WHOOPS! Mountain biker injured so badly in fall that it looked likehe had been in a 70mph car crash

Old May 17th 19, 06:18 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

Default WHOOPS! Mountain biker injured so badly in fall that it looked likehe had been in a 70mph car crash

https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/n...y-fall-2872277

Mountain biker injured so badly in fall that it looked like he had been in a 70mph car crash

He almost died
By
Paul Whitelam
05:00, 16 MAY 2019
News

A man who suffered near-fatal injuries in a fall from his mountain bike has gone on to run marathons after he was saved by the Lincolnshire & Nottinghamshire Air Ambulance.

Simon Bryson, 54, was biking around Willingham Woods, near Market Rasen, when he came off as he negotiated a two foot jump and hit the ground with an almighty thump.

He suffered several fractured ribs, a broken collarbone, a punctured lung, a fractured vertebrae and a double fracture to his pelvis.
The air ambulance crew during an exercise to mark 25 years of saving lives (Image: Paul Whitelam)

Mr Bryson, from Keelby, spent three days in intensive care at Hull Royal Infirmary following his rescue and was in hospital for three months overall.

The college lecturer said on the 25th anniversary of the air ambulance that consultants told him that less seriously injured people than him had died.

He says that while his recovery is ongoing following the accident four years ago, his good level of fitness meant that he avoided serious disability.

Mr Bryson said: "One consultant said it looked as if someone had hit me at 70mph in a car.

"Had I not been wearing a helmet I wouldn't be here now."

He added: "The accident happened on Saturday, June 27, 2015. My son Euan, who was 13 at the time, and I had had a great day at the woods.

"I said: 'Let's do one last run.'. We got to the last 20 to 30 yards and I took a two foot jump.

"As I landed I had a tyre blow and I hit the ground. I remember being put in the helicopter and asking the skipper if my son could come with us.

"I remember being underneath the canopy of a beech tree looking up while on a cocktail of morphine and ketamine.

"I was in hospital for three months and my recovery continues.

"The level of my fitness helped me avoid serious disability."

Each ambucopter mission costs about £2,500 and it is called to around 1,000 emergencies a year.
Simon Bryson (Image: Paul Whitelam)

Back when Mr Bryson needed the air ambulance, the rescue mission cost the charity £1,200 but was free for him.

Once he was well enough, he decided to repay his 'debt' and he has since raised a total of £9,200 for the ambucopter with activities including running the London Marathon.

To support the charity visit www.ambucopter.org.uk