How to tell if you're a militant cyclist (psycholist)

Old March 9th 12, 01:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport
Partac[_10_]

Default Drink driver banned after being caught four times the limit

"Simon Mason" wrote in message

On Mar 5, 4:19 pm, Ian Jackson
wrote:
In message
,
Simon Mason writes

On Mar 5, 2:51 pm, wrote:
On Mon, 5 Mar 2012 06:12:04 -0800 (PST)

wrote:
I expect he was relying on a cheap Chinese breath testing device to
keep
within the law, after drinking 12 pints a few hours before.

What do you think about this new law then?
The Frog plod seem to think they are OK - $2 can't buy much in the way
of accuracy.

QUOTE:
Starting July 1, you'll have to carry a portable blood-alcohol test
kit with you if you want to drive in France. You'll be fined 11 euros
-- about $15 -- if you can't produce one when the gendarmes ask.

Frankly who's going to bother. You're supposed to keep a flourescent
vest
on the back seat too amongst other things but I've never bothered in
all the
times I've driven in france

In Germany you have to have a vest for *each* person in the car AND
they all have to be inside the vehicle, otherwise that is another
offence you are committing.

In order to avoid falling foul of the law when driving in western
Europe, does anyone have a list of all the things you need to carry? The
way things seem to be going, there's going to be little actual room in
the car for passengers.
--
Ian- Hide quoted text -

Off the top of my head and I have driven in 35 European countries.

These do not apply to all countries,but I make sure I take most of
them.

Spare bulbs, warning triangle, first aid kit, fire extinguisher,
fluoroescent jacket for each person inside the car, V5 document,
driving licence, passport, evidence of insurance/green card,
international driving permit and visa (for some countries), spare
glasses, in some countries outside the EU a GB 'sticker' is required
even if you have euro-plates, so it is always safer to display one,
adjust the beam pattern to suit driving on the right so that the
dipped beam doesn't dazzle oncoming drivers, the use or possession of
devices to detect police radar is illegal in most European countries,
some require winter tyres at certain times of the year in which case a
minimum tread depth of 3mm is generally required (the Czech Republic
now requires 4mm), snow chains are important for any winter motoring
and compulsory in some countries even when using winter tyres,
motorway vignettes, road tolls and certain border entry taxes.

--
Simon Mason

Don't you bring along an emergency supply of alcohol - absolutely essential
in your case, I would think.

Old March 9th 12, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport
Simon Mason

"Partac" wrote in message

"Simon Mason" wrote in message

On Mar 5, 4:19 pm, Ian Jackson
wrote:
In message
,
Simon Mason writes

wrote:
[...]

We collect enough beers to drink in our hotel rooms at night, yes.
I usually fill up with Shell V-Power then go in with my IKEA sack and
collect maybe 20 beers, although in Latvia it was so cheap I bought enough
to last until Oslo a week later.

-
Simon Mason

Old March 9th 12, 08:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport
jnugent

On 09/03/2012 20:22, Simon Mason wrote:

"Partac" wrote in message

"Simon Mason" wrote in message

On Mar 5, 4:19 pm, Ian Jackson
wrote:
In message
,
Simon Mason writes

wrote:
[...]

After all, the last thing you want to do is help the local economy and local
employment by paying bar prices, isn't it?
Old March 10th 12, 03:40 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport
Peter Keller[_3_]

On Fri, 09 Mar 2012 12:42:12 +0000, Dave - Cyclists VOR wrote:

halfwit?

The author argues that insults are an important social and organizational
phenomenon, which causes powerful emotions and enters people's personal
histories.

--
An oft-repeated lie is still a lie.
Old March 10th 12, 08:58 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport
Mrcheerful[_3_]

thirty-six wrote:
On Mar 7, 3:55 pm, "Mrcheerful" wrote:
thirty-six wrote:
On Mar 7, 2:00 pm, "Mrcheerful" wrote:
thirty-six wrote:
On Mar 7, 3:49 am, Simon Mason wrote:
On Mar 6, 1:27 pm, thirty-six wrote:

On Mar 6, 5:14 am, Simon Mason wrote:

On Mar 5, 4:19 pm, Ian Jackson

wrote:
In message
,
Simon Mason writes

wrote:
[...]

and working windscreen wipers for fixed windshields, I believe.

Ah yes, it was rather hairy that 3500 miles round trip with just
a thin smear of Rain-X to keep the rain off.
The worst part was going to an Alfa dealer in Wroclaw, Poland and
them charging £70 to tell me that they could not help me as it
was a RHD motor.

--
Simon Mason

That must've been a good night out for them all.

Donkey's years ago I got home in a vehicle with dead wipers, we
disconnected the motor and had a bit of string that went from one
wiper arm, through the quarterlights and back to the other wiper
arm, then when you needed to see where you are going

Maybe after starting the engine, or did you normally look out the
back to see where you'd been?

you just pull the wire left then right.

Potato anyone?

not always easily available at the side of the road, and definitely
not as good as hand operated wipers.

So the farmers grow string around your way then? ;-)

In those days there was always plenty of junk and a tow rope in the boot,
along with a leaking can of petrol. Ithink the only time I went foraging
was when a bonnet came up while on a motorway, I hunted down some fencing
wire to hold it back down with.

Old March 10th 12, 10:19 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport
thirty-six

thirty-six wrote:
On Mar 7, 3:49 am, Simon Mason wrote:
On Mar 6, 1:27 pm, thirty-six wrote:

On Mar 6, 5:14 am, Simon Mason wrote:

On Mar 5, 4:19 pm, Ian Jackson

wrote:
In message
,
Simon Mason writes

wrote:
[...]

Ah well, sun's out and I've got a car radiator to repair, but thheres
no need for fencing wire, just need to crimp the metal on to the
plastic side tanks. That'll teach me to put anti-freeze in the
cooling system. ;-)
Old March 26th 12, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

Another idiot taken off the roads.
Double wriggle noted - get shot of the keys and pretend you weren't there.

QUOTE:

Magistrates hit a man with a five-year-driving ban after he ploughed his car
into a ditch while almost four times over the legal limit.

Paul Gray, 49, of Churchill Close, Stewartby was found by a Bedfordshire
Police PCSO having crashed his Ford Mondeo in Cranfield Road, Wootton.

Gray, who had been banned from driving in 2009 for a similar offence, was
found in the driver’s seat by the officer and tried to make off from police
on foot. He was arrested after it was discovered he tried to discard the
keys to the car near to the crash scene on February 20.

When tested he was found with 122 microgrammes of alcohol in 100 millitres
of breath, the legal limit being 35.

Despite pleading guilty to the charges at Bedford Magistrates’ Court earlier
this month, Gray maintained he had never driven the vehicle but refused to
provide details of who he claimed was the driver.

Prior to his sentencing hearing Gray finally accepted his guilt before the
bench handed him the five-year ban this week.

Gray who was unrepresented said: “I apologise for wasting for the court’s
time. By being here today I’ve left myself at the mercy of magistrates.”
Magistrates described Gray’s behaviour as outrageous and also ordered him to
serve a 12-month-supervision order and to take an alcohol treatment course.

http://www.bedfordshire-news.co.uk/N...n-23032012.htm

--
Simon Mason

My brush with a psycholist Mr. Benn[_7_] UK 70 November 6th 10 11:01 AM
Environmental militant slain at Silver Spring building after taking hostages Bill Weir Mountain Biking 15 September 15th 10 05:24 PM
Psycholist JMS UK 456 July 21st 10 08:07 AM
Psycholist judith UK 13 November 13th 08 08:05 AM
The Militant wing of u.r.c David Martin UK 12 May 3rd 05 03:58 PM