Do you use a mirror when you ride?

Old March 24th 06, 06:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Default Do you use a mirror when you ride?

Years ago, I didn't use a mirror. Then I got one for a gift, and I'm
hooked! This first mirror was a helmet mount, but now I prefer a
handlebar mount. What do you use?
Jim Gagnepain
http://home.comcast.net/~oil_free_and_happy/

Old March 24th 06, 06:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

I don't use a mirror for day rides, but when I'm touring with a heavily
loaded bike (front and rear panniers, sleeping bag, tent, foam pad) I
find it helpful. It's just a little bit harder to turn around and look
back while riding such a bike.

At first I tried the small clip-on helmet mirrors but the small size
limits my backwards field of view. I had to scan behind me by twisting
my head, in order to get a decent view. Also, in the event of a crash
I'm not crazy about having another thing up there near my eye.

I agree that a mirror on the bars vibrates too much.

What works for me is a wrist-mounted mirror. While touring through
West Yellowstone, a bike shop sold me a snowmobiler's mirror. It is a
convex mirror about 3 inches in diameter. An elastic strap holds it to
my left wrist. A slight arm movement is all it takes to see anything
behind me. The front of the mirror is a white reflector for added
safety. This mirror looks a little odd, but it works out well. It
doesn't vibrate, it is large, there are no sharp edges, and it's not
close to my eye.

Old March 24th 06, 07:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

wrote:

Years ago, I didn't use a mirror. Then I got one for a gift, and I'm
hooked! This first mirror was a helmet mount, but now I prefer a
handlebar mount. What do you use?
Jim Gagnepain
http://home.comcast.net/~oil_free_and_happy/

I have used a handle bar mounted mirror ever since buying one while on
my first bike tour in 1991. Contrary to other comments, it does not
vibrate too much. In fact, I don't even notice vibration. I'm sure it
does, but it does not reduce it's effectiveness. It's a relatively
large, flat mirror. One quick glance and I know what's going on behind
me (even if it's a "tiny" bicycle in the distance).

Of course you can hear cars coming from behind, but how many are there?
That's where the mirror comes in. I feel blind whenever I ride a bike
without one. I also enjoy having a mini landscape "painting" off my left
handlebar - blue sky, green grass and trees, black/gray road.

My preference is "The Mirrycle."

http://www.cycletourist.com/Scenes/Bar_End_Mirror.html

--
*****************************
Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO
Old March 24th 06, 07:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

I don't use a mirror, I tend to just look behind me.

Old March 24th 06, 10:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

wrote:
Years ago, I didn't use a mirror. Then I got one for a gift, and I'm
hooked! This first mirror was a helmet mount, but now I prefer a
handlebar mount. What do you use?
Jim Gagnepain
http://home.comcast.net/~oil_free_and_happy/
After 20 years of adult cycling I decided to try a mirror in 2002. I
scanned the web looking for advice and decided to default to Sheldon
Brown's Third-Eye Pro (helmet mirror). I told myself I would try it
for one month (I ride every day, mostly long commutes in traffic).

I wanted to dump it after the first few days but looking back my
frustration was due mostly to fine tuning the mirrow position. Four
years later, I am so used to it I feel naked without it. I ride a road
bike, often in the drops, and I am aware of every car coming up behind
me. I know if the motorist is crowding me or not. When making a left
turn I can turn my head and scan several lanes of traffic behind me.
The only time I turn around and look is to get a drivers attention.

Speaking from my own experience,
Tom

Old March 25th 06, 05:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 12:30:48 -0700, Chuck Anderson wrote:

My preference is "The Mirrycle."

http://www.cycletourist.com/Scenes/Bar_End_Mirror.html

A couple of fellow riders swear by the "Italian Road Bike Mirror" from
Aspire Velotech:

http://tinyurl.com/hyrpu

I'd consider one of these.

Most riders I know use helmet mirrors. But my helmet gets stuffed into a
backpack and generally thrown around, so a helmet mirror would be getting
knocked out of alignment all the time. An eyeglass mirror would be
equally inconvenient.

I do fine without a mirror, but they're a good idea. When riding into the
wind, I often can't hear vehicles behind me at all. So I look back often.

Matt O.
Old March 25th 06, 03:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Matt O'Toole writes:

My preference is "The Mirrycle."

http://www.cycletourist.com/Scenes/Bar_End_Mirror.html

A couple of fellow riders swear by the "Italian Road Bike Mirror"
from Aspire Velotech:

http://tinyurl.com/hyrpu

I'd consider one of these.

I wouldn't for a couple of reasons. The needed size of the mirror is
dependent on distance from the eye to give a reasonable field of view.
This mirror is about the size of a dental mirror and at more than arms
length from the eye. It is also not adjustable so it can serve for
only one position (on the tops or in the hooks). In addition, it
vibrates with road roughness and gets knocked off as easily as my bar
end caps do that I replace now and then because they are missing.

Most riders I know use helmet mirrors. But my helmet gets stuffed
into a backpack and generally thrown around, so a helmet mirror
would be getting knocked out of alignment all the time. An eyeglass
mirror would be equally inconvenient.

That's a lesser problem than a fixed mirror on the bar plug.

I do fine without a mirror, but they're a good idea. When riding
into the wind, I often can't hear vehicles behind me at all. So I
look back often.

That may be a problem if you want to know what is going on behind all
the time.

Jobst Brandt
Old March 25th 06, 04:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 15:51:52 +0000, jobst.brandt wrote:

Matt O'Toole writes:

A couple of fellow riders swear by the "Italian Road Bike Mirror"
from Aspire Velotech:

http://tinyurl.com/hyrpu

I'd consider one of these.

I wouldn't for a couple of reasons. The needed size of the mirror is
dependent on distance from the eye to give a reasonable field of view.
This mirror is about the size of a dental mirror and at more than arms
length from the eye. It is also not adjustable so it can serve for
only one position (on the tops or in the hooks). In addition, it
vibrates with road roughness and gets knocked off as easily as my bar
end caps do that I replace now and then because they are missing.

It's a convex mirror so alignment isn't an issue. I'm sure vibration
is a problem on rough pavement though.

I do fine without a mirror, but they're a good idea. When riding into
the wind, I often can't hear vehicles behind me at all. So I look back
often.

That may be a problem if you want to know what is going on behind all
the time.

It hasn't been yet. I make note of and remember what's around me, and
look around occasionally to check on things.

Matt O.