Test rode a bike - LOVED IT - but need quick question answered

Old March 26th 04, 12:51 AM
Lobo Tommy

Default Test rode a bike - LOVED IT - but need quick question answered

This evening I test rode a Bianchi SASS. It was a pure slice a
heaven! And it was SOOOO light...

However my deal is the bike shop didn't have my proper size in - they
only had a 15.5. The other sizes are 17.5, 19.5, and 21.5. The bike
shops salesperson told me that if I ordered one that I would want one
in 17.5. However someone here mentioned (I can't find their name)
that I would want 19.5 instead. Can anyone back up either person?
Which size should I go with?

As for the bike I am in lust. Yes it's expensive... But it is so
cool! And the single speed wore out my legs in no time - which is a
GOOD thing in situation. I am pretty much given up on the Redline
Mono Cog. I've heard too many horror stories of poor quality to even
risk it.
Old March 26th 04, 01:38 AM
David L. Johnson

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 16:51:03 -0800, Lobo Tommy wrote:

This evening I test rode a Bianchi SASS. It was a pure slice a
heaven! And it was SOOOO light...

However my deal is the bike shop didn't have my proper size in - they
only had a 15.5. The other sizes are 17.5, 19.5, and 21.5. The bike
shops salesperson told me that if I ordered one that I would want one
in 17.5. However someone here mentioned (I can't find their name)
that I would want 19.5 instead. Can anyone back up either person?
Which size should I go with?

How can we know? It really depends on your size, you know. How does it
fit you? As the seattube length (what the nominal size is) changes, so do
the lengths of other tubes, such as the top tube (and thus the distance to
the handlebars). If the 15.5 feels so good to you, why is it not the
proper size?* By how much is it not? Think about what it would be with a
longer reach as well as longer seat tube. The bars would be higher as
well. You have to decide what is best.

How much did the salesman go through before he decided you needed the
17.5? Did you ride a different bike in that size? Are you going into
this completely blind, listening to random recommendations rather than
getting properly fit for your body?

--

David L. Johnson

__o | "Business!" cried the Ghost. "Mankind was my business. The common
_`\(,_ | welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and
(_)/ (_) | benevolence, were, all, my business. The dealings of my trade
were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my
business!" --Dickens, "A Christmas Carol"
Old March 26th 04, 02:36 AM
Chris

"Lobo Tommy" wrote in message
m...
This evening I test rode a Bianchi SASS. It was a pure slice a
heaven! And it was SOOOO light...

However my deal is the bike shop didn't have my proper size in - they
only had a 15.5. The other sizes are 17.5, 19.5, and 21.5. The bike
shops salesperson told me that if I ordered one that I would want one
in 17.5. However someone here mentioned (I can't find their name)
that I would want 19.5 instead. Can anyone back up either person?
Which size should I go with?

Why not compare it to other Bianchi hardtails in a fifteen-five and a
seventeen-five. Check the stem lengths are the same for precision, and go
to the Bianchi site to see if single-speed geometry is the same as geared
hardtails.

If you want to just jump in, it's better to err on the side of the smaller
bike.

Chris

Old March 26th 04, 06:06 AM
Steven M. Scharf

"Lobo Tommy" wrote in message
m...
This evening I test rode a Bianchi SASS. It was a pure slice a
heaven! And it was SOOOO light...

However my deal is the bike shop didn't have my proper size in - they
only had a 15.5. The other sizes are 17.5, 19.5, and 21.5. The bike
shops salesperson told me that if I ordered one that I would want one
in 17.5. However someone here mentioned (I can't find their name)
that I would want 19.5 instead. Can anyone back up either person?
Which size should I go with?

Two questions. What is your inseam, and are you going to be doing hard core
mountain biking? 17.5" is quite small, assuming that your inseam is about
32". If you're mainly doing road riding, then 19.5" is probably a better
choice.

Old March 26th 04, 01:37 PM
Lobo Tommy

"Steven M. Scharf" wrote in message ink.net...
"Lobo Tommy" wrote in message
m...
This evening I test rode a Bianchi SASS. It was a pure slice a
heaven! And it was SOOOO light...

However my deal is the bike shop didn't have my proper size in - they
only had a 15.5. The other sizes are 17.5, 19.5, and 21.5. The bike
shops salesperson told me that if I ordered one that I would want one
in 17.5. However someone here mentioned (I can't find their name)
that I would want 19.5 instead. Can anyone back up either person?
Which size should I go with?

Two questions. What is your inseam, and are you going to be doing hard core
mountain biking? 17.5" is quite small, assuming that your inseam is about
32". If you're mainly doing road riding, then 19.5" is probably a better
choice.

My inseam is 32"
Old March 26th 04, 02:45 PM
bomba

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 05:37:38 -0800, Lobo Tommy wrote:

My inseam is 32"

Provided you're not some sort of ape, I'd go with the 17.5".

--
a.m-b FAQ: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/ambfaq.htm

a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

Old March 26th 04, 04:09 PM
Steven M. Scharf

"bomba" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 05:37:38 -0800, Lobo Tommy wrote:

My inseam is 32"

Provided you're not some sort of ape, I'd go with the 17.5".

Depends on the kind of riding he's doing.

For mountain biking, 17.5" is about right, though still a bit small, but
19.5" is too large, 18.5" would be better.
For road riding 19.5" is about right.

On a touring bike, he'd be on a 58cm/23" frame.
On a road bike, he'd be on a 55cm/22" frame.
On a commute/hybrid, he'd be on a 53cm/21" frame.
19.5" is about right for mainly road/occasional off-road.

Of course the usual caveats about the differences between manufacturers, and
how they size their frames, apply. But bike shops always seem to try to sell
you bikes that are too small.

There is an excellent article about sizing at:
http://rivbike.com/html/bikes_framesize.html

Old March 26th 04, 05:03 PM
Pat

On a touring bike, he'd be on a 58cm/23" frame.
On a road bike, he'd be on a 55cm/22" frame.
On a commute/hybrid, he'd be on a 53cm/21" frame.
19.5" is about right for mainly road/occasional off-road.

Of course the usual caveats about the differences between manufacturers,

and
how they size their frames, apply. But bike shops always seem to try to

sell
you bikes that are too small.

Your comments are interesting. In 1984 I was told by the bike shop that the
Schwinn touring bike I wanted was perfect for me in the 23" size. I, too,
have a 32" inseam. When I would stop, I had to lean the bike over to the
side in order to put one foot on the ground. But, the ride was excellent,
and I rode all over Germany without any back/neck/shoulder pains.

Then, I come to the States and the LBS says I need a 55 cm frame on my road
bike. The main difference seems to me to be that I no longer have to tilt
it when I stop. There are other differences such as this Bianchi Veloce
feels like I am riding a mosquito whereas the old Schwinn moved about much
like a tractor trailer. But neither one of them causes any muscular pain
anywhere. Well, at least now I don't have to feel as if I was taken
advantage of by the LBS in 1984....

Pat in TX

Old March 26th 04, 07:18 PM
Carla A-G

"Lobo Tommy" wrote in message
m...
This evening I test rode a Bianchi SASS. It was a pure slice a
heaven! And it was SOOOO light...

No kidding...

However my deal is the bike shop didn't have my proper size in - they
only had a 15.5. The other sizes are 17.5, 19.5, and 21.5. The bike
shops salesperson told me that if I ordered one that I would want one
in 17.5. However someone here mentioned (I can't find their name)
that I would want 19.5 instead. Can anyone back up either person?
Which size should I go with?

Bianchi has the tendency of having shorter top tubes compared to other
bikes. I think Jim's inseam is about the same as yours and he rides a 19.5"
and it fits him perfect. I ride a pre-production SASS in miniature sizing
for my small body.

As for the bike I am in lust. Yes it's expensive... But it is so
cool! And the single speed wore out my legs in no time - which is a
GOOD thing in situation. I am pretty much given up on the Redline
Mono Cog. I've heard too many horror stories of poor quality to even
risk it.

No, its not expensive, actually. Its good value for the money, IMO. Good
quality frame, quality components, a great bike.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Old March 26th 04, 10:33 PM
Lobo Tommy

"Carla A-G" wrote in message ...
"Lobo Tommy" wrote in message
m...

Bianchi has the tendency of having shorter top tubes compared to other
bikes. I think Jim's inseam is about the same as yours and he rides a 19.5"
and it fits him perfect. I ride a pre-production SASS in miniature sizing
for my small body.

Before the bicycle is ordered I am going to have them dig up some
bicycles that are close in frame geometry for 17.5 and 19.5 just to
make absolutely sure that 17.5 is the correct size. The problem is
the SASS (and all single speed bikes for that matter) are treated as
specialty bikes (at least locally) so they don't have one of every
size in stock - sometimes they are lucky to have any.

So suffice it to say one is not getting ordered until I am absolutely
sure the size is correct. It's not like the bike dealer tried to
steer me towards the 15.5, it's all they had - and they admitted that
it would not fit so I don't think they would steer me wrong and put me
on a bike that isn't right.