Victorian Cycling Clubs: which one to join?

Old March 23rd 04, 12:47 AM
VAF

Default Victorian Cycling Clubs: which one to join?

I am a 25yr old male living in the Heidelberg area and I have been road
cycling for about 18 months. I am looking to take the next step up from
predominantly weekend rides. I mostly ride Beach road to either Black Rock
or Mordialloc, but have done a few rides out to Kangaroo Ground/Warrandyte
aswell as last year's Around the Bay and a couple of trips on Kew boulevard.
I think I am not a bad cyclist, as I manage to keep up with most of the
bunches I join and manage to average speeds in the high 20s on most rides. I
lost 10kgs and am enjoying hilly rides out Templestowe way and Monsalvat. I
started riding with a group of guys who used to do Crits, however they now
have young kids and are lucky to get out with me once a month. Riding on you
own is relaxing, but I enjoy group rides better.

Any suggestions of what club to join? I have read about Crits on Kew
Boulevard, and races on the weekends. I would love to get involved in those
sorts of things, but particularly want to get into a regular training
routine as I get out on my own maybe once or twice during the week and would
like to have atleast two or three regular training rides during the week and
a weekend hitout.

All suggestions are welcome. I would prefer something local -
Ivanhoe/Heidelberg area.

VAF

Old March 23rd 04, 01:15 AM
cfsmtb

Check here on the Vic Cycle Sport website:
http://www.vic.cycling.org.au/Clubs/clublinks.htm

Maybe Hawthorn, Coburg or even Brunswick

-

Old March 23rd 04, 07:02 AM
VAF

I have checked out the three you mention... there is a big price difference
between the clubs. Hawthorn looks like the cheapest, Coburg seems to offer
the most, and the Brunswick site is outdated so I am not sure what to make
of it.

Just wondering, if I am a member of one club can I compete in races at other
clubs? Does that happen? I realise that by joining the better club I get the
better facilities, so what club has the best facilities. I have never had
any training, so some form of training would be very handy.

I have also never done any track racing, and am looking for thoughts on it.
I've always been interested in track, but I can't afford to buy a track
bike. Can you use a road bike on the track? I am guessing you can but would
be at a disadvantage. I have a good bike, aluminium with Chorus and Spinergy
wheels - is it track usable?

Cheers

.. .

Old March 23rd 04, 08:56 AM
Geoff

"cfsmtb" wrote in message
.. .
Check here on the Vic Cycle Sport website:
http://www.vic.cycling.org.au/Clubs/clublinks.htm

Maybe Hawthorn, Coburg or even Brunswick?

Don't forget Northcote CC. This is probably the closest club to where VAF
lives. Although they are temporarily trackless and without a website they
do still exist. They are part of, and race with, the northern combine
clubs.

Just another option to look at.
Geoff
-SKCC Member (who lives in South Morang, trains for Track at Coburg, races
track wherever and races the road with both Northern and SE combine clubs)

Old March 23rd 04, 09:28 AM
K&C Russell

"VAF" wrote in message
[...]

Hi,

I live in Macleod and I joined Coburg because they were of good size club,
offering plenty of cycling and they have a good club jersey.

I have not got into Track but I am sure if you wander down and talk to the
guys (Thu) they could chase up a bike for you.

The Clubs you mention race in the Northern Combine with most races around
Romsey, Lancefield etc As a member of one of the clubs you can join in.

If you want some weekend work you could always try the bunch leaving the
Bundoora Hotel on Sunday mornings at 7:30am for a ride thru Whittlesea (some
turn back here) on to Kinglake West via the Humevale Rd returning to
Whittlesea via the main road and back to Bundoora.

Kevin

Old March 23rd 04, 09:36 AM
Geoff

"VAF" wrote in message
what is SKCC?

St Kilda Cycling Club
www.skcc.com.au

Old March 23rd 04, 08:45 PM
flyingdutch

wrote:
I joined Coburg because ... ... they have a good club jersey.

LOL

Old March 23rd 04, 11:45 PM
Shabby

Vaf wrote:
[...]

I wouldn't judge a club entirely on it's website, clubs are run b
volunteers so if the club has someone with IT skills the website i
going to be good. Brunswick has much more presence in open races tha
Coburg or Northcote. Also, don;t look at the cost as a factor, or you'l
just be a silent member becasue you're not really part of the club

Track bikes have no brakes and one fixed gear, plus you can't have quic
releases on your wheels. If you're intertested in track, find a clu
which has a track and has club bikes for hire, so you can figure ou
whether it is for you

-

Old March 24th 04, 12:01 AM
jazmo

Shabby wrote:
.........plus you can't have quick releases on your wheels.

I had no idea that was the case

-