Easy question about technical clothing (MORE THOUGHTS)

Old April 5th 05, 06:18 AM

Default Easy question about technical clothing (MORE THOUGHTS)

First of all, thanks to all who replied to my note below.

However, it seems, for the most part, that my initial question still hasn't been answered.
Most of us agree that "cotton kills" (as the saying goes) because it holds your sweat close to the skin,
which in turn evaporates, which in turn cools you down.

If I'm running a LONG race, in the heat of the summer sun, I sweat a lot. And if I happen to be
wearing a cotton T-shirt that day, it will soak up (and hold) the sweat BUT at least it will keep me cool
as I am running. And by staying cool, I am able to run longer.

If I switch to a synth fibre, I notice that the shirt works as designed (it wicks my sweat off my skin)
but so what? At that point, what (if anything) is going to cool me down? The sweat is now evaporating off
my shirt, and not off my skin. I might end up with a cool shirt, but my body underneath is still producing
sweat in order to cool itself off.

Am I missing something? What is the main advantage of wearing a wicking fabric?
Because it feels good? Too keep you warm? To keep you cool?

Please be the first to set this record straight for me :-)

Much appreciated, and thanks in advance.

___________________

At the risk of sounding like an extreme newbie:

Can someone please tell me the advantages of wearing "technical clothing" (polypro and moisture-wicking fabrics) when performing intense physical activity?

It is my understanding that the human body sweats to cool itself down (the sweat on the surface of our skin evaporates and cools us down). If I am running a race in the heat of summer, why would I *NOT* want to wear a fabric such as cotton? Cotton retains water, which will hold my sweat close to my body, cooling me down.

By using wicking fabrics, aren't we essentially moving the sweat off of our skin? How exactly is this supposed to cool down the body?

Cotton is sometimes described as "dangerous" and "lethal" to wear in survival situations, because of the hypothermic effect it has on the body. But isn't this EXACTLY what I want when my body's overheating?

I prefer the reply be sent to my email address ), but I will also check on UseNet for the reply.

Thanks in advance to all who reply!!

Old April 5th 05, 04:51 PM
small change

Am I missing something? What is the main advantage of wearing a
wicking fabric? Because it feels good? Too keep you warm? To keep you
cool?

Westie made a good point that cotton acts like a sponge, which can be good
or bad depending on the situation. I think it's bad most of the time.

There are many many different wicking synthetics, and they all perform
differently. For example, coolmax tends towards damp and clammy, while
coolmax alta feels dry and cool. Some retain odors, some do not. Sure,
keeping track of all the technical performance data is enough to make anyone
nuts. There is a certain amount of personal preference that comes into
play. What works well and feels good for me may not work for you.

Improved comfort while exercising is the main reason to look at performance
fabrics IMO. I'd rather be cool and dry than warm and sticky.

Depending on your sport, you can talk to others that do the same thing as
you do, and see what works for them.

Penny S

--
Specialty Outdoors
Modification & Repair of Outdoor Gear & Clothing

Old April 6th 05, 05:54 AM
Will Dearborn

"If I switch to a synth fibre, I notice that the shirt works as
designed (it wicks my sweat off my skin)
but so what? At that point, what (if anything) is going to cool me
down? The sweat is now evaporating off
my shirt, and not off my skin. I might end up with a cool shirt, but my
body underneath is still producing
sweat in order to cool itself off. " - racer

You have been getting alot of opinions (which are correct) but I think
this is the answer you want.
It is all about thermal transfer. Why does evaporating sweat make you
cooler? Because the heat leaves your body with the evaporating sweat.
Therefore, wicking the sweat through a shirt performs the same action
as sweat evaporating. The water, which retains your body heat is
removed from your skin (cooling you down), and then evaporates into the
open air.

Cotton holds the sweat (and heat) against your body, while the sweat on
the outside of the shirt evaporates, leaving hot sweat still in contact
with your skin. The fact that you don't dry off shows that the water
in mass quantities is evaporating much slower and retaining body heat
longer.

"Cotton is sometimes described as "dangerous" and "lethal" to wear in
survival situations, because of the hypothermic effect it has on the
body. But isn't this EXACTLY what I want when my body's overheating?" -
racer

No, because of water's ability to hold (or resist) thermal energy. In
this situation, where you are covered in damp cotton and freezing, your
body will cool to the temperature of the water. Skin does not resist
thermal change like water does (your body temp lowers to equal water
temp. instead of heating water to equal body temp).
Inversely, the hot sweat held against your skin (heated by the sun
also) will raise your body temp to equal water temp (unless evaporated,
see above).
In the

Old April 6th 05, 11:42 AM
dabac

...Can someone please tell me the advantages of wearing "technical
clothing" (polypro and moisture-wicking fabrics) when performing
intense physical activity?

If I know (with a reasonable certainty) that I will be able keep
generating heat for the whole duration of an event, then I still use
cotton on occasion. if I always have warmth to spare the choice of
clothes becomes much less important. But I much prefer the wicking
stuff because it doesn't stick to your body in the same clammy adhesive
way that soaked cotton has.
However, if I suspect that I some time during the event will run the
risk of getting cooled off, then the wicking stuff has great
advantages. A fair-sized descent is all that it takes to turn a cotton
tee into something really uncomfortable.

I can't say that I've noted anything negative about tech clothing
except maybe being somewhat less resistant to abrasion and , of course,
sparks.

--
dabac

easy money in 30 days trip Unicycling 0 March 11th 05 04:20 AM
Technical seat position question curt General 8 May 10th 04 10:49 PM
Technical drawings of unicycle? Klaas Bil Unicycling 10 April 9th 04 12:37 PM
Question about cycling clothing Dre General 6 March 22nd 04 07:37 AM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM