Remote Lockout Front Shocks: Are we there yet?

Old April 3rd 05, 07:46 PM
(Pete Cresswell)

Default Remote Lockout Front Shocks: Are we there yet?

I've got a 'zoc Pro/Eta right now and I actually do find the sort-of lockout
useful on long climbs.

But there's a PITA factor in forgetting to unlock it at the crest of the hill
and then wondering why the bike doesn't feel right going down the other side.
"Just reach down...." sure, but it would be a lot nicer to have a thumb switch
on the bars.

I think I could also go for a total lockout at full fork extension instead of
just dropping the fork down an inch and making it a little stiffer.

Seems like the industry is in more rapid change than usual in this area.
Starting with the Manitou black that could be adjusted but had the adjuster at
the bottom of the stanction to my zoc, which adjusts at the top but doesnt lock
out all the way, to the several offerings I see now with remote adjustment and
all kinds of claims.... seems like everybody's scrambling to get on the
bandwagon right now.

So, bottom line, are there any fully-adjustable/remote-adjustable shocks out
there yet that work, don't fail if locked out too often, whose seals don't fail
too often, and which the user can service without special tools?
--
PeteCresswell
Old April 3rd 05, 07:51 PM
NeXuS

"(Pete Cresswell)" wrote in message
[...]

Didn't Cannondale have those computer lock-out thingys? If I remember
correctly, it'd work on both the front and back shocks.

Old April 4th 05, 11:52 AM
Coyoteboy

yeah. but they had all sorts of issues with water/vibration killing
them. Personally i used to forget to unlock my rear shock until I blew
the seals on it because I did a 3 foot drop with it locked, the cost of
getting a new shock is an amazing motivator in remembering to do things

Old April 4th 05, 06:23 PM
NeXuS

"Coyoteboy" wrote in message
oups.com...
yeah. but they had all sorts of issues with water/vibration killing
them. Personally i used to forget to unlock my rear shock until I blew
the seals on it because I did a 3 foot drop with it locked, the cost of
getting a new shock is an amazing motivator in remembering to do things

That lot I never heard about. As for that drop.... OUCH!

Old April 5th 05, 11:13 AM
Coyoteboy

The 'loads' of issues are probably vastly exaggerated, as with most
product shortcomings, by people like me saying 'i hear they are useless
cos....' I should learn to phrase things better lol.

In second answer to the top comment, it shouldnt be hard at all for a
manufacturer to come up with a remote lockout, but its how many people
want it? I know i dont, but i know some would - they've probably asked
about a bit and found that although it annoys the hell out of some
people, most dont really care.

Old April 5th 05, 12:20 PM
Shaun aRe

"Coyoteboy" wrote in message
oups.com...
The 'loads' of issues are probably vastly exaggerated, as with most
product shortcomings, by people like me saying 'i hear they are useless
cos....' I should learn to phrase things better lol.

In second answer to the top comment, it shouldnt be hard at all for a
manufacturer to come up with a remote lockout, but its how many people
want it? I know i dont, but i know some would - they've probably asked
about a bit and found that although it annoys the hell out of some
people, most dont really care.

Surely it's an easy set-up to make for oneself? Most at least, of all the
lock-outs I've seen have just been little levers on the fork tops, similar
on rear shocks - how hard to attach a cable stop to for leg, cable end to
lever end, and an old friction thumb shifter to the bars to do this?

Shaun 'improvise' aRe

Old April 6th 05, 12:10 AM
(Pete Cresswell)

Per Shaun a
Surely it's an easy set-up to make for oneself? Most at least, of all the
lock-outs I've seen have just been little levers on the fork tops, similar
on rear shocks - how hard to attach a cable stop to for leg, cable end to
lever end, and an old friction thumb shifter to the bars to do this?

It's being done done now. Reba, for one.
--
PeteCresswell
Old April 6th 05, 04:00 PM
Shaun aRe

"(Pete Cresswell)" wrote in message
Per Shaun a
Surely it's an easy set-up to make for oneself? Most at least, of all the
lock-outs I've seen have just been little levers on the fork tops,

similar
on rear shocks - how hard to attach a cable stop to for leg, cable end to
lever end, and an old friction thumb shifter to the bars to do this?

It's being done done now. Reba, for one.

There ya go then, see? - WTF was all the fuss about then eh? ',;~}~

Shaun aRe

Old April 6th 05, 07:11 PM
Tim

In article , Shaun aRe wrote:

"Coyoteboy" wrote in message
oups.com...
The 'loads' of issues are probably vastly exaggerated, as with most
product shortcomings, by people like me saying 'i hear they are useless
cos....' I should learn to phrase things better lol.

In second answer to the top comment, it shouldnt be hard at all for a
manufacturer to come up with a remote lockout, but its how many people
want it? I know i dont, but i know some would - they've probably asked
about a bit and found that although it annoys the hell out of some
people, most dont really care.

Surely it's an easy set-up to make for oneself? Most at least, of all the
lock-outs I've seen have just been little levers on the fork tops, similar
on rear shocks - how hard to attach a cable stop to for leg, cable end to
lever end, and an old friction thumb shifter to the bars to do this?

Shaun 'improvise' aRe

The remote lockout for my forks (Pace RC36) is sort of like
that- a little thumb lever on the bars. I've found it very handy to be
able to flick the lockout on & off with both hands on the bars rather
than groping for the tops of the legs while riding.

https://www.pacecycles.com/product.asp?catID=2&subcat=3 and if
anyvody's interested their sale page has them for £299.
--
Tim.
Old April 8th 05, 10:59 AM
Shaun aRe

[...]