in message
:

What is it for? Is it OK to use it for hubs and such?

As long as it doesn't form crystals...

Is that what causes the rims to warp?

Old March 24th 04, 02:54 AM
Daniel Barlow

"Simonb" writes:

What is it for? Is it OK to use it for hubs and such?

I use it for hubs and have not yet had one explode on me. I also use
it (less often than I ought to) for the bearings in my inline skates.

-dan

--
"please make sure that the person is your friend before you confirm"
Old March 24th 04, 07:18 AM
vernon levy

What is it for? Is it OK to use it for hubs and such?

As long as it doesn't form crystals...

Is that what causes the rims to warp?

No but it's a factor...

Old March 24th 04, 08:27 AM
Bert L.am

"Simonb" schreef in bericht
.. .
What is it for? Is it OK to use it for hubs and such?

Thanks

Simon

Lithiumgrease is a grease which uses lithiumsoap as thickener. It can be
used to grease your bearings and is just as good as any other grease.

Bert L.

--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu
Old March 24th 04, 09:22 AM
Pete Biggs

Simonb wrote:

What is it for? Is it OK to use it for hubs and such?

Ok/good for bearings although some lithium greases may dry up or not last
as long as bog standard stuff - only a problem if not servicing for a long
time. It tends to be quite thin so keeps drag to a minimum*.

Some people claim it makes dissimilar metals weld together through
electrolysis, causing static parts like seatposts and stems to seize. I'm
never quite sure if that's true or bollards.

Wilkinsons sell 500g tubs of Comma brown lithium grease for £2.19.

* But won't perform as well as it will in high speed applications (cars,
motorbikes) because temperatures in bicycle bearings are lower.

~PB

Old March 24th 04, 09:33 AM
Pete Biggs

What is it for? Is it OK to use it for hubs and such?

Ok/good for bearings

ps. It also seems okay for bolt threads/heads.

~PB

Old March 24th 04, 11:05 AM
Simon Brooke

in message , Simonb
') wrote:

What is it for? Is it OK to use it for hubs and such?

Yer actual bog tandard general mechanics' grease. Useful for bearings,
screw threads, more or less anything. You can pay a lot more for
'boutique' grease but lithium grease will do well for most things.

Windows 95:
You, you, you! You make a grown man cry...
M. Jagger/K. Richards
Old March 24th 04, 11:15 AM
Tony W

"Simon Brooke" wrote in message
in message , Simonb
') wrote:

What is it for? Is it OK to use it for hubs and such?

Yer actual bog tandard general mechanics' grease. Useful for bearings,
screw threads, more or less anything. You can pay a lot more for
'boutique' grease but lithium grease will do well for most things.

Don't let it too near rubber goods!!