Really old bike, new v-brakes too far apart

Old February 27th 05, 11:30 PM
(Pete Cresswell)

Default Really old bike, new v-brakes too far apart

They're so far apart that the springs that separate pads from wheel can't do
their job. Adjustment screws are maxed out.

Utility/errand bike - no big thing....but if there's an easy solution....

http://tinyurl.com/5yzxr
--
PeteCresswell
Old February 27th 05, 11:55 PM

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:
They're so far apart that the springs that separate pads from wheel

can't do
their job. Adjustment screws are maxed out.

Utility/errand bike - no big thing....but if there's an easy

solution....

http://tinyurl.com/5yzxr

Did you remove the springs from their holding pin on the brake arm and
bend them farther apart by hand?

Old February 28th 05, 12:13 AM

Add a few brake spacers and make sure your using V brake
levers. You do the job or your LBS?

Old February 28th 05, 02:04 AM
tcmedara

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:
They're so far apart that the springs that separate pads from wheel
can't do their job. Adjustment screws are maxed out.

Utility/errand bike - no big thing....but if there's an easy
solution....

http://tinyurl.com/5yzxr

Take a look at the brake post. There are usually three little holes that
the end of the return spring sits in. This allows the arms to be set at
varying distances apart, usually to account for wide or narrow rims. I
suspect that might be the problem. That's what it looks like to me on the
picture anyway. Try shifting them to the next closer hole. You will have
to re-adjust the shoe alignment and cable pull.

Tom

Old February 28th 05, 03:17 AM
(Pete Cresswell)

Per tcmedara:
There are usually three little holes that
the end of the return spring sits in.

Not on this antique.

I guess bending the springs is the only remedy.
--
PeteCresswell
Old February 28th 05, 03:56 AM
S o r n i

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:
Per tcmedara:
There are usually three little holes that
the end of the return spring sits in.

Not on this antique.

I guess bending the springs is the only remedy.

Wait a second. Have you tried rearranging the washers/spacers? Someone
showed me once how their orientation affects brake arm/pad placement; worth
a try before bending stuff

Bill "just take note of how they're on there now" S.

Old February 28th 05, 04:11 AM
tcmedara

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:
Per tcmedara:
There are usually three little holes that
the end of the return spring sits in.

Not on this antique.

I guess bending the springs is the only remedy.

I understand you OP mentioned problems with the return springs. Do the
brakes work fine except for the return, i.e. pad to rim distance, cable
pull, etc?
Maybe I don't grasp the problem. Is it that the arms are too far apart to
get the pads against the rim, or is it that you can't get them far enough
apart to get space between the pad and the rim?

Tom

Old February 28th 05, 06:17 AM
Mr_Kingkillaha

(Pete Cresswell) Wrote:
They're so far apart that the springs that separate pads from wheel
can't do
their job. Adjustment screws are maxed out.

Utility/errand bike - no big thing....but if there's an easy
solution....

http://tinyurl.com/5yzxr
--
PeteCresswell

If you had some brakes without the parallel push mechanism it would fit
alot better.

--
Mr_Kingkillaha

Old February 28th 05, 07:34 AM
(Pete Cresswell)

Per tcmedara:
Maybe I don't grasp the problem. Is it that the arms are too far apart to
get the pads against the rim, or is it that you can't get them far enough
apart to get space between the pad and the rim?

"Problem" might be too strong a word. But the arms are kind of far apart - far
enough so that the return springs don't do their job.

Nothing I'd go too far to fix - but if it turned out I was just doing something
dumb (like the three-hole option metioned earlier - that this fork lacks)...
--
PeteCresswell

if you wanted maximum braking, where would you sit? wle Techniques 133 November 18th 15 03:10 AM
Bike rack [email protected] General 9 April 22nd 05 02:50 AM
Still Looking for a bike [email protected] UK 19 September 5th 04 10:25 AM
Duct Tape reduces vibration! Wayne Pein Techniques 22 April 29th 04 11:35 PM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM