Really old bike, new v-brakes too far apart

Old February 28th 05, 02:03 PM
Michael Dart

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:
They're so far apart that the springs that separate pads from wheel
can't do their job. Adjustment screws are maxed out.

Utility/errand bike - no big thing....but if there's an easy
solution....

http://tinyurl.com/5yzxr

I can't see the pad mounting washer arrangement in the pic. Make sure you
have the thinner washer on the wheel side of the brake arm.

If that's not it the fork legs are too close and you'll have to go back to
good 'ol center pull canti's.

Mike

Old March 1st 05, 12:09 AM

The little tit should be in the middle hole.

Old March 1st 05, 01:44 AM
S o r n i

The little tit should be in the middle hole.

T'was ever thus.

Old March 1st 05, 10:46 PM

Maybe you should let a pro look at it. I've set up
many V brakes and only 1 set of disc. Even set up an old Schwinn
era 89 with no problem I set and up keep you could call a fleet of bikes
7 all total.

Old March 3rd 05, 08:19 AM
gazzer

"(Pete Cresswell)" wrote in message . ..
They're so far apart that the springs that separate pads from wheel can't do
their job. Adjustment screws are maxed out.

Utility/errand bike - no big thing....but if there's an easy solution....

http://tinyurl.com/5yzxr

brakes are for poofters
Old March 3rd 05, 07:17 PM
(Pete Cresswell)

Per Shaun a
Have you put the thin spacer on the inside? There's two different
thicknesses, so they can be spaced wider, or closer by flipping them over.

Yes. Now that somebody broached the issue, I measured the width of this antique
fork. It's almost 2cm narrower than the 'zocchi on my FS. Seems to me like
that's got to be the root cause....the fork is just out of range for the brakes.

Actually the brakes still work acceptably without the return springs doing their
job....after all, it's just an errand bike...
--
PeteCresswell
Old March 7th 05, 04:22 PM
Shaun aRe

"(Pete Cresswell)" wrote in message
Per Shaun a
Have you put the thin spacer on the inside? There's two different
thicknesses, so they can be spaced wider, or closer by flipping them

over.

Yes. Now that somebody broached the issue, I measured the width of this

antique
fork. It's almost 2cm narrower than the 'zocchi on my FS. Seems to me

like
that's got to be the root cause....the fork is just out of range for the

brakes.

Actually the brakes still work acceptably without the return springs doing

their
job....after all, it's just an errand bike...

Then why TF all the fuss?!?!? Heheheheh... ',;~}~

Shaun aRe

Old March 7th 05, 10:56 PM
(Pete Cresswell)

Per Shaun a
Then why TF all the fuss?!?!? Heheheheh... ',;~}~

Too much coffee, not enough warm weather....and probably a little crazy
anyhow...
--
PeteCresswell
Old March 8th 05, 09:30 AM
Shaun aRe

"(Pete Cresswell)" wrote in message
Per Shaun a
Then why TF all the fuss?!?!? Heheheheh... ',;~}~

Too much coffee, not enough warm weather....and probably a little crazy
anyhow...

Oh I see - you should have just said so ',;~}~

Shaun aRe

if you wanted maximum braking, where would you sit? wle Techniques 133 November 18th 15 03:10 AM
Bike rack [email protected] General 9 April 22nd 05 02:50 AM
Still Looking for a bike [email protected] UK 19 September 5th 04 10:25 AM
Duct Tape reduces vibration! Wayne Pein Techniques 22 April 29th 04 11:35 PM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM