RFI:700c carbon fork - straight vs curved legs

Old August 5th 03, 08:17 PM
Mark Hickey

Default RFI:700c carbon fork - straight vs curved legs

kwalters wrote:

Building up a frame so will be needing a fork. One of the least
expensive
forks that I have found is an Alpha Q with straight legs. I'm wondering
if those straight legs are going to pound me into discomfort, or is
there
no appreciable difference in ride between straight and traditional fork
legs?

So as to not start another ride quality issue, especially centering on
tire size,
I ride 700c*25s.

No difference. The "curved" forks are effectively straight in terms
of loading anyway - you'd need a huge hydraulic press to get any
"compression" along the length of a curved fork. Then you'd need a
new fork!

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
Old August 5th 03, 09:36 PM
Mysterex

Don't know anything about the Alpha Q fork but I've done many thousands of
km on my trusty Colnago Master Olympic with straight (steel) forks and it's
the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden.

Craig.

"kwalters" wrote in message
Building up a frame so will be needing a fork. One of the least
expensive
forks that I have found is an Alpha Q with straight legs. I'm wondering
if those straight legs are going to pound me into discomfort, or is
there
no appreciable difference in ride between straight and traditional fork
legs?

So as to not start another ride quality issue, especially centering on
tire size,
I ride 700c*25s.

TIA. Ken

Old August 7th 03, 02:23 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Performance Summer clearance catalog: Alpha Q EX $249.99 BRBR

Ya ought to check to see if these are from TrueTemper or the older 'Alfa Q'
maker. I think the older ones, straight blade, were recalled, just before he
sold all of it to TT...

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old August 8th 03, 02:02 AM
dookie

fyi,

the 'older ones' that peter refers to were made by AME, who sold the brand &
design to true temper.

also, currently on rec.bicycles.marketplace there is a (claimed) as-new ouzo
pro for $200.

$0.02,

dookie

"kwalters" wrote in message

Mack Mad wrote:

"kwalters" wrote in message
Building up a frame so will be needing a fork. One of the least
expensive
forks that I have found is an Alpha Q with straight legs. I'm

wondering
if those straight legs are going to pound me into discomfort, or is
there
no appreciable difference in ride between straight and traditional

fork
legs?

So as to not start another ride quality issue, especially centering on
tire size,
I ride 700c*25s.

TIA. Ken

When did Alpha Q's become "the least expensive" option?

Performance Summer clearance catalog: Alpha Q EX $249.99

Steel Frame vs Aluminum Frame w/ Carbon seat stays and carbon fork ydm9 General 6 April 12th 04 09:42 PM
Aluminum bike w/ Carbon seat stays and fork SUGGESTIONS ydm9 General 10 April 6th 04 05:26 PM
Cutting a Carbon Fork D.P.G. General 0 March 26th 04 02:32 AM
new front end - carbon fork ?'s dookie Techniques 2 August 1st 03 01:53 PM