Staying Warm in the Cold

Old November 7th 07, 11:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Crescentius Vespasianus

Default Staying Warm in the Cold

Steve Sr. wrote:
Hello,

It is that time of year when the mercury is steadily falling. Even in
North Carolina it has been getting cold enough lately to bring out the
long sleeves and tights.

I have a lot of the cold issues sorted out as far as what equipment to
wear at what temperature. However, I still have one nagging problem.

That problem is with my chest and inside of my arms getting cold in
the front while my back sweats. I have tried different layering
schemes but none seem to work very well. The layers consist of a long
sleeve jersey, short sleeve jersey, and a thin fleece jacket if
temperatures are cold enough.

All of these seem to have the same problem. They appear to breathe too
well in the front and not well enough in the back.

One question that comes to mind is how tight should these layers be? I
don't seem to have problem with my legs being cold or sweating. Is
that because of the material that the tights are made of or is it
because they are contacting every square inch of skin continuously?

My torso layers are not real loose but are not nearly as tight as my
tights? Could this be the problem with my torso getting cold in the
front while sweating in the back?

Thanks for any insight.

Steve

----------------
Put the coolmax away and put on the
wool. And always have a full cap on
your head (not coolmax), that's where
you lose the most heat.
Old November 7th 07, 11:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Crescentius Vespasianus

Go to www.wiggys.com; read the use letter for keeping warm. Wiggys
has the lightest and
BEST WORKING, insulated gear in the world.

Jams in Ohio

------------
Why is "fire retardation" a big part of
their clothes line. I've never had a
fire problem while riding, unless maybe
the battery in the bottle cage lights up
due to all the current the light is drawing.

Old November 14th 07, 03:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
clare at snyder.on.ca

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 21:39:37 -0500, Steve Sr.
wrote:

Hello,

It is that time of year when the mercury is steadily falling. Even in
North Carolina it has been getting cold enough lately to bring out the
long sleeves and tights.

I have a lot of the cold issues sorted out as far as what equipment to
wear at what temperature. However, I still have one nagging problem.

That problem is with my chest and inside of my arms getting cold in
the front while my back sweats. I have tried different layering
schemes but none seem to work very well. The layers consist of a long
sleeve jersey, short sleeve jersey, and a thin fleece jacket if
temperatures are cold enough.

All of these seem to have the same problem. They appear to breathe too
well in the front and not well enough in the back.

Simple solution - wear a windbreaker backwards and leave the zipper
open BG

Old November 14th 07, 03:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
vey

Steve Sr. wrote:

That problem is with my chest and inside of my arms getting cold in
the front while my back sweats.

Being a really cheap *******, I would fashion something out of nylon or
plastic just for my chest. I would insert it between some of those layers.
Old November 14th 07, 03:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Zoot Katz

wrote, in part:
\
That problem is with my chest and inside of my arms getting cold in
the front while my back sweats. I have tried different layering
schemes but none seem to work very well. The layers consist of a long
sleeve jersey, short sleeve jersey, and a thin fleece jacket if
temperatures are cold enough.

\
Try adding a wind breaking layer, preferably with vents.

I've a Sugoui, full zip, long sleeve jersey that looks like a
synthetic version of Egyptian Cotton on the front, sleeves and
shoulders about to mid back. The back side of the sleeves and lower
back, with three pockets, is Lycra like a heavy jersey. I wear it as
an outside layer or as a third layer depending on the weather. I
love it despite its being dayglo fluorescent hot pink.

For this time of year I also love wool long sleeved sweaters sized
too large and shrunk to aid water repellency.

The time-honoured trick is to stick a newspaper down your shirt.
--
zk
Old November 14th 07, 03:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Joel Wheels

Steve Sr. wrote:

That problem is with my chest and inside of my arms getting cold in
the front while my back sweats.

I have a vest that's windproof in front and just mesh in back. It helps
but is not perfect.

I always keep my front torso warm and reduce arm/head/hand coverage to
keep from overheating. I also just accept the wet back which only
bothers me when I'm cold. So back to the keep warm comment. I wear
wool jerseys this time of year.

All of these seem to have the same problem. They appear to breathe too
well in the front and not well enough in the back.

I'd word that differently. One has much more air flowing over one's
front than one's back and it is that airflow quantity that affects the
heat dissipation or lack of.

Perhaps you can fashion an adjustable air intake necklace that directs
air over your back. When developed, r.b.m/t awaits your spam. I'd
consider it.

Or perhaps you need to shave your back?

Old November 14th 07, 04:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Jim Flom

"Steve Sr." wrote ...

One question that comes to mind is how tight should these layers be? I
don't seem to have problem with my legs being cold or sweating. Is
that because of the material that the tights are made of or is it
because they are contacting every square inch of skin continuously?

My torso layers are not real loose but are not nearly as tight as my
tights? Could this be the problem with my torso getting cold in the
front while sweating in the back?

Thanks for any insight.

Welcome.

The first rule of retail is "Always give the customer what he thinks he
wants." (courtesy of Ron "Rocky" Roth, Geppetto's, Ashland , OR). I'm
tempted to answer the questions you ask but that would not help you.

In straight up violation of Rocky's first rule of retail, what I think you
really want to know is how can I stay warm when I ride in the cold?

Yes, you can try newspaper and saran wrap, as cheapskates elsewhere have
suggested. Alternatively, consider the following:

This windstop underwear and brief may save your very manhood:
http://www.nordicskater.com/garneau/index.html

or perhaps...
http://www.trisports.com/logamewibu....nnelid=BIZ RA

Keep your head warm with a nice nylon skull cap and your toes warm with
booties and/or baggies over your toes. Works wonders.

--
JF

"A really great man is known by three signs,--generosity in the design,
humanity in the execution, and moderation in success."
- Karl Otto von Schonhausen Bismarck

Old November 14th 07, 04:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Steve Sr. wrote:
[...]

If I had secure ground level storage, I would get this to stay warm in
the winter: http://leitra.dk/news.php. But then again, I am incorrigible.

"the grinning buddy bear carries a fork." - g.d.