Woman fined for 'dooring' a cyclist

Old October 23rd 13, 12:35 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

Default Woman fined for 'dooring' a cyclist

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/ne...list-1-5608550
Old October 23rd 13, 01:54 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

On Wed, 23 Oct 2013 00:35:28 +0100, Mrcheerful
wrote:

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/ne...list-1-5608550

=====Quote=====
It is rare for a person to be charged with the offence of using a
vehicle door to injure or endanger a person.
=====/Quote=====

But not rare for a vehicle door to be used in such a way.
Old October 23rd 13, 02:38 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

wrote:

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/ne...list-1-5608550

=====Quote=====
It is rare for a person to be charged with the offence of using a
vehicle door to injure or endanger a person.
=====/Quote=====

But not rare for a vehicle door to be used in such a way.

strange that most people never come across it, you would think it would
be commonly reported and prosecuted if it occurred as often as
psycholists claim. or perhaps cyclists ride in such a manner that it
happens to them because of the way they use the roads?
Old October 23rd 13, 07:43 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

wrote:

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/ne...list-1-5608550

=====Quote=====
It is rare for a person to be charged with the offence of using a
vehicle door to injure or endanger a person.
=====/Quote=====

But not rare for a vehicle door to be used in such a way.

strange that most people never come across it, you would think it would
be commonly reported and prosecuted if it occurred as often as
psycholists claim. or perhaps cyclists ride in such a manner that it
happens to them because of the way they use the roads?

I heard once that 50% of cyclist deaths and serious injury in London
were caused by motorists opening car doors into the path of innocent
cyclists. I cannot now find the source of that data. But like the
criminal speeding of many motorists, dooring of cyclists is so common
that it is rarely reported. Indeed, in the link above, it is admitted
that the reason for the report is that a prosecution for dooring is
"rare", and it is that rarity which has caused the report, rather than
the dooring itself.
Old October 23rd 13, 08:24 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brian Robertson[_12_]

On 23/10/2013 00:35, Mrcheerful wrote:
http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/ne...list-1-5608550

Good to see that people are sometimes being prosecuted for this crime.
Old October 23rd 13, 08:28 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

wrote:

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/ne...list-1-5608550

=====Quote=====
It is rare for a person to be charged with the offence of using a
vehicle door to injure or endanger a person.
=====/Quote=====

But not rare for a vehicle door to be used in such a way.

I've never seen that happen in well over 50 years of cycling.
Old October 23rd 13, 08:46 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brian Robertson[_12_]

wrote:

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/ne...list-1-5608550

=====Quote=====
It is rare for a person to be charged with the offence of using a
vehicle door to injure or endanger a person.
=====/Quote=====

But not rare for a vehicle door to be used in such a way.

I've never seen that happen in well over 50 years of cycling.

I haven't seen it either, but I haven't seen a lot of things that DO happen.
Old October 23rd 13, 08:53 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

wrote:

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/ne...list-1-5608550

=====Quote=====
It is rare for a person to be charged with the offence of using a
vehicle door to injure or endanger a person.
=====/Quote=====

But not rare for a vehicle door to be used in such a way.

strange that most people never come across it, you would think it would
be commonly reported and prosecuted if it occurred as often as
psycholists claim. or perhaps cyclists ride in such a manner that it
happens to them because of the way they use the roads?

I heard once that 50% of cyclist deaths and serious injury in London
were caused by motorists opening car doors into the path of innocent
cyclists. I cannot now find the source of that data.

I once heard that 98.67% of all cases of death and serious injury in
London were caused by cyclists riding along footways, cycling through
red lights, along railway station platforms, down supermarket aisles,
the wrong way along one-way streets and along the overtaking lanes of
the capitals (few) motorways.

I cannot now find the source of that dat.... er.... story.

Any more than you can find the source of your little tale.
Old October 23rd 13, 08:55 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

wrote:

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/ne...list-1-5608550

=====Quote=====
It is rare for a person to be charged with the offence of using a
vehicle door to injure or endanger a person.
=====/Quote=====

But not rare for a vehicle door to be used in such a way.

I've never seen that happen in well over 50 years of cycling.

I can't claim fifty years of continuous cycling, but I too have never
seen it happen.

I've seen car doors being opened of course, but no matter what my travel
mode, I've always managed to stop or divert in plenty of time.

Perhaps drivers and offside passengers, once having entered a vehicle,
should - by law - have to stay inside it for the rest of their lives?

Old October 23rd 13, 08:55 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brian Robertson[_12_]

wrote:

[...]

So if we can assume that what Bertie said is what he would like to be
true (and you are suggesting that it isn't), can we assume that your
list of causes of death is what you would like to be true (but it isn't)?