SRAM Grip Shift Front Derailleur Question

Old October 25th 03, 08:56 PM
swamprun

Default SRAM Grip Shift Front Derailleur Question

Just got an Actionbent Jetstream on Friday.
I've spent a few hours trying to get this beast together.
The front derailleur is by Shimano, the grip-shift is by SRAM.

I can not get the front derailleur to shift properly. Going
from position 1 to 2, the cable gets reeled in way too much.
It shifts hard all the way from the small to the large chainring,
completely bypassing the middle. It is stopping at position 2
with the cable good and tight, and the derailler hard against
the stop.

I compared the amount of cable movement to a working Shimano
triple front with Ultegra shifters, and the SRAM is pulling
way more cable per click.

Is it possible I have some version of SRAM which is incompatible
with the Shimano triple front derailleur ?

Regards,
Greg
Old October 25th 03, 08:59 PM
Mikael Seierup

"swamprun" skrev

Is it possible I have some version of SRAM which is incompatible
with the Shimano triple front derailleur ?

If the shifter has a number... 5.0 etc its incompatible.
If it has a name like Centera, Attack etc. it should be
Shimano compatible.

Mikael

Old October 25th 03, 10:54 PM
bentbiker

I am not sre that is correct. granted any sram with a number on it is
only compatible with a sram REAR derailleur, but it should work with
that shimano 105 front derailleur. hang on, somebody like "lowracer"
will clear it up, or post it to the technical section on BROL, but I do
think it should work, mine is.

Old October 25th 03, 10:59 PM
Mikael Seierup

"bentbiker" skrev i en meddelelse
I am not sre that is correct. granted any sram with a number on it is
only compatible with a sram REAR derailleur, but it should work with
that shimano 105 front derailleur. hang on, somebody like "lowracer"
will clear it up, or post it to the technical section on BROL, but I do
think it should work, mine is.

Right. I was thinking rear der.
Dunno about front then.

M.

Old October 26th 03, 12:27 AM
swamprun

I took off the bike, and now I can easily measure the cable travel.
1/2 inch between numbers 1 and 2, and 3/8 inch between 2 and 3.
That's a total of 7/8 cable take up between the small and large
chainring. That seems like too much.

Will try to post the same to the BROL tech board.