ASA Complaint

Old November 30th 07, 10:23 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Carol Hague

Default ASA Complaint

I had a letter from the ASA this morning about my DoT advert complaint.
They disagree that it's misleading and won't be taking any further
action. Bah.

Can't say I'm surprised exactly.

--
Carol
"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put
Old November 30th 07, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marc

Carol Hague wrote:
I had a letter from the ASA this morning about my DoT advert complaint.
They disagree that it's misleading and won't be taking any further
action. Bah.

I'll expect my reply by email soon then!

Can't say I'm surprised exactly.

The had the same attitude to the "Nissan 30 MPH " road safety ad which
showed a Nissan with obviously disconected rear brakes involved in an
accident at 30 mph. I think there seems to be an attitude of "It's a
government advert, it can't be wrong"
Old November 30th 07, 08:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Colin McKenzie

Carol Hague wrote:
I had a letter from the ASA this morning about my DoT advert complaint.
They disagree that it's misleading and won't be taking any further
action. Bah.

Might be worth going to the DfT themselves, or your MP. You could
point out the known effect of helmet promotion in reducing cycling -
principally by fostering the myth that it's dangerous.

Colin McKenzie

--
No-one has ever proved that cycle helmets make cycling any safer at
the population level, and anyway cycling is about as safe per mile as

Old December 1st 07, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Carol Hague

Colin McKenzie wrote:

Carol Hague wrote:
I had a letter from the ASA this morning about my DoT advert complaint.
They disagree that it's misleading and won't be taking any further
action. Bah.

Might be worth going to the DfT themselves, or your MP.

I may try the DfT (thanks) but Rob and I have contacted our MP before
about cycling issues and he has unfortunately proved himself to be a
useless tosser who can't read for comprehension. He has said recently
that he won't be defending his seat at the next election, so there's a
faint hope that his successor might be more use, but until then it's not
worth it :-(

Old December 1st 07, 09:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
DavidR[_2_]

"marc" wrote

The had the same attitude to the "Nissan 30 MPH " road safety ad which
showed a Nissan with obviously disconected rear brakes

Sigh!

involved in an
accident at 30 mph. I think there seems to be an attitude of "It's a
government advert, it can't be wrong"

Obviously the film makers should have anticipated these complaints and
broken the car to avoid them.

Car manufacturers pare their costs to the bone and they wouldn't fit a
pressure regulator on the rear brake without any intention of using it to
regulate the pressure.