Mt. Washington BC

Old August 28th 05, 09:55 AM
nrkist

Default Mt. Washington BC

Ok so i've been in seattle for the summer and only recently returned to
my home, and a reliable internet connection, on salt Spring Island BC,
recently and me and some 2-wheeler pals went up to the local mountain,
well more local than whistler, Mt. Washington. i had heard from several
people that Mt. Washington was very open to Unicyclists Riding down its
majestic Slopes. however upon purchasing a lift ticket, blazing through
the slalom course to the lift i was informed Unicycles were not allowed
on the mountain. when i enquired with the summer manager he informed me
that unicycles are too hard to control because they do not have brakes!
needless to say he was not a unicyclist. I dont know what needs to be
done to change this policy but i would like to petition anyone reading
this post to write a nasty (or at least informative) email to Mt.
Washington through the use of their Inquiry form that can be found at
'this address' (http://www.mountwashington.ca/company/contact.cfm) .
They need to understand that if you are going fast enough on a unicycle
to need brakes to stop yourself, the speed wobble would kill you (see
the espn coverage of Unicon XII Muni competition if you haven't
experienced this for yourself). I will be mounting brakes on my newly
acquired (and for a hundred dollars less!) Onza 24" muni purely, well
maybe not purely, for the sake of being able to tell them to take their
rule and....well you know the drill. any help in this matter would be
greatly appreciated and would help advance the sport of Muni so i can
stop answering the stupid questions asking if i can actually ride down
the mountain bike trails!

--
nrkist - The Trail is my Mistress

"The trail is my mistress, but you can be my girlfriend on the side"

"And there goes the nut, and the nuts and NOOO not the NUTS!! calm down
they were only salted not the honey roasted ones"
nrkist's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9895

Old August 28th 05, 02:42 PM
joemarshall

Why not just put some brakes on. If you're riding ski descents, your
legs will thank you anyway.

Joe

--
joemarshall - dumb blonde

my pics http://gallery.unicyclist.com/album483

Old August 28th 05, 02:46 PM
GizmoDuck

nrkist wrote:
*

They need to understand that if you are going fast enough on a
unicycle to need brakes to stop yourself, the speed wobble would kill
you (see the espn coverage of Unicon XII Muni competition if you
haven't experienced this for yourself). *

I rode the downhill at Unicon XII on a Coker with no brakes and don't
recall being killed or having any speed wobbles

--
GizmoDuck - NZUNI

o-kO
'www.adventureunicyclist.com' (http://www.adventureunicyclist.com/) -
check out my new and improved website
'Laos Unicycle Tour' (http://www.laosunitour.org)
'New Zealand Unicycle Federation' (http://www.unicycle.org.nz)

Old August 28th 05, 08:23 PM
nrkist

i was talking about one of the people pictured in the front of the pack
whos wheel is practically going horizontal back and forth. And yes
brakes are going to be helpful but you shouldn't be required to have
them to go down the runs.

Old August 28th 05, 11:21 PM
GizmoDuck

Yeah, I'd sure like to see that on Video. Anyone have a copy of the
ESPN coverage?

From my viewpoint it was quite funny. People started peddling their 24"
MUnis furiously off the line and I watched one by one as they all
tumbled over in front of me. I would have found a brake useful but I
don't think it was absolutely necessary. Something to be said for
having a big wheel that rolls over stuff.