SYD: bicycles on the Old Road

Old February 28th 06, 02:48 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default SYD: bicycles on the Old Road

In aus.bicycle on Tue, 28 Feb 2006 11:25:58 +1100
ritcho wrote:
judgement. Nevertheless ,the Old Pac. Hwy is still a public road with a
reduced speed limit for a reason, and it isn't because bicycles use it.
It's because too many wannabe car and moto racers hurled themselves
into trees, rockfaces and each other.

Were those bods going at the previous speed limit? Or were they
riding above that limit?

Zebee
Old February 28th 06, 06:30 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Zebee Johnstone wrote:

Were those bods going at the previous speed limit? Or were they
riding above that limit?

I can safely bet my last breath that they would have been above it. Goof
balls somehow manage to collide with trees on straight sections of road
and the poor trees get blamed for causing their death.

It really is a pity that police estimates of speed before the accident
are not made public as routine.

If you drove the old Pacific Highway at the old limits, including curve
advisories there was exceedingly little chance of you having an accident
that was caused by yourself. Occassionally you did need to drive lower
because the prevailing conditions required it, e.g. Morning/late night
fog over Mooney bridge was always a good one.
Old February 28th 06, 06:49 AM posted to aus.bicycle

On 2006-02-28, Terry Collins (aka Bruce)
Zebee Johnstone wrote:

Were those bods going at the previous speed limit? Or were they
riding above that limit?

I can safely bet my last breath that they would have been above it. Goof
balls somehow manage to collide with trees on straight sections of road
and the poor trees get blamed for causing their death.

Don't worry. They've solved that problem. Signs with "trees close to
road"

--
TimC
Some witty text here,
Old February 28th 06, 06:52 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default bicycles on the Old Road

Peter Signorini wrote:

I hurl volumes of silent abuse, and thank God I never took up
such a socially obnoxious pursuit as motorbiking.

Get my drift?

Yes Peter, I do. Do you really think all motorcyclists are socially
obnoxious? I don't believe I am, I don't believe Zebee is, or Bleve. Do you
think I become non-obnoxious when I get on one of my bicycles?

Theo

Old February 28th 06, 07:27 AM posted to aus.bicycle

In article ,
"Theo Bekkers" wrote:

Do you
think I become non-obnoxious when I get on one of my bicycles?

Theo sticks out chin...

;-)

--
Shane Stanley
Old February 28th 06, 08:03 AM posted to aus.bicycle

In aus.bicycle on Tue, 28 Feb 2006 16:30:17 +1100
Terry Collins wrote:
Zebee Johnstone wrote:

Were those bods going at the previous speed limit? Or were they
riding above that limit?

I can safely bet my last breath that they would have been above it. Goof
balls somehow manage to collide with trees on straight sections of road
and the poor trees get blamed for causing their death.

It is quite likely that they were doing Very Silly Speeds.

Although not all of them - I have come adrift on the Old Road, and I
was doing under the limit. And not particularly hooning which is
damned annoying!

However, if most of them were doing well over the limit, then what
does dropping said limit gain anyone? Isn't going to stop the idiots
who were breaking the law before.

Zebee
Old February 28th 06, 11:40 AM posted to aus.bicycle

"Theo Bekkers" wrote:
Peter Signorini wrote:

I hurl volumes of silent abuse, and thank God I never took up
such a socially obnoxious pursuit as motorbiking.

Get my drift?

Yes Peter, I do. Do you really think all motorcyclists are socially
obnoxious?

No reflection on you personally Zebee, I'm sure you're a responsible rider,
but any who behave as I described certainly are socially obnoxoius. On the
Reefton Spur Rd on a typical Sunday that's an awful lot of them.

Yes the behaviour of a few may be colouring my opinion, but those few behave
damn dangerously towards me on the roads. Go up the Reefton Spur one day -
you'll see frequent little memorial crosses and flowers on the roadside to
ex-motorcyclists.

Cheers
Peter

Old February 28th 06, 12:08 PM posted to aus.bicycle

Peter Signorini wrote:
"Theo Bekkers" wrote:
Peter Signorini wrote:

I hurl volumes of silent abuse, and thank God I never took up
such a socially obnoxious pursuit as motorbiking.

Get my drift?

Yes Peter, I do. Do you really think all motorcyclists are socially
obnoxious?

No reflection on you personally Zebee, I'm sure you're a responsible rider,
but any who behave as I described certainly are socially obnoxoius. On the
Reefton Spur Rd on a typical Sunday that's an awful lot of them.

No more obnoxious than the Hell Ride riders who play at road racing on
Beach Rd!

There's dickheads in every group, no matter what they have as a common
factor, beit motorcycling, bike riding, driving landbarges ...

For what it's worth, I use a motorbike as my other transport (mainly
pushbike, the MB gets a run every week or so when necessary to cover
long distances faster than my pushy can go!). I don't endanger any
cyclists when I ride it, and your calling motorbiking socially
obnoxious is one I take offence to. I ride a motorbike because it's a
lot less damaging to the environment than a car, but it's my compromise
to practicality. It's *more* responsible (or less irresponsible!) than
a car.

All generalisations are wrong, remember?

Old February 28th 06, 12:47 PM posted to aus.bicycle

Theo Bekkers wrote:

Yes Peter, I do. Do you really think all motorcyclists are socially
obnoxious? I don't believe I am, I don't believe Zebee is, or Bleve. Do you
think I become non-obnoxious when I get on one of my bicycles?

Yes, bicycle seats don't put pressure on the "obnoxious" pressure points
like motorcycle seats do {:-)
Old February 28th 06, 02:08 PM posted to aus.bicycle

"Bleve" wrote:

There's dickheads in every group, no matter what they have as a common
factor, beit motorcycling, bike riding, driving landbarges ...

Yes, agree muchly.

For what it's worth, I use a motorbike as my other transport (mainly
pushbike, the MB gets a run every week or so when necessary to cover
long distances faster than my pushy can go!). I don't endanger any
cyclists when I ride it, and your calling motorbiking socially
obnoxious is one I take offence to.

I accept that it is a personal call about transport type, and as long as
it's done responsibly I don't bitch too much. I'm not trying to make a
generalisation against all motorcyclists, only those GP-wannabees who shave
my elbow, crackling their ear-splitting exhausts. No offence meant to people
on this group.

I ride a motorbike because it's a
lot less damaging to the environment than a car, but it's my compromise
to practicality. It's *more* responsible (or less irresponsible!) than
a car.

I drive a car because I saw a friend get killed riding his motorbike. My
personal view was that this was a more responsible decision for my family
and future children.

Note also that I drive a Commodore, and I believe I drive it responsibly. I
have two kids, and we often take trips with camping gear and bikes, so the
space is valauble. Recently I have been commuting 2-5 days per week so the
Commode/Stinkadore/etc doesn't clog the roads and air as much. I have often
noted many disparaging comments from posters here about Commodore drivers
but, until now, have not found it necessary to take them to task over any
offence caused to me.

All generalisations are wrong, remember?

As you say.

Cheers
Peter