Cyclometers . . .

Old October 21st 03, 05:58 AM
Bent Pedals

Default Cyclometers . . .

Is it just me, or is my cyclometer/speedometer as much as
nuisance as a useful tool?

Went for a ride today and made it several blocks before I
realized I'd forgotten the speedometer. I said the heck with it and
continued on my merry way. It had to be one of the most enjoyable
rides in the 5 weeks since I picked up my bent! No fussing around
checking time/distance/average, no racing trying to keep the average
up, and no second thoughts heading home, trying to sneak in one or two
more kilometers on the ride. It was almost like the self imposed
"competition" was off. It resulted in a relaxed, leisurely, 1.5 hour
ride. Just what the doctored ordered to shake off the impending winter
blues.

Yes, speedometers are useful and interesting, and the numbers
certainly let you see improvement in your riding and where maybe a
little more work might be needed. And they are invaluable in keeping
logs and keeping track of distances and averages. All useful and
interesting stuff without argument.

Am I the only one that thinks this way? How many ride,
working with the numbers on the cyclometer and how many ride and
ignore the numbers until the end of the trip?

Grin, maybe before a ride I should draw a white sock over the
speedo and ignore the numbers until after the ride is over. (sorry
Risto, couldn't resist).

Old October 21st 03, 11:24 PM
Mark Leuck

"Bent Pedals" wrote in message
news

[...]

It depends on the ride, on the Baron during short 20 - 30 mile trips I tend
to use and pay attention to it more, I did 70 miles Sunday and didn't pay
attention to it at all.

Old October 22nd 03, 02:28 AM
Rod Dabe

I take it you forgot your GPS too? How did you figure out your ascent
and descent totals?

Rod (tongue firmly planted in cheek)
Old October 22nd 03, 02:28 AM
Rod Dabe

Old October 22nd 03, 08:13 AM
Mikael Seierup

"Bent Pedals" skrev

Am I the only one that thinks this way? How many ride,
working with the numbers on the cyclometer and how many ride and
ignore the numbers until the end of the trip?

A faulty harness on my Cateye Astrale means only cadence works.
I do miss the distance and max speed functions a bit
but otherwise theres no problem. Wouldn't be without cadence though.

Mikael

Old October 22nd 03, 04:11 PM
BentJay

If you're following any of the Adventure Cycling maps, knowing
distance to the nearest tenth/mile is helpful as their narratives
refer to mileage. My old Cateye has a hrm function which is useful in
riding an aerobically correct ride when I'm training. Knowing that I
average only 15 mph is information I could do without!

BentJay